Good hard drive?

I haven’t been paying much attention to other hard drive brands for a while as seagate drives have been so good, but with the recent problems with the 7200.11 drives (I’m not going to take any chances), what are some other good drives?

Fyi I have done some research myself. Many of the new drives don’t have much if anything on storage reviews reliability database. Western digital black seems to be a good option, but there are several other western digital models and I cannot find a comparison chart on their site. I was also considering hitachi but what is the difference between a 7k1000 (which has good reliability on storage reviews database), and a 7k1000.b?

What about seagate 7200.12 drives (I guess they are new and therefor would be a gamble, but does anyone know if they are having any of the same problems as the 7200.11?

Fyi I would like to buy locally, but I have micro center, frys, compusa plus all the other normal stores locally so there are a lot of options.

7K1000.B has higher density (fewer platters) and it’s a newer model.
I personally like Hitachi’s HDDs in general (usually very good price/performance ratio) [B]but[/B] I wouldn’t consider the reliability better than any other model/brand since HDDs [B]do fail[/B] no matter what you buy. Backups and preferably RAID [B]are necessary[/B] if you consider your data valuable.

What I look for when I purchase HDDs is as few platters as possible and high density which has been a good combination so far and don’t forget what it’s going to be used for. My point is here that you don’t need a WD Raptor to drive a HTPC or a RAID, a cool and quiet drive (“Green HDDs”) are just as good since it’s primarily used as storage although have in mind that you don’t need to kill performance altogether (WDs Green HDDs comes to mind). When I purchased drives for my file server (Z-RAID for those wondering) I actually went for Green HDDs since access time isn’t crucial and heat will most likely be an issue. Having those factors in mind I ended up with four Hitachi P7K500 500Gb HDDs which were very decently priced at the time and only had 2 platters while still spinning at 7200RPM. Today I would go for WD 640Gb (non “Green HDD”) due to higher platter density (320Gb per platter) and good performance while maintaining a decent noise level and heat dispatch. If you need/want more storage I’d go for Hitachi 7K1000.B 1TB since they perform well and have only 3 platters which keeps the noise level down. I have to say that Seagate have only recently picked up the ball when it comes to performance which was quite bad to be honest over the years although they’re still lacking from what I’ve seen and they’re noisy which makes me look at Hitachi and WD. I wouldn’t personally go for Samsung even though they provide good value (not great though) but I’ve had bad experience in reliability using their older models and I’ve heard rumors regarding new models too. Have in mind that this is my personal opinion, I have no statistics/data to back it up with so they might as well be fine…

…so in short, getting HDD(s) and thinking they’ll last forever is plain stupid.

//Danne

I wouldn’t expect them to last for ever. They are a mechanical device with moving parts and there for must wear. I’m not really discounting seagate forever either (every drive manufacture has has a bad model line at some time), but I’m discounting them for now.

Thanks for the input. I have several older 160GB hitachi’s that have worked great (not a dead one yet). The 7K1000 has great reliability on storage review’s database so I think I’m going to go with that. I had an issue at compusa and the DM said he would give me a price break on the drive that was in the ad that ended yesterday (I think it was the 7k1000). The 7k1000.b is now on there site 10$ cheaper so I’ll have to she what happens when I get there.

Thanks again for the help.

I have WD HDD for most of my drives with exception one Maxtor 80G HDD all have worked well so far. I myself would stay away from Seagate for all the debacle they had so far with your 7200.11 series drives. A good way to see how good is I read the reviews from those whom buy Seagate, Hitachi, WD from newegg. That at least gives me a heads up and also I think someone said the Seagate 1TB drives from Thailand are the ones causing the problems not the one from China…go figure??? I am deciding on getting the 1TB or 2TB if possible from WD just cause fewer people have had less problem with the 1TB WD compared to the 1TB Seagate. I myself after reading all those problem have for now take a second look and do some reading before buying Seagate 1TB cause that is alot of data and files and video to loose if that drive goes out. Nothing last forever but if you maintain it and defrag it - it should prolong its MTBF.

ripit, have in mind that you want the 7K1000.B 1TB (or 640Gb) and not the 7K1000 (without B).
5 platters in one drive is not the way to go…
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2228374]ripit, have in mind that you want the 7K1000.B 1TB (or 640Gb) and not the 7K1000 (without B).
5 platters in one drive is not the way to go…
//Danne[/QUOTE]

It looks like it was the b but they were out in store. The dm said he would rain check the price but its on there website for 10$ less, and on newegg for 12$ less (plus free shipping, no tax at newegg making about 20$ cheaper) so I’ll probably just order from newegg. I did verify the part number on newegg (because its oem) by searching on hitachi’s site and it is the b.

