Good firewall software and driver updater

vbimport

nvm about the firewall
Also, Where can I get free good software that checks my drivers and helps me find, download and install up to date drivers. Like DriverMagic, but without the fee.[/SIZE]

Hi :slight_smile:
For free firewall. try either : -

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=56pus&ctry=GB&lang=en

or

For driver check/updates try : -

http://www.drivermax.com/index.htm

just on a side note… if your serious about firewall stuff, your best off getting a router (i would recommend Linksys brand) as it’s a hardware firewall and blocks all incoming connections which means you would not even need a software firewall… only stuff that software firewalls offer over the hardware ones is outbound traffic which if you ask me is rather useless since it dont really offer any real protection… only time it ‘might’ is if you got infected with a trojan type thing that tried to log your keystrokes etc and then send that information out onto the internet… but if you already have a good anti-virus software (i.e. NOD32) then you generally aint got to worry about outbound traffic.

bottom line (if you ask me) = get a router and thats pretty much all you need… cause i just dont think software firewalls (i.e. ZoneAlarm etc) are worth wasting pc resources especially if your already running Windows XP with SP2 which already has a half way decent firewall built into it.

a router thing is that thing that makes a wireless network, rite?
if it is, is a Mimo XR ok?

frick :frowning:
@zabadee
that software doesnt allow driver downloads yet :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
do you know any other ones?

Hi :slight_smile:
I haven’t used DriverMax for quite a while.
I believe it used to give downloads.
But these were always MS based.
So Windows updates would get them anyway.
A wireless router isn’t always that secure.
If not using the the direct modem/router, then PowerLine is more secure.

o,
off topic
what the heck is a.z0 file
and how do you combine them
i made alot after splitting a zip file and im torrenting this movie that has a bunch of those

[QUOTE=NBR;2002170]just on a side note… if your serious about firewall stuff, your best off getting a router (i would recommend Linksys brand) as it’s a hardware firewall and blocks all incoming connections which means you would not even need a software firewall… only stuff that software firewalls offer over the hardware ones is outbound traffic which if you ask me is rather useless since it dont really offer any real protection… only time it ‘might’ is if you got infected with a trojan type thing that tried to log your keystrokes etc and then send that information out onto the internet… but if you already have a good anti-virus software (i.e. NOD32) then you generally aint got to worry about outbound traffic.

bottom line (if you ask me) = get a router and thats pretty much all you need… cause i just dont think software firewalls (i.e. ZoneAlarm etc) are worth wasting pc resources especially if your already running Windows XP with SP2 which already has a half way decent firewall built into it.[/QUOTE]

That isn’t the bottom line… For better protection the software ZA allows software to go to net or not go to the net…If they get a malware or spyware that is allowed to go to the net then the router is useless if it allows that program to go to the net. With a software based firewall with the router the software will inform you what is trying to get to the net and you the user can choose to let it go or not. I myself have a router and ZA pro firewall why cause the router blocks from coming in and the software blocks coming in as well but it also let me configure all the software I use on my computer to determine what is entitled to go to the net and what shouldn’t cause in the case you get a infection on your computer it will pop up a message and you will know what it is…with a hardware router it’s only for incoming and won’t tell you at that moment what software is trying to do unless you go into its’ functions. Plus router is good as you can configure what port to use and what to block on ports…so people can’t ping your computer. So bottom line is I would have two protection instead of one… One hardware router or wireless router and second a software based firewall that lets me configure what program can access the internet and what shouldn’t go to the internet ie like auto updates on programs that to me waster precious memory and resources…when I can do it manually to check.

whats a port?
and what do you mean, ping a computer

[QUOTE=Applee;2002395]whats a port?
and what do you mean, ping a computer[/QUOTE]

Port is when you allow software to go out to the net like keeping a certain door open but closing the rest to prevent something from coming into your computer that you didn’t permit access. ie like when you use utorrent you have to make a certain port open to UP/DN files… that is when you use a web site portfoward.com to configure your router. Ping is like someone traces whether your computer is access from the net if so they can send a net attack rendering your computer a zombie machine to do their work for them without you even knowing it. But you can read more about this at http://www.grc.com/default.htm
this would at least give you some information about those kinda problems. But other reading this might be able to give you more information them I can. And point you to the right areas for more reading and to inform you more.