Good idea to return bad discs of backed-up games? :/

Well, I was disappointed after burning off my Gamecube games today - pretty shoddy quality rates and very few worked.

Anyway, I’ve emailed SVP (in UK) about returning them, will get reply tomorrow. My question is: should I send the burned discs back? I’ll stand t lose money if I don’t.

I mean, they’re backups of games that I own but it’s still a grey area, legally speaking.

Well, would the discs work if they weren’t just being used for the GC? That’s my first question.

They could be returned I guess, you do own the games so it’s not like you’re doing anything illegal.

It’s up to you really but if you can use those discs to play in a dvd player, it may be better just to use them for that purpose only.

But I don’t need mini DVDs for my DVD player.

I mean, DVDs have both data and video usage applications- I bought these 8cm DVDs for GC backups (data).

Fact is, the quality scans 75% of the time have a horrific spike in them that makes the discs unusable and a sub-50 mark on Nero CD-DVD Speed.

I have 6x 10 disc tubs of them, I’ve used 11 discs. Should I send the used 11 back?

Hm nah not worth the risk, just send the unopened ones back.

Ming posting some scans as well so we know what the results and media look like?

Sure, I’ll get on it (keep checking back).

For info on said discs, they’re the Traxdata ones mentioned here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/best-8cm-mini-dvds-arent-verbs-242757/

OK, 1st one Super Mario Sunshine

General Information
Drive: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D
Firmware: 1.06
Disc: DVD-R (RITEKG04)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 879
Average: 278.86
Total: 1551552
PI failures
Maximum: 19
Average: 0.11
Total: 4761
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 8:34
Number of samples: 5567
Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

Next up Mario Party 6

General Information
PI errors
Maximum: 736
Average: 283.91
Total: 1579665
PI failures
Maximum: 39
Average: 0.08
Total: 3751
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 8:49

Hmm, Pioneers are not too good as scanners.
Go to Disc Quality -> Settings -> Advanced, switch from 8ECC to 1ECC, and set the slider from Accuracy to Speed, then try scanning again. :slight_smile:

…And Mario Party 5

Yeah I also tried it on my Lite-On downstairs and got similar results.

General Information
PI errors
Maximum: 746
Average: 286.59
Total: 1594601
PI failures
Maximum: 20
Average: 0.17
Total: 7727
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 6:41

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2035823]Well, I was disappointed after burning off my Gamecube games today - pretty shoddy quality rates and very few worked.

Anyway, I’ve emailed SVP (in UK) about returning them, will get reply tomorrow. My question is: should I send the burned discs back? I’ll stand t lose money if I don’t.

I mean, they’re backups of games that I own but it’s still a grey area, legally speaking.[/QUOTE]

Do these origirals come with copy protection schemes?
Is it legal in your country to make a backup of a disc which has a copy protection on it?

Ritek G04 :Z

Quality Scanning with the Pioneer is useless!

Wow, it completely ignored ECC and speed setting :eek:
Wonder whether your configuration has problems :confused:

Never use the Pioneer to test PIE/PIF. You should post the liteon scans only. No one here will trust the Pioneer scans or even take the time to analyze them (since they can’t really be analyzed due to inaccuracy).

If the burns don’t even load, I’d say it’s not that they’re poorly burning discs, just that they are crap in general and won’t work no matter how well they’re burnt.

OK, I’ll be back with some scans from the Lite-On. They’re pretty much the same though.

OK, any opinion on Luigi’s Mansion? I just upgraded the firmware and got this - however I did get a few OK discs so it could be a fluke. The spike still worries me though.

OK, I have another scan for Luigi’s Mansion from th Lite-On.

That’s RitekG04 for sure!!! LOL

Hmm, the Litey scan is 1ECC and nuffin like the Pioneer one.
It’s not the best but should be ok to read.

I still wonder why the Pioneer doesn’t scan at 1ECC instead of 8ECC.

OK, another burn with theupated firmware. Things looking up?

vGeneral Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H
Firmware: LL0D
Selected speed: 4 X
PI errors
Maximum: 228
Average: 132.07
Total: 660225
PI failures
Maximum: 4
Average: 0.13
Total: 461
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 4:40
Number of samples: 38027
Average scanning interval: 1.17 ECC

Right, so they are ‘typical’ Ritek results then?

I got them over more expensive Verbatim 8cm media because of someone’s recommendation. To quote:

“I use the traxdata mini’s which are g04 and they are fine. I know 2 or so years ago there was issues with the g05 being generally crap and degrading quickly and the later g04’s joining them in that regard , but the 8cm discs seemed to of steered clear of that crap or at least the traxdata ones did. Still got my original burns from when the viper first appeared (2 or so years old) and they are fine and as far as know haven’t suffered any degrading issues.”

Theerfore given how good SVP is with customer exchanges, do you think that I should swap ith the Verbs for safety’s sake?

You knew what you were buying.

by the way, these mini Riteks degrade just as the full ones.

My gamecube only likes Verbatim and Optodisc (I use normal 4.7gig discs).

Really?

Knackers, I should have just gone for the Verbs to start off with. I’ll get on the blower to SVP…

I did look at a GC case that take large discs, but the only decent one is the Viper one, and I’ve yet to see one at a reasonable price.