Good Audio CD Ripper

Hi all,
I am looking to rip a large quantity of CD’s so writing is not important to me. A few threads I found state to look for an optical CD-ROM drive, this seems easier said than done. I was looking at the following drive, but I cannot find any information good or bad. http://www.advcomp.net/advancedcomptech/details.asp?item=LT33053STB

So to get to the point what is the best drive to use for just ripping CD’s?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Currently, my Samsung 223F seems to be one of the best I have installed. It doesn’t cache audio (according to EAC, which is what I use), and it’s also very tolerant of disc error - say if you have a CD that’s not very well looked after.

Obviously that’s a DVD burner though, not a plain ol’ CD-ROM drive.

Hi,[QUOTE=Arachne;2243236]
Currently, my Samsung 223F seems to be one of the best I have installed. It doesn’t cache audio (according to EAC, which is what I use), and it’s also very tolerant of disc error - say if you have a CD that’s not very well looked after.[/QUOTE]Just out of curiosity - how fast does it rip a full audio CD with EAC in secure mode? I’ve yet to see a drive that beats my good old GSA-4163B :smiley:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2243276]Hi,Just out of curiosity - how fast does it rip a full audio CD with EAC in secure mode? I’ve yet to see a drive that beats my good old GSA-4163B :D[/QUOTE]

Hehe, missed this. :slight_smile:

I’ll be the first to say it takes a bit of time in Secure Mode :iagree:…sadly I retired my beloved 4163B, but I do have the 4167 installed (albeit externally)…might give that go for curiosity’s sake :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2246621]I’ll be the first to say it takes a bit of time in Secure Mode :iagree:[/quote]Hehe. :bigsmile:
I grabbed a random Audio Cd from the shelf. It had approx 60 minutes.
Rip times with EAC in secure mode:

[ul]
[li]LG GSA-4163B: 2:22 minutes
[/li][li]Optiarc AD7200A: 2:42 minutes
[/li][li]Samsung SH-S203B: 6:42 minutes
[/li][/ul]

…sadly I retired my beloved 4163B, but I do have the 4167 installed (albeit externally)…might give that go for curiosity’s sake :wink:
4167 can’t cope with its predecessor :smiley:

Hmmm, I’ve gotta revise my statement above about the Sammy 223F being a bit on the slow side in Secure Mode.

I was going by the time it took with my Dell TS-H653F (which is just a Sammy 223F with Dell firmware)…when I tested the “proper” 223F with the same CD (~50 mins in length) in Secure Mode, it knocked spots off the Dell one in terms of speed.

I had to triple-check that it was using Secure Mode, it was that much faster :eek:

And yeah, Optiarcs are nice and fast too :iagree:…