In looking at the 7k1000.b I saw that there were three revisions, probably bios version most likely. Newegg appears to have the second version, the latest will be OA38912, incase your willing to wait another week or so. I’m also going to get a 1TB drive in the near future, just waiting for the right deal, the other dirve that I like is the WD caviar black, if this drops to $100 I’ll get one.

I got a good price on a Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1tb drive a few weeks back. 3 platters in this one, and decent reviews. I haven’t had any problems so far, but early days yet.

Here is a little about the drive over at Storage Review: http://www.storagereview.com/samsungs_spinpoint_f1_hits_performance_database

Samsungs seem to be middle of the road on durability as far as I have heard…neither outstanding nor terrible.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2228812]I got a good price on a Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1tb drive a few weeks back. 3 platters in this one, and decent reviews. I haven’t had any problems so far, but early days yet.

Here is a little about the drive over at Storage Review: http://www.storagereview.com/samsungs_spinpoint_f1_hits_performance_database

Samsungs seem to be middle of the road on durability as far as I have heard…neither outstanding nor terrible.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately Samsung does not warranty their OEM (bulk) drives.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2228816]Unfortunately Samsung does not warranty their OEM (bulk) drives.[/QUOTE]

News to me, and thousands of users. Most Samsung OEM drives do come with a 3 year parts and labor warranty.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2228825]News to me, and thousands of users. Most Samsung OEM drives do come with a 3 year parts and labor warranty.[/QUOTE]
Nope, that’s an their [B]retail [/B]packaged drives. Get one of the bubble wraps from NewEgg and all bets are off. Send in a NewEgg invoice with the drive listed as [B]OEM[/B] and they’ll flat out refuse.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2228810]In looking at the 7k1000.b I saw that there were three revisions, probably bios version most likely. Newegg appears to have the second version, the latest will be OA38912, incase your willing to wait another week or so. I’m also going to get a 1TB drive in the near future, just waiting for the right deal, the other dirve that I like is the WD caviar black, if this drops to $100 I’ll get one.[/QUOTE]

Here is a western digital black at dell for 100$ + tax (free shipping).

I kind of want it soon and dell can be slow to ship so I think I might stick with the hitachi at newegg (plus the hitachi is 78$, free shipping, no tax if the price stays the same long enough for me to decide to order).

I didn’t get mine from Newegg. But from reading reviews there, it sounds like Samsung [B]does[/B] honor the three year warranty with their OEM drives sold there.
There would have been a huge stink on the net otherwise MysticEyes.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2228999]I didn’t get mine from Newegg. But from reading reviews there, it sounds like Samsung [B]does[/B] honor the three year warranty with their OEM drives sold there.
There would have been a huge stink on the net otherwise MysticEyes.[/QUOTE]
I guess by now things may have changed, NewEgg was riddled with comments to that effect… that OEM hard drives weren’t being covered. There are also many comments on the AVS forums concerning Samsung’s indifference to warranty service in general, with folks posting links to the BBB, corporate offices and local Attorney Generals.

Don’t want to get involved in a debate as all companies have their fans and foes. But Samsung does seem to generate more negative comments than most when it comes to resolving problems.

A few current comments from NewEgg concerning HDs:

[I]Cons: I called Samsung to find out exactly how long the warranty is on this product. I specifically said I would be buying an OEM edition of this drive from Newegg for personal use and they told me that OEM hard drives do not come with a warranty.

I’ve read terrible stories about the RMA process,

I also was very disappointed with the customer service, I did two RMAs that got nothing in response

When the Samsung drives die, you go to Samsung’s website to get an RMA replacement and they tell you to go to the company that sold it. When you try to RMA the drives through Newegg they tell you to go to Samsung.

what makes this an especially nasty experience is that Samsung makes getting an RMA very difficult. Their HD specific site says RMAs must come through the vendor, while their return page has a drive area but includes no drives from the T line even though it’s over a year old at this point

Cons: Device came defective. System crashes very often. So far no data loss, luckly. Samsung hasn’t responded to a single email (sent 4) in over 3 months sent to their customer support email address and their website claims to have no warranty. Unfortunately it took me over a month before I was positive my system crashes came from this HDD so couldn’t return it to Newegg.

