Good Burner

vbimport

Hi. I’m having some trouble with backing up PS1 games. So I’m looking into replacing my CD burner. I was reccomended to come here and ask for suggestions on a good one for game burning. I was told to ask for a new burner that causes low C1/C2 errors. The person who gave me this info uses a liteon if that’s of any help.

The quality of optical drives are not measured on burning games but rather the burn quality on the disc itself and the support of various brands of media.

Sorry was called away from the keyboard…

Readablity is also a big factor in choosing a optical drive.

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=Oneupgamer;2719043]Hi. I’m having some trouble with backing up PS1 games.[/QUOTE]
What sort of trouble are you having? [Note that I assume that your console has a mod-chip.]

One thing you haven’t mentioned is type of cds you are using. For cd’s I advise buying Taiyo Yuden. They are fairly easy to find online at stores like rima.com or supermediastore.com, or even Amazon.

There were quite a number of excellent cd burners in the past, many of which used the now obsolete IDE/PATA interface. Some are outrageously expensive on ebay, like the Plextor Premium 2 or the Yamaha CRW-F1, both of which were cd burners only…no dvd burning. And most of the good dvd burners which were also good with cds are no longer easily found except on ebay, like the Optiarc 7200s or Samsung SH-S203B. My old LG blu-ray burner is also excellent with cds, but it is not cheap even used…the LG GGW-H20L.

Perhaps someone else will chip in with some specific modern drives, but I haven’t kept up with modern burners outside of their abilities with Blu-ray.

[QUOTE=philamber;2719050]What sort of trouble are you having? [Note that I assume that your console has a mod-chip.][/QUOTE]

My PS1 does have a chip. I am having a problem where some games will skip and lag on FMV or skip audio tracks, some won’t even boot. While other games work perfectly.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2719051]One thing you haven’t mentioned is type of cds you are using. For cd’s I advise buying Taiyo Yuden. They are fairly easy to find online at stores like rima.com or supermediastore.com, or even Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been using primarily sony CD-R’s a few are on fujifilm CD-R’s. I plan to start using Taiyo after I find a good burner.

I also forgot to mention that the drive has to be capable of doing accurate scans with Nero CD-DVD Speed. For testing reasons.

[QUOTE=Oneupgamer;2719070]My PS1 does have a chip. I am having a problem where some games will skip and lag on FMV or skip audio tracks, some won’t even boot. While other games work perfectly.[/QUOTE]
This suggests either poor quality media or media that isn’t compatible with your drive.

Before rushing out to buy a new drive, try burning at the lowest speed that your drive supports (often helpful for old PS1 cds) and with better quality media; e.g. either Taiyo Yuden as suggested by Kerry56, or Verbatim Data Life Plus.

If that still produces poor results then it probably is time for a new drive. I haven’t bought a new burner for some time so can’t help much on this score.

However, I note that you indicated that your friend has had good results with his Lite-on drive. That isn’t a surprise as, whilst I haven’t had a Litey for a few years, originally they were optimised for burning cds successfully to very poor (or suspect) quality media and they did a great job in that regard.

Having no recent experience with them I can’t say for certain that that hasn’t changed but I expect that a current Lite-on drive will still serve your purposes well. Having said that though, you should still make a few enquiries about the current models before forking out your hard-earned on a new one.

hi guys im the person who recommended Oneupgamer come to Clubmyce forums for help.

i too had the same issues with my PS1s games not running properly but with the help here i bought 4 Liteon iHAS324 B drives.

the scans of my CD-R games are amazing and the end result my PS1 games run perfectly.

would anyone be willing to do some scans of CD-R media ?

what we are looking for is a current/ish model that can do great burns on CD-R media…

The Lite-on iHAS324 series burners are still available at Newegg. If you have had good luck with these, why not have your friend buy one?

Hello. I am also having same problem with my PlayStation lagging or skipping frames or cinemas, even freezing during them. I pretty much know it’s my drive’s incompatibility to the CD’s I’m using. I am using Verbatim DataLifePlus Crystal Azo CD’s (97m34s23f Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.), now what burner should be capable with these CD’s? (I would prefer to use these, since I trust these, and because of my location can’t seem to get Taiyo Yudens cheap after shipping.)

I checked a website selling second hand stuff near me, and the drives that I find there are: HL Datastorage GSA-T40N, Sony CRX(something), Benq 652A, Samsung SH-S182D, HL GDR-8162B, Compaq GDR-8160B, samsung SH-S223, Samsung SH-S182, Sony AD-7170, LG GDR H10N, Sony AD-5170A and Lite-On LH-18A1H.

Now what could be the top 3 or 5? Thanks if someone takes the time to think this trough.

hi Compactnewb , i would recommend trying a original PS1 disc to see if it freezes or skips like the backups your using.

also im thinking a second hand burner will go for about $10-$15 you can pickup a Lite-on iHAS324 series new for about $25 and is proven to be a good burner.

[QUOTE=s8n5150;2727979]hi Compactnewb , i would recommend trying a original PS1 disc to see if it freezes or skips like the backups your using.

also im thinking a second hand burner will go for about $10-$15 you can pickup a Lite-on iHAS324 series new for about $25 and is proven to be a good burner.[/QUOTE]

Hello hello, well there’s some official games that lagg, and I think that’s because they’re old and scratched. Some games don’t lagg at all. Then there’s this old (like 15 years old) GT2 game that is burned to a verbatim dark blue bottomed (I assumed metal azo) CD. It has very fast cinema etc but it doesn’t lagg at all. So I don’t think it’s the PS1.

Thank you, I’ll check that out, but I bet there’s not one store that sells it here, and ordering from foreign country would add a nice shipping fee, so if I can get even better (or just good, just that it works…) used CD burner here for much less I would get one of those. And also wouldn’t have to wait so long to get it.

im not sure what you mean by lag but if a original game or a backup skips or freezes on the same part ( Audio or FMV ) almost every time it usually means the disc is scratched on a particular part of the disc.

[QUOTE=s8n5150;2728089]im not sure what you mean by lag but if a original game or a backup skips or freezes on the same part ( Audio or FMV ) almost every time it usually means the disc is scratched on a particular part of the disc.[/QUOTE]

yes this isbwhat I thought it would be. So those drives I mentioned, which would be best to burn psx games on azo verbatims? By the way, one more thing why I think it should be old IDE drive, since I heard playstation as those azo verbatims could have both problem with high speed burning? So I would need an old drive that can do as slow as 4x?

burning at slow speeds with todays burners will produce not as good burns as burning at higher speed on the same burner.

to be exact with my Liteon burner if i burn a game at X8 and then do another at X16 the X16 one gives better results though Nero CD-DVD Speed.

with old burners you want to burn at slow speeds to get good results…

So those drives I mentioned, which would be best to burn psx games on azo verbatims?

you may want to start a new thread as im not a expert on what models are good from the ones you mentioned.

i can say though Sony Optiarc’s and Liteon iHAS324 series are great i actually own 4 iHAS324 burners.

[QUOTE=s8n5150;2728096]burning at slow speeds with todays burners will produce not as good burns as burning at higher speed on the same burner.

to be exact with my Liteon burner if i burn a game at X8 and then do another at X16 the X16 one gives better results though Nero CD-DVD Speed.

with old burners you want to burn at slow speeds to get good results…

you may want to start a new thread as im not a expert on what models are good from the ones you mentioned.

i can say though Sony Optiarc’s and Liteon iHAS324 series are great i actually own 4 iHAS324 burners.[/QUOTE]

thank you again. Should I start a new thread in here Newbie forum or is there better place to ask this?