Good DVD media for Plextor

I know that this is not a media forum but I feel responsible to tell my friends in this forum.:bigsmile:

Fuji brand DVD+R 8x, media ID YUDEN000-T02-00 (Taiyo Yuden), on sale at Bestbuy, $29.99 minus $5 rebate, click here. This is the same media that Plextor uses (that came with the drive).

Btw, this message is not for you Premium712USB since Bestbuys are only located in the US and cannot ship to Denmark.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: But you still my friend.:bigsmile:

Thanx for the info! I also know this is not a media forum, but since we’re on the subject… I’ve been having nothing but trouble with DVD burners. I recently switched from an older Ricoh RW5125A burner (2.4x DVD+RW for which I paid $325 back in the day :smiley: ), to a sparkling new Plextor PX-712A (12x DVD+R, 8x DVD-R, 4x DVD±RW, for which I only paid $130 and made me run home all excited after I signed it away from the FedEx guy at work). Not only did I get rid of the 'ol burner because I need to get sparkly new objects for my computer every so often, but also because I’ve been having some problems with good 'ol reliable and thought its days were done. It kept giving me “Drive Reset Occurred” errors at any random moment during the burn, so I thought I’ll give Plextor a try, due to their excellent standards and awesome reviews. With the help of the good folks at :bow: CdFreaks I told Win XP that I wanted it to use the DAM DMA, after which my computer now gets the same “Drive Reset Occurred” errors, but at least doesn’t have to think as hard to get them (I was using 100% system resources before fixing that problem). So finally to my question!!! I’ve looked around for that error, but only heard that the problem may be cheap media. I’ve attempted my luck with Memorex 4x DVD+R, Memorex 48x CD-R, RiDATA 2x DVD-R, and Maxell 2x DVD-R media with about the same result with all media. So far I’m to about every 1/5 DVD+, -, 2x, 4x, 8x, 12x whatever that makes it out of the burning process ‘alive’, just like the old Ricoh. I’d love to know if anyone has heard of this before, or knows what may cause this, because I’m spending all my hard earned cash on DVD coasters, of which I can only use so many… Here are some system specs (if you need more, let me know):

Athlon XP 2800
Windows XP Pro
Abit NF7-S V2.0
Nero 6.3.1.25
Plextor PX-712A (Firmware 1.05)
Lite-On LTR-52246S (have no problems with this drive :confused: )
1.5 GB Memory
80GB + 120GB WD Caviar 7200RPM Hard drives (2MB buffer)

Like I said, I don’t have any cash due to my coaster fetish, but if someone would try to help, I would gladly offer them a gMail account, should they want one (1GB e-mail service provided by Google, attainable through invite only). Again, any help/info is appreciated!!!

SoundZero: sorry I’m no Athlon player… but where is your 712a located? primary master/slave or secondary master/slave? I think in other thread there’s someone switch his plextor from slave to master channel and problems dissapear. Second, did you update all your bios and software (XP SP2 etc)?

PS: In this forum, dvd media brand doesn’t mean anything. Your memorex dvd+R might be made by RICOH. I also have memorex and tdk (RICOHJPN) +R 4x and it burns very well in my 712a.

Plextors defintely need to be set as master on whatever channel they are on. even the provided documentation states this. the only time I have ever had a problem with my 708a was when I first installed it as slave. soon as I switched it to master no more problems.

I went to best buy and picked up a pack of the Fuji 8X DVD+R disc’s and while I was there I picked up a new Plex 712A they had on sale. I noticed the packaged disc was a Verbatim 8X DVD+R which is what I have ben using in my 708a with no problems. I get a 50 pack of verbatim 4X DVD+R at sam’s club for 29.95 and they have burned perfectly at 8x.

hmm… there’s no sale on 712a @bestbuy yesterday… but someone here mentioned there’s a big sale @dell, $58 after rebate. [click here](hmm… there’s no sale on 712a @bestbuy yesterday… but someone here mentioned there’s a big sale @dell, $58 after rebate. click here.).

the employee’s at Best buy didnt think the plextor’s were on sale either but I had printed out their web page ad and took it with me. so they sold me the Plextor 712a for the 115.00 price shown in the ad. Newegg wanted 119.00. of course newegg would have still been a bit cheaper since there would have been no sales tax. BUT if anything is wrong with this one I can take it back to best buy.

zevia: First of all… :bow: Thank you. :bow: I updated all drivers and firmware to the newest versions and burned one flawless DVD. I’ll have to burn a few more, just to make sure it’s not just a conincidence, but perhaps I may have had some conflicting firmware/drivers (please god let this be it). I kicked myself after the burn job for not thinking of updating before the post! :o
Thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you.

…just wanted to add that the drive is the Secondary Master, so that should not be the problem.

In your debt,
SoundZero

Thanks for the info. Off to BB later to see if they have any left.

Last week I got some TYs off ebay from the seller “Burnmedias”. They were exactly as advertised, if a bit expensive.

Then again, how much of my time and money does a coaster waste?

It’s not even close to “a bit expensive” :bigsmile: :bigsmile:. 50 pack TY 8x +R for $64+10 shipping, here :Z :Z.

rima.com sells for $35 if you’re interested buying the real TY brand. Does the spindle you got from ebay similar to the pic in rima, here?