Good quality cdr media?

hi there…
ive just moved to the uk recently.

earlier i was using moser baer cdr since i didnt have access to any other good brands.
since moving to the uk i have a lot of options. but i dont know which cdr to go for.
ive read on the forums that taiyo yuden is the best.
but is it good for audio?
should i get audio only media or general purpose cdr’s.

i want a media which is widely readable and should also last me. im a dj so they will be used almost everyday on different players.

wat do u guys suggest?
and also if u could guide me to where to get it…

thx…

Taiyo Yuden is the best for Audio CDs as well. If you need a cheaper alternative, the Verbatim CDs are also a good choice. Both TY and Verbatim have very good longetivity stored under proper conditions. Now if you are looking for bargains/sales/where to buy, check out the Bargain Basement here and look for the one with the UK thread about bargains–there should be something posted there. :wink:

Taiyo Yuden IMO :iagree:…I burn audio at 16x with them and can thoroughly recommend them.

Being in the UK you may also see them under the Verbatim brand (in stores like PC World and Staples) - look for “Made in Japan” on the packaging.

You can also buy Taiyo Yuden online at www.svp.co.uk

These discs also work well for my mum’s boyfriend, who is also a DJ :wink:

I suggest you get some Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs e.g. in the form of Verbatim “Pastel” CD-R.

You might be able to get them in some stores, but the easiest way is to buy online. I can recommend SVP.

EDIT: The kitty got there first. :wink:

EDIT2: For the toughest top-surface you can get, I can also suggest Verbatim Crystal Super AZO (now renamed to “AZO”) which you can also get from SVP.

I kinda wish Verbatim would sell them in a non pastel version…I mean what am I going to do with all these Pink discs! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=IdontexistM8;1950353]I kinda wish Verbatim would sell them in a non pastel version…I mean what am I going to do with all these Pink discs! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

They do. I’ve seen (and bought) Verbatim “Extra Protection” CDRs in Staples, and I’ve also seen them in PCW. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1950385]They do. I’ve seen (and bought) Verbatim “Extra Protection” CDRs in Staples, and I’ve also seen them in PCW. :)[/QUOTE]

:iagree: I’ve seen a lot of them this year.

[quote=Arachne;1950385]They do. I’ve seen (and bought) Verbatim “Extra Protection” CDRs in Staples, and I’ve also seen them in PCW. :)[/quote] But the Verbatim Extra Protection can be almost anything, including CMC, Prodisc, Moser Baer or Taiyo Yuden.

Only the Made in Japan version of Extra Protection are Taiyo Yudens.

This makes it impractical to buy these online, as the Country of Origin is usually not advertised.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1950513]But the Verbatim Extra Protection can be almost anything, including CMC, Prodisc, Moser Baer or Taiyo Yuden.

Only the Made in Japan version of Extra Protection are Taiyo Yudens.

This makes it impractical to buy these online, as the Country of Origin is usually not advertised.[/QUOTE]

True, and true :slight_smile:

But the OP didn’t stipulate that it needed to be bought online :wink:

That’s right you have to buy them in a store. :iagree:

just ordered a 100 pack taiyo yuden silver pack and a 50 pack verbatim azo frm svp.
thx a lot guys…

Mildly OT but how durable is the top coating on the TY Silvers?

[QUOTE=IdontexistM8;1951702]Mildly OT but how durable is the top coating on the TY Silvers?[/QUOTE]

Seems OK for me so far but watch out for fingerprints. :wink:

There were isolated reports of holes in the reflective layer after 1 year but then again it is unsure how much it was related to the disc storage as it was a report of a customer return.

If you want to be absolutely sure, I’m sure the printable version has a stronger top layer. :slight_smile:

Yep, I have both and of the two I would go for the printables. :iagree:

TY silver DVD is fine for scratches, as are all DVDs.

Beware of the TY silver CD-Rs though. Quite weak and I’ve damaged the reflective layer a number of times myself. You have to be very careful with them, unfortunately.

I figure I just got really lucky…

Picked up a 50 roll of [B]Verbatim Extra Protection[/B] Made in Japan €11.99
and also a 50 roll of [B]Verbatim Pastels[/B] Made in Japan €12.99

(at Galeria Kaufhof, and Saturn…for those in Germany)

Anyone care to say what the difference really is???
:doh:

[QUOTE=deanimator;1952442]I figure I just got really lucky…

Picked up a 50 roll of [B]Verbatim Extra Protection[/B] Made in Japan €11.99
and also a 50 roll of [B]Verbatim Pastels[/B] Made in Japan €12.99

(at Galeria Kaufhof, and Saturn…for those in Germany)

Anyone care to say what the difference really is???
:doh:[/QUOTE]

Nice that you could pick up the Pastels in a retail store. We have to buy online in the UK :slight_smile:

I’ve only used the Extra Protection ones, and haven’t opened my Pastels yet, so can’t say about any difference.

The Pastels are much prettier though :bigsmile: