Good receiver with HDMI and audio processing under US$1000?

vbimport

Hello, I can’t say that I’m new to hi-def since I own LCD TV for quite a while and have been watching hidef broadcasts since. I just bought a new blu-ray player (PS3) and I’m in the market for a new receiver. My old one doesn’t have HDMI inputs. I will probably need 3 HDMI inputs (not sure) since I also have hd box from my cable company so it would be nice if there is a spare hdmi input for future needs.

I read in this forum that the receiver need to have high def audio processor, which my old one doesn’t have, only DTS max.

My old denon was above 1K but since I’m planning on getting some more hidef gears, I’m looking for a good receiver under $1K, any advice?

I recently bought an Onkyo SR-705 from Circuit City for $650.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-TX-SR705-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-Black-TX-SR705/sem/rpsm/oid/185975/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I like it so far. It has 3 HDMI inputs and will decode all Blu-ray and HD-DVD soundtracks sent via bitstream (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, lossless PCM). The one thing it won’t do is decode 192 kHz sound sources. Although I’m not sure what discs these are on; I haven’t run into that problem yet.

The cheaper Onkyo SR-605 can be had for $400.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-TX-SR605-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-Black-TX-SR605/sem/rpsm/oid/181406/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The 605 only has 2 HDMI inputs though. Also, unlike the 705, it can’t “expand” 5.1 lossless PCM sources to 7.1 sound.

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2009035]I recently bought an Onkyo SR-705 from Circuit City for $650.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-TX-SR705-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-Black-TX-SR705/sem/rpsm/oid/185975/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I like it so far. It has 3 HDMI inputs and will decode all Blu-ray and HD-DVD soundtracks sent via bitstream (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, lossless PCM). The one thing it won’t do is decode 192 kHz sound sources. Although I’m not sure what discs these are on; I haven’t run into that problem yet.

The cheaper Onkyo SR-605 can be had for $400.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-TX-SR605-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-Black-TX-SR605/sem/rpsm/oid/181406/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The 605 only has 2 HDMI inputs though. Also, unlike the 705, it can’t “expand” 5.1 lossless PCM sources to 7.1 sound.[/QUOTE]Nice…what speakers do you run with that receiver?

[QUOTE=Bob;2009038]Nice…what speakers do you run with that receiver?[/QUOTE]

Heh. I’ve been meaning to upgrade those. Right now, I’m using - I think - these.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-VE367T-7-1-Channel-Surround-Speaker/dp/B00025G08E

Bought them from Best Buy 3 or 4 years ago for $150. 135-watt 8" subwoofer. The 120-watt center channel speaker is oriented horizontally. All six other speakers are 135-watts and are oriented vertically.

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2009052]Heh. I’ve been meaning to upgrade those. Right now, I’m using - I think - these.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-VE367T-7-1-Channel-Surround-Speaker/dp/B00025G08E

Bought them from Best Buy 3 or 4 years ago for $150. 135-watt 8" subwoofer. The 120-watt center channel speaker is oriented horizontally. All six other speakers are 135-watts and are oriented vertically.[/QUOTE]
Well if they don’t distort at high volume then they should be ok. I like the looks of that receivers specs.

[QUOTE=helsenvan;2009022]Hello, I can’t say that I’m new to hi-def since I own LCD TV for quite a while and have been watching hidef broadcasts since. I just bought a new blu-ray player (PS3) and I’m in the market for a new receiver. My old one doesn’t have HDMI inputs. I will probably need 3 HDMI inputs (not sure) since I also have hd box from my cable company so it would be nice if there is a spare hdmi input for future needs.

I read in this forum that the receiver need to have high def audio processor, which my old one doesn’t have, only DTS max.

My old denon was above 1K but since I’m planning on getting some more hidef gears, I’m looking for a good receiver under $1K, any advice?[/QUOTE]

There’s a lot of choices under $1k. The best route will be to first decide what features you NEED and when features you WANT. How many HDMI inputs, etc.
You don’t need HD audio processing, because the disc players can decode HD audio and send it as multichannel PCM, which is lossless. Only a few disc players can send HD audio as bitstream, which is what you want if you want your receiver to decode. You also need HDMI 1.3/1.3a for that. The disc players all decode HD audio very well, and you won’t hear any difference in either method.

However, in the $1k price range, most AVRs will have HDMI 1.3a and at least 3 HDMI inputs. Many will offer video upscaling, or at least conversion of analog inputs to HDMI, but usually it’s better to let your monitor or player handle upscaling and conversions. One other consideration is 7:1 audio processing. You want the capability of decoding 5:1 audio into 7:1, which any of these will do, except the Onkyo 605.

There’s at least 3 Onkyo 7:1 and 3-4 Yamaha 7:1 models that fall into your price range, and both these brands are highly respected. Note that Yamaha is in the process of rolling out new models, so you may see old and new models for sale. My personal preference would be the Yamaha RX-V663, V863 or V1800 models. The 1800 will blow your hair back without breaking a sweat, but they are all very fine hardware. You may find a good deal on any of the Yamaha discontinued models, the V661, V861 or V1700.

