Good Reliable burner or bd-hd rom combo?

I need to buy a new dvd burner cause my old nec has reached the limit of maximum recordings and now it cant burn discs without coasting them, and it cant even read most of my disc collection either!

So anyway my question is this. Shall i go for a dvd-recorder exclusively or should i look for features such as bd-rom and hd-rom as well?

What do you guys reckon? I’m favouring pioneer for my next optical drives, and specifically these 3.

http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.326617
http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.326616
http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.326621

The 216 and the 116 are the same, only the interface is different, one is sata and the other is ide, so depending on your needs you should get the one that you want.

The bdc-s02 is to expensive, but if you want to watch BD movies then is should be a good choise, unless you can spent some 80 euros more and get an LG BD/DVD/CD burner.

None of them can deal with HD-DVD media.

More specific questions.

A)Are there any better choices for dvd burners than the 216/116 pionner drives?
B)Is there any significant difference on the quality of the burn depending on the interface SATA/IDE? Cause i would need to get a sata controller since there’s no sata port on the PC i need to install the drive.
C)I know that none of the aboe support hd-dvd. Is there a drive for bothe blu-ray and hd-dvd rom support that can burn dvd discs as well?

Thank you guys for your help. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=therock003;2238044]More specific questions.

A)Are there any better choices for dvd burners than the 216/116 pionner drives?[/QUOTE]

The only better i can think its the 720xA series.

[QUOTE=therock003;2238044]B)Is there any significant difference on the quality of the burn depending on the interface SATA/IDE? Cause i would need to get a sata controller since there’s no sata port on the PC i need to install the drive.[/QUOTE]

No difference, just one drive is sata and the other is ATA.

[QUOTE=therock003;2238044]C)I know that none of the aboe support hd-dvd. Is there a drive for bothe blu-ray and hd-dvd rom support that can burn dvd discs as well?

Thank you guys for your help. :)[/QUOTE]

The LG i have posted above can read bd/hd/dvd/dvd and burn bd/dvd/cd.

[QUOTE=vroom;2238077]
No difference, just one drive is sata and the other is ATA.[/quote]

Yes i understand that, i mean since sata provides greater bandwidth due to the improved interface, does that matter on the issue of optical drives? Or is it meant for user that generally prefer sata due to the lack of interest for IDE?

Me personally i prefer the IDE in this case, cause it saves me the trouble of purchasing the sata controller.

The LG i have posted above can read bd/hd/dvd/dvd and burn bd/dvd/cd.

The thing is that it’s pricey since it can burn bd as well. I only want read capabilities for these formats so i can save some money.

If there’s no other alternative, i only need to know if the dvd quality compares to the pioneer models.

[QUOTE=therock003;2238166]Yes i understand that, i mean since sata provides greater bandwidth due to the improved interface, does that matter on the issue of optical drives? Or is it meant for user that generally prefer sata due to the lack of interest for IDE?

Me personally i prefer the IDE in this case, cause it saves me the trouble of purchasing the sata controller.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to get a bd drive then SATA is the only way, but if you are going to get a dvd-rw then IDE is good for everyday use.

[QUOTE=therock003;2238166]The thing is that it’s pricey since it can burn bd as well. I only want read capabilities for these formats so i can save some money.

If there’s no other alternative, i only need to know if the dvd quality compares to the pioneer models.[/QUOTE]

If you have some old hd-dvd then you dont have many options, but if you dont have any hd-dvd, then dont bother searching for a drive that would play this media.

Ok fair enough

If you have some old hd-dvd then you dont have many options, but if you dont have any hd-dvd, then dont bother searching for a drive that would play this media.

No i dont own any HD-DVD i only needed it for variety, but i dont care all that much so it’s down to the bdc-s02 the 116 and the 720xA series.

BTW what manufacturer produces the 720xA and may i ask why do you consider it better than 116/216?

720x is mad by Optiarc.

And is it considered better than the pioneer drives?

For me it’s better than the x16, but the pioneer is also one of the best burners out there.

Is this the one?

http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.331713

If you have decided to get a dvd-/+RW, then yes this is (for me) the best drive at the moment.

7200 (just a dvd burner)
7201 has lightscribe
7203 has labelflash

So you have to decide what you need, and choose the correct drive.

I have both and both are fine.
Ah, well, the A16J rocks. :smiley: