Good data recovery software?

vbimport

Hi.

I have a hard drive that is dying, can someone recommend a good data recovery program i can use to save some data. Save what I can.

If possible a free data recovery program.

Thanks.

Try dd_rescue.

Michael

Try dd_rescue.

Michael

[QUOTE=NaMeK;2546637]Hi.

I have a hard drive that is dying, can someone recommend a good data recovery program i can use to save some data. Save what I can.

If possible a free data recovery program.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

So is the drive dead or still functioning? If it still works and read I would get another HDD and copy the data over to that drive before the current HDD becomes a brick. Recovery program will recover but it will not recover with the same name or use numbers or letters to indicate the recovered. So that in itself is not a sure solution.

Is this your main HDD or a secondary or external drive?

I agree with Coolcolors and Mciahel…and suggest a further step (if necessary):
Can you connect this drive to a computer that is functioning normally? If so, get a data recovery program (as Mciahel suggested) and ask it to recover whatever is possible from the dying drive. If you have problems getting it all…the trick (which may or may not work) is to chill the HDD: put it into double plastic bags and leave it in the freezer for a couple of hours…then try connecting it via USB and run the program again.

Can you fill in a few more gaps as above, and let us know how you are getting on with this and the suggestions…
Cheers
D

Well the problem is that BIOS and Device Manager in Xp both read the drive but it doesn’t show up in My Computer.

Also in Disk Managment it shows it as unallocated space.

I had trouble booting the PC with that Hdd connected, sometimes it would boot others it wouldn’t.

I tried getting the data out with a external hdd encloser but i got the same thing as i talked about before.

So i’m trying to see if i can save the data is some way, thats on the hdd.

Perhaps testdisk is useful here:

It is powerful, but like all powerful tools it can be dangerous, too.

Michael

You can try Find and Mount, http://findandmount.com/ and as suggested dd_rescue. If you have a bootable Linux cd, like Knoppix, dd-rescue is included but most linux distros have some program to copy NTFS files/disks.

I’d definetly prefer Linux over Windows for data recovery purpose since unlike Windows, Linux does not write to the disc unless requested by the user.

Michael

Find and mount worked great. It’s taking out the data slowly but it’s working.

Thanks for the help guys