And don’t go cheap on your speakers!

[quote=Some Random Guy;2009035]I recently bought an Onkyo SR-705 from Circuit City for $650.
[/quote]The Onkyo TX-SR805 is $100 more, $750 at onecall, amazon, and crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jgaQ6oLeciQ/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=580TXS805B&g=10420&s=0&cc=01

Compared to SR705, the SR805 has more power (130 vs 100w), more zones (3/3 vs 2/2), and more input ouput. Both have 3 HDMI inputs however.

Thank you for the advice so far. I have narrowed down to four receivers based on you guys inputs, Onkyo TSXR705, 805, yamaha V861, V1800. With the exception of V1800, all of them fall into my price range.

I buy most electronic stuff at cructfield, they are excellent customer support. Here is the comparison table for the receivers. Can you guys give a look and help me decide.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=10420&s=0&c=4&cc=01&compareItems=580TXS705B&compareItems=580TXS805B&compareItems=022RXV861&compareItems=022RXV1800

The prices are:
Onkyo TXSR705: $650
Yamaha RX-V861: $900
Onkyo TXSR805: $750
Yamaha RX-V1800: $1,200.

I think the Onkyo 705 specification is similar to Yamaha 861 and the Onkyo 805 similar to Yamaha V1800 but the price differ so much!

The Yamaha 1800 has a much heavier amp section, look at the weights on your choices. It also has more inputs. The V861 is a discontinued model, so you really shouldn’t be paying full retail for it, the new models will be shipping this month. I’d choose Yamaha over Onkyo, but I’m biased towards Yamaha. I’d add that Crutchfield is generally over-priced. You can walk into a store and get one for that price.

I think I can wait a few more weeks for the new Yamaha version (V863?). Do you know what will be the retail price? If the V861 now is $900 I think the V863 will be over 1000? Bestbuy also sells V861 for $899. Then maybe I can just get the Onkyo 805 for $750? They are quite similar in specs. What do you think CDan?

Yo-

After a thorough research of the Onkyo TX-SR-805 - I have ordered one to replace my Denon AVR-3802-

Will report results after received and installed-eh!!

Got it for less than $700 - shipped - in black!!!

Any of the Sony ES lines are really nice! Check Crutchfield.com they have a nice line of these models.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2015607]Yo-

After a thorough research of the Onkyo TX-SR-805 - I have ordered one to replace my Denon AVR-3802-

Got it for less than $700 - shipped - in black!!![/QUOTE]

Off Topic…Big Mike? are you willing to let one of you Ben Q’s go? :bigsmile:

Onkyo makes some nice sounding amp sections in their gear and my 777 is still going strong after close to 10 years of service, still sounds great.
I do miss mot having built in component or HDMI inputs/switching though and the newer audio formats would be nice.
The 805 is supposed to have issues with lipsync according to some, never listened to one to see how it is. The Denons I listened to back when shopping for the Onkyo sounded very nice as well, but I got a exellent price on it at the time so I went with it and it was THX certified too.
I’d be interested to hear what you think of it when you get it set up. The Sony ES stuff is also top notch, much better then the consumer grade CRAP they sell to most folks at BB and CC stores. I had a Sony strd-2070 with a awesome sounding amp section, it did develop issues after about 7 years of service but it was bad grounds to the main circuit boards and was a cheap fix, friend still uses it today.

[QUOTE=THE C.;2015662]Off Topic…Big Mike? are you willing to let one of you Ben Q’s go? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yo C-

Naw - gonna keep em around to do disc quality tests on my CD-R’s-eh!! :smiley:

[quote=bigmike7;2015607]Yo-

Got it for less than $700 - shipped - in black!!![/quote]
Must be nice to live in the USA eh!!.:stuck_out_tongue: The cheapest I can find the Onkyo 805 in Canada is $1499.00. I am still haggling over price to get the Onkyo 705 for under $800.00.:frowning:

Yo crossg-

Have y’all tried Vanns in Montana @ www.vanns.com to see if they ship to Canada-

Their prices - warranties and service are exceptional-eh!!

[quote=bigmike7;2017374]Yo crossg-

Have y’all tried Vanns in Montana @ www.vanns.com to see if they ship to Canada-

Their prices - warranties and service are exceptional-eh!![/quote]Thanks Mike I will check it out.:slight_smile:

Yo-

Got my Onkyo TX-SR805 hooked with my Toshiba HD - A3 over the weekend and the results are nothing short of outstanding-eh!!!

This receiver replaced my 7 year old Denon AVR-3802 - and the sounds and functions are amazingly powerful-

For less than $700 - shipped - this is one extremely powerful and heavy - full featured receiver with THX Ultra2 and 130 watts of high power punch-

That you can hook up both HDMI and all other video sources and have them delivered via HDMI to the HD-TV makes it all the better-eh!!!