Good Disc Labels

Great Gizmos, the best ever CD/DVD labels, are no longer being manufactured and I’m looking for a good replacement. Great Gizmos brand were super sticky and would never come loose from a CD. They also had a gold backing which did not allow any writing on a disc to show through the label. Does anyone know if there is another comparable brand out there? All the remaining brands I’ve seen are thin and not very sticky.

I don’t think anyone here uses labels, at least, not after the numerous stories/threads about the problems they can cause.

Here’s one link:

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=85753&highlight=disc+labeling

Personally, I either make a CD cover for a jewel case, or hand write the title on the cd with one of these:

Archival Film & Print Marking Pen

Good Luck!

That’s interesting. Thanks. Around 95% of the labels I use go onto audio CD’s and I’ve made many hundreds of them with no problems because of the label. I can understand where they could be more likely to cause an imbalance problem on DVD’s because of the higher speed, closer tracks and smaller pits. It doesn’t matter to me if the error rate is a little higher because of the label on an audio CD. I’ll doubt if I’ll ever hear the difference.

I have been using labels for some time and find that only poorly applied labels cause “problems”. Perhaps those horror stories were true when referring to the cheap media with a poorly done top lacquering job (as I had some CompUSA branded Riteks that I bought when I first bought my computer with a CDRW drive and all but a couple from that bundle succumbed to “CD/DVD rot” with the top lacquer layer and foil peeling, I did not discover and start using labels until well after that, I did not even write on the CD top, I wrote on the cases) and/or the glue used on the older labels was more aggressive than the current generation (could also be a combo of both situations). I highly recommend getting, if you don’t have one already, one of those kits that includes a set of labels and a label applicator. I have used Memorex labels (which I believe are Avery labels) and am currently using Neato’s labels. No problems with either. The only problem I have had was one audio CD where, even using the applicator, the label was not pressed down all the way (my fault, first time using the applicator) and it does krinkle up in high humidity weather (it is in my wife’s car), it does play in her car even when partly krinkled (I normally rub it out as much as I can before inserting into the CD player, sometimes I can get it to disappear entirely) and I have run Kprobe tests on the disc, with the label krinkled, it gives more errors than when I smooth them out. However, the disc does not become unreadable even with a krinkled label. BTW, the discs I use are exclusively Fuji branded TY’s, although with them becoming less available locally I probably will have to switch to something else. I also use labels on some of my RW CD’s only because I have dedicated them for certain data pre-mastering (for ex. I have one labelled for Metal Lathes which I collect all info. about metal lathes and place it there until it gets full enough to burn a master CD-R) the only trouble I have had with CD-RW’s had to do with packet writing and nothing to do with labels.

Personally, I find any of the labels available from the local stationary store big boxes to be fine. Although I find their selections to be quite limiting, therefore you may want to try Sure Thing’s web site. I use an older version of their program for creating labels and I know that they sell a wider variety of labels online than I can buy locally. I have not bought any labels from them, as I just deal with the limited variety I can find locally, so I can’t vouch for their labels or sales and service (bought the program locally).