Good fast portable burner out there?

Hi. I recently purchased a LG 8x DVD burner for my Dell E1505 laptop. Then, I came to the painful realization of just how long it was going to take to burn a DVD on it. This is not to mention the potential driver conflicts, etc.
I have considered just loading the software from my LG GSA-E10L connected to my desktop, then connecting the laptop to it when I want to burn laptop info onto a DVD.
Advice?:smiley:

Using your E10L is probably a good idea - you should get at least 8x out of it and maybe even 12x - 16x. Any laptop drive isn’t going to be faster than 8x.

I have the E10N hooked up to my Dell desktop and can get 12x out of it. :wink:

The first thing I’d say is that 8x burning to an external burner isn’t exactly slow; compared to the solution I think you are proposing. :confused:

Can you please be a bit more descriptive in why direct 8x burning is a problem, compared to loading files from laptop to desktop and then burning from there? Aren’t you going to use USB-2 for both procedures?

[QUOTE=imkidd57;1939715]Aren’t you going to use USB-2 for both procedures?[/QUOTE]

The E10x is definitely USB2 :iagree:

Mind you, good point, I don’t find 8x particularly slow. 4x OTOH…:doh:

a customer of mine brought a laptop to me with a dead driver i recommended an external samsung 20x dvd drive for it and it burns @ 19x roughly and its usb 2 and cheaper then the liteys out there :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea sorry we posted at the same time :slight_smile:

To be honest I’m pretty confused about what our friend wants to do… :wink:

Well i’ll throw a wrench in. I have my older lappy running with an eSATA PCMCIA card and works great for 20X burns with one of my Sammy S203B’s in an external SATA enclosure.

I do love the styling of the LG 8x. I also looked at a Sony 20x (don’t know the model #)…but definitely UN-portable…and surely not meant to be. This sucker was about 10-11" long, 5-6" wide, and hefted like a brick. That’s when I decided to make my laptop ready for the desktop GSA-E10L.
Notice I posted in the “newbie” section…a shocker, huh?

1. Speaking of a shocker, if I re-purchased the LG 8x, and found an adapter for it, how much of an increase in speed would there be, if any?
  2. As far as driver compatibility, it’s a crap-shoot, even for a device labeled Vista ready, eh?
    BTW, if anyone is looking for a good portable, ext. hard drive, I purchased the Simpletech 250g, and I love it! Perfect for a simpleton-tech like myself!

[QUOTE=imkidd57;1939723]Yea sorry we posted at the same time :slight_smile:

To be honest I’m pretty confused about what our friend wants to do… :wink:
[/QUOTE]
I am trying to find the best solution for burning DVDs from my Dell E1505, im. 8x sounds very slow to me, compared to “20x”, so I was considering just making my lappy ready to run my desktop E10L. Why buy a portable, which may be very slow? The E10L is gathering dust. Between the lappy and the desktop, it may get a workout.

Yea sorry I got the wrong end of the stick. You want to use the E10L as a portable for both lap-top and desktop. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=imkidd57;1939715]The first thing I’d say is that 8x burning to an external burner isn’t exactly slow; compared to the solution I think you are proposing. :confused:

Can you please be a bit more descriptive in why direct 8x burning is a problem, compared to loading files from laptop to desktop and then burning from there? Aren’t you going to use USB-2 for both procedures?[/QUOTE]
im, I wondered if it was possible to load a capture from laptop to desktop, then burning from desktop. Color me stupid, but exactly how would I go about that, connecting lappy to desktop? A USB connect? What interface for initiating the transfer should I expect? That sounds a lot easier.