Good, cheap, fast dvd writer

vbimport

do you guys have any suggestions for dvd writers that are good, cheap, and relativly fast that are multi format? i was thinking about a NEC one but im not sure. any suggestions will be apperciated. and yes i did look in the sticky but they are changing so often its hard for me to know which ones are outdated and which ones are still good. thanks

Go with Pioneer A06 or 106.

Better yet, search the forum.

NEC1300a, Pioneer A06/106 or Optorite DD002030 will do…

Searching our forums will give you lots of information on these drives…

wow. a buck 69 for a dvd burner? man i remember when i paid like 100 somethin for my tdk cd burner now for less than 60 bucks more i can get a dvd burner. doesnt sound bad at all. might just get the ND1300a. i gota few more questions

1. i heard that you cant use a dvd burner to back up movie titles because somehow they fit like 9 gigs of movie stuff on there cd’s while normal dvd discs only hold 4.7 gigs. is that true, and how does it work if it is true?

2. do you know if any large companies use NEC dvd burners and just rebadges those like the lite-on cd burners?

Originally posted by polishmafia4u [B]

1. i heard that you cant use a dvd burner to back up movie titles because somehow they fit like 9 gigs of movie stuff on there cd’s while normal dvd discs only hold 4.7 gigs. is that true, and how does it work if it is true?[/B]

There are quite some ways to resolve this “problem”. The most common way is to transcode the video (lowering the bitrate) and/or remove useless items from the DVD (to save space). Check our Transcoding forum and our Video forum (read the guides!) to learn more about this.

Originally posted by polishmafia4u
2) do you know if any large companies use NEC dvd burners and just rebadges those like the lite-on cd burners?

Yes, quite some companies do. TDK is one of those companies rebadging NEC drives. Why, if I may ask?

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

There are quite some ways to resolve this “problem”. The most common way is to transcode the video (lowering the bitrate) and/or remove useless items from the DVD (to save space). Check our Transcoding forum and our Video forum (read the guides!) to learn more about this.

Yes, quite some companies do. TDK is one of those companies rebadging NEC drives. Why, if I may ask? [/B]

ok i just looked at the software dvd-x copy. it says it can copy a dvd wtih all the extras in it. does it really work like they said it does or is it a marketing thing?

as for the rebadging thing. well i baught a 48x tdk cd burner from frys for like 150 or more i think(when they first came out the did have a rebate but i didnt remember to send it in) and then i learned it was a rebadged lite on drive. so now why should i spend 300+ dollors for the tdk indidvd drive or whatever its called when i can get a nec dvd 1300A for 169 :wink:

ok i just looked at the software dvd-x copy. it says it can copy a dvd wtih all the extras in it. does it really work like they said it does or is it a marketing thing?

Actually, most programs can do this. CloneDVD, DVDShrink and DVD2One can all do this.

For more info on this subject, there are two articles you really should read:

wow. thanks man. i read both articles closely. very interesting stuff. i since i want quality AND the whole dvd(not just video and sound) i will try to get instant copy( i dont care how long it takes to compress as long as the quality is superior) and cloneDVD for the CSS protected dvd’s since they said instant copy cant do those. thanks man this really helped me out.

Clone DVD can’t do CSS encrypted disks (or rather it could but using the algorithm would be litigation-suicide), you need a decrypter for this step.

Originally posted by Phil Dx
Clone DVD can’t do CSS encrypted disks (or rather it could but using the algorithm would be litigation-suicide), you need a decrypter for this step.
i thought they said instant copy was the only one that couldnt. was i wrong?

i thought they said instant copy was the only one that couldnt. was i wrong?

Yes, CloneDVD can’t do it.

If you’re in the US check this: DVD burner for $99.99

Originally posted by Namoh
Yes, CloneDVD can’t do it.
ok so which dvd copyin software CAN do it? and yes i am in the US but im not buyin the burner yet so unfortunatly i cant go wtih that offer.

ok so which dvd copyin software CAN do it? and yes i am in the US but im not buyin the burner yet so unfortunatly i cant go wtih that offer.

You can use any transcoding program, just don’t do the ripping with CloneDVD or so, but with DVDDecrypter or AnyDVD…

so for best quality i would use Instant Copy and for CSS protection i could use DVDdecrypter? can DVD X copy GOLD do CSS protection?

I went with a TDK 420N at CompUSA. paid $149 with $50 in-store-rebate and $50 mail-in-rebate…

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR
If you’re in the US check this: DVD burner for $99.99

Do you know what burner that is?
I’m in the market for one and I’m still trying to figure out which one to get.
Price is a factor. I’m not willing to pay a lot for a burner.

so for best quality i would use Instant Copy and for CSS protection i could use DVDdecrypter? can DVD X copy GOLD do CSS protection?

DVDxCopy circumvents all needed copy protections, but adds a fair use warning.

Originally posted by Jailer
I’m in the market for one and I’m still trying to figure out which one to get. Price is a factor. I’m not willing to pay a lot for a burner.

I suspect it’s a NEC, but not sure.

Originally posted by Jailer
I’m in the market for one and I’m still trying to figure out which one to get.
Price is a factor. I’m not willing to pay a lot for a burner.

It’s a Benq DW400A +R/RW