Good Quality DVD 4X RW Media?

My LiteOn 812S is doing a great job burning either Ridata +R or Maxell -R 4X discs but I can’t find any 4X RW media thats worth anything.

Tried both Fuji (Ricoh) and Memorex (Philips 041) 4X +RW’s and they both verify fine on Nero but won’t complete a Kprobe scan and usually die with an unrecovered read error.

Would like something available locally in the US so I can return it if I get results like the two above.

I will mail order if I needed, to get something worth using but don’t want a large quantity of DVD RW media.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

Mitsubishi/Verbatim 4X +RWs work well on my 811S.

My LDW-451S@851S loves RICOHJPNW11 discs. It burns them with super low PI/PO (e.g. PI Max ~15, PO Max ~8 @ 4x8/ECC), better than a lot of DVD-R media!

I rather doubt that there’s a burn-quality issue with Ricoh W-01 or W-11, I suspect this problem might reflect some other issue in the way they are burned.

What is being burned?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]I rather doubt that there’s a burn-quality issue with Ricoh W-01 or W-11, I suspect this problem might reflect some other issue in the way they are burned.

What is being burned? [/B]

Have burned both Data Files/Folders and also DVD Video. Some DVD video was backups and some was MPEG2 captures then authored to DVD.

The data has always been burned by Nero and the DVD video has been burned by Nero, TMPGEnc DVD Author and DVD Shrink (courtesy of Nero). All are latest versions as of today.

The data and video always passes Nero’s Verify data and the DVD Video always plays fine in my Denon Setop player whether it was burned by Nero, DVD Shrink or by TMPGEnc.

This was the case on Both the Fuji (Ricoh) and Memorex (Philips 041) discs in both the 812S and a 411S I returned.

I’m not sure exactly what Ricoh formulation the Fuji’s were but this was all 4X +RW media burned at 4X.

What brand names might I find Ricoh W-01 or W-11 's under?

Any other ideas are appreciated.

I’d like to have some 4X RW media around for test VHS captures and for incremental data backups but I don’t have confidence in any RW media I’ve written except for testing.

Thanks.

The data and video always passes Nero’s Verify data and the DVD Video always plays fine in my Denon Setop player whether it was burned by Nero, DVD Shrink or by TMPGEnc.

So what’s the problem? Seems to be working well enough. If you can run a full-speed CDSpeed transfer rate test, then there’s nothing wrong with the discs.

Ricoh JPNW-01 is 2.4x, JPNW-11 is 4x. It’s all the same media regardless of the brand labeling.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Seems to be working well enough. If you can run a full-speed CDSpeed transfer rate test, then there’s nothing wrong with the discs.

I never did a Nero CD-DVD speed test, just the verify that you can run right after a burn. Does that run the same test as selecting DVD speed from the Nero Toolkit folder?

I was just concerned that the discs wouldn’t pass a Kprobe scan without an unrecoverable read error.

I just finished a Nero Full Erase at 4X on one of the Memorex (Philips 041) discs that wouldn’t pass a Kprobe scan before. I ran the attached Kprobe scan right after the full erase, and it completes now and looks pretty good.

Do you need to full erase a DVD-RW before you write data to it?

Come to think of it, the place where the Kprobe scans were dying before the Full Erase was about where the data would have ended. Is it possible that the area that had never had data written to it was causing the failure on Kprobe?

If a full erase should always be ran before using RW media, I never realized it. I just figured you would do a quick erase and start using the media.

If a full erase is needed, should I do one each time I rewrite the disc or just when I open a new one?

Thanks.

Originally posted by offroad
[B]I never did a Nero CD-DVD speed test, just the verify that you can run right after a burn. Does that run the same test as selecting DVD speed from the Nero Toolkit folder?

I was just concerned that the discs wouldn’t pass a Kprobe scan without an unrecoverable read error.

I just finished a Nero Full Erase at 4X on one of the Memorex (Philips 041) discs that wouldn’t pass a Kprobe scan before. I ran the attached Kprobe scan right after the full erase, and it completes now and looks pretty good.

Do you need to full erase a DVD-RW before you write data to it?

Come to think of it, the place where the Kprobe scans were dying before the Full Erase was about where the data would have ended. Is it possible that the area that had never had data written to it was causing the failure on Kprobe?

If a full erase should always be ran before using RW media, I never realized it. I just figured you would do a quick erase and start using the media.

If a full erase is needed, should I do one each time I rewrite the disc or just when I open a new one?

Thanks. [/B]

So you found it by yourself !

You need to do at least a quick erase of the disk before you write to it the classical way (no packet writing).
Make a full erase or format from time to time when you encounter problems.
In Cd Speeed you do a “Scandisk” to verufy the readability of disk sectors like in Windows.

Happy Rewriting !