Good, reliable firewall

can someone give me the name of a good, reliable firewall/virus protection?

Are you looking for free software, or commercial?

The built in firewall in the Vista operating system is pretty good, as far as software firewalls go. If you want to monitor outgoing programs as well as block inbound stuff in XP, you might look at the Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6, which you can download here: http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160
I used to use it, and had no problems, but I’ve gone back to just using the built in firewall in XP and a router.

Free antivirus programs include AVG, AntiVir and Avast. I use Avast and have no complaints with it.

If you want commercial programs, look at Kaspersky and Trend Micro’s products.

Are u using XP or Vista? Lets presume its Vista. The built-in firewall in Vista is pretty neat, but the hassle of making it work also on outbound connections makes is far from user friendly, but there´s a remedy for that. I´ve been using http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html Vista Firewall Control for some time, amazing little program and it really turns control over the Vista firewall in your own hands. Very easy to use, you get to control not only the inbound connections but also, in a very effective manner, the outbound ones. Check that out. Commercial software, but nevertheless…

Free firewalls…the most effective one must be Comodo Personal Firewall Pro. The brand new v.3 might very well be the best one out there, commercial or free. Some people have reported that its not for the faint of heart when it comes to configuring, but if you have at least basic knowledge of firewalls im sure you will get the hang of it pretty fast.

I would recommend Windows Live One Care, goes good with Vista and has some really cool features and has firewall. I purchased it last month at Best Buy for 20 dollars after instant rebate. I recommend it. I still use freeware for anti-spyware like Spybot, Spyblaster, AVG RootKit Finder and EMCO Malware Destroyer, for these days more protection is better. Finally as for Live One Care, look for the sales. Good Luck.

Outpost or zonealarm is fine enough for standard users, but even their full products cannot match a hardware firewall, eg in routers.

[QUOTE=chef;1954305]Outpost or zonealarm is fine enough for standard users, [B]but even their full products cannot match a hardware firewall, eg in routers.[/B][/QUOTE]

which is exactly why im posting telling the original poster to get a “hardware firewall” (aka a router as you said) i recommend Linksys brand as there pretty common and work well.

cause if your going to pay for a software firewall my advice is get a Linksys Router instead cause there pretty cheap nowadays especially the wired ones (wireless probably cost a little more) plus with a router you can get multiple PC’s on a internet connection and so much more etc etc :wink:

[QUOTE=E-Buzz;1954255]Are u using XP or Vista? Lets presume its Vista. The built-in firewall in Vista is pretty neat, but the hassle of making it work also on outbound connections makes is far from user friendly,[/QUOTE]Software, that will “phone home” won’t be stopped by any “firewall” software at all.

[QUOTE=Applee;1954234]can someone give me the name of a good, reliable firewall/virus protection?[/QUOTE]

As other have stated having a good software and hardware firewall is better then nothing…but I would say go for Zonealarm if you willing to tweak its setting to suit your net needs…and a router is also a good way to go. But before we go there what kinda internet connection do you have ie DSL, Cable, Fiber, T3…??? Linksys is good for router but it depends on what net connections you have and if you have more then one computer connected to the internet on that connections will determine what kinda router hardware and software set you will have…??

If you’re going the free route, I’d recommend AVG and for a firewall, the Sygate firewall Kerry56 mentioned. That one is especially good if you like to use a program like Azureus. What’s also free is Spybot Search & Destroy, which I would also download and use, to provide extra protection against trojans and spyware, for example. If you go for pay AV, I’d say AVG first, or as a 2nd choice, TrendMicro Internet Security (if you can get a really good deal from it on sale).

A damn good software based firewall for Windows is Comodo Firewall Pro, but I would not turn on the Defense+ in the new 3.0 just yet… It’s buggy and needs to be worked out. I’m sticking with XP for a while, but the new release of Comodo works with Vista x64.

[QUOTE=Applee;1954234]can someone give me the name of a good, reliable firewall/virus protection?[/QUOTE]

Do you you a (ADSL) router to connect to the internet? If so, which one?