Ok, had some time for some testing, so below are my initial results:
Before installing DSS 1.0.1, I tested out ripping Monsters, Inc. with DVDDecrypter 184.108.40.206 in file mode, with all files selected (for a total of 7.82GB).
I should have gotten a screenshot of the log, showing the average read rate and maximum read rate, but I think the average was like 2.0x, max being 2.1x. The total time was 50:39.
I then installed DSS 1.0.1. It starts off in Automatic mode:
So I changed it to Overdrive, which took less than a second:
It added a handy system tray icon with more functionality:
When I ran DVDDecrypter 220.127.116.11, the results were instantaneous. The DVD started ripping at 3.5x, then gradually moved to around 6.4x (towards the middle of the DVD), then wound down to 4x:
As you can see, it took only 18:28, with an average read rate of 5.5x and a max of 8.1x. Excellent results! My only gripe is that the software seems a little buggy, causing sluggishness in my system (which clears up once I exit the program), but hey, it's only version 1.0.1! I'm just glad that I don't have to wait 45-50 minutes to rip a DVD anymore. Having a portable system limits me to one 5.25 inch drive, so I can't add a faster drive unless it's external, which would defeat the purpose of portability. Finally, a yay for Sony!