Other Thoughts: This will be the last Samsung product I buy. A self diagnostic (had to buy a floppy drive to run it) showed several hundred defects. Samsung won’t make good with absolutely no company warranty, so I’m out several hundred dollars.

The customer service from Samsung corporate was terrible. I know that most large corporate customer service lines are bad, and it’s hard for them to do a good job when they are so large and must cover so much, but it’s still disappointing to witness this coming from a company whose products I have used for years, including TVs, cell phones, and computer parts. However, someone at Samsung (after calling 5 times) finally gave me the direct number to the Samsung HDD RMA center in NJ. That number is (201) 935-0671. Use this instead of calling Samsung directly or filling out their oft broken return authorization form on their website.[/I]

As I said I’m not trying to stir the pot… just providing some food for thought.

[QUOTE=ripit;2228262]I haven’t been paying much attention to other hard drive brands for a while as seagate drives have been so good, but with the recent problems with the 7200.11 drives (I’m not going to take any chances), what are some other good drives?

Fyi I have done some research myself. Many of the new drives don’t have much if anything on storage reviews reliability database. Western digital black seems to be a good option, but there are several other western digital models and I cannot find a comparison chart on their site. I was also considering hitachi but what is the difference between a 7k1000 (which has good reliability on storage reviews database), and a 7k1000.b?

What about seagate 7200.12 drives (I guess they are new and therefor would be a gamble, but does anyone know if they are having any of the same problems as the 7200.11?

Fyi I would like to buy locally, but I have micro center, frys, compusa plus all the other normal stores locally so there are a lot of options.[/QUOTE]

I have (2) Seagate ST34600633AS ATA HDD, I haven’t had any toruble with these drives. I also have the 1TB and the 2TB Western Digital USB MY Book drives wihich I would recommend. Of course the USB drives are not as fast as the ATA drives but are a very good choice for data backup since you can remove them and take them with you to any system anywhere.

I thought it was standard for manufacturers to not offer end user warranty on OEM products? After all, they are meant to be sold to computer manufacturers who then sell computers with the product integrated, and are expected to handle support and warranty on the complete product. I know that the policy of one company I worked for that had both OEM and boxed products that we would only deal directly with people with OEM products if their supplier had gone under.

One other thing, have you checked Samsungs website regarding the diagnostics tool? I know they had problems with it not being updated for some recent models and marking them as faulty even if they aren’t.

If that were true Aramchek, 90% of the drives sold by Newegg, Zipzoomfly, mwave, etc. would be ineligible for warranty service. This obviously isn’t so.

The Samsung diagnostic tool seems to be up to date with the latest drives now, including my 1tb. Have no idea if it is functioning well or not, as I haven’t tried it.

[QUOTE=Aramchek;2229102]I thought it was standard for manufacturers to not offer end user warranty on OEM products? After all, they are meant to be sold to computer manufacturers who then sell computers with the product integrated, and are expected to handle support and warranty on the complete product. I know that the policy of one company I worked for that had both OEM and boxed products that we would only deal directly with people with OEM products if their supplier had gone under.

One other thing, have you checked Samsungs website regarding the diagnostics tool? I know they had problems with it not being updated for some recent models and marking them as faulty even if they aren’t.[/QUOTE]

Oem often means bare, as in it doesn’t come with documentation (not retail level documentation anyways and sometimes none), it doesn’t come with accessories, adapters, cables or anything, just the unit.

Small custom builders don’t have the backing to warranty these units. Small brand oem’s might not even be able to (provide warranty for years for all of the many parts the use, which changes often).

Sometimes warranty’s are less for oem and sometimes there are none, but in most cases, there is something (even if it is less than retail). The biggest difference is what is included. Hard drives often are a drive in a static bag (not even a box from the manufacture as they were bulk sent). Others come with the unit only in just a plain white box (and the plain white box does save a few dollars off a nice pretty printed, glossy retail box). IT varies but most oem stuff has some warranty.

Look its like this, and I have said this many times before. ALL brands have a failure rate, and no matter what brand you get you can always be in that small percentile and get a dud drive… it happens. Just get whats best bang for buck in terms of performance.

Check my new sig, I luv my new WD Black series, they are just so fast its incredible, I would recommend them to anyone.

3 platters so you might as well go for 1TB…
//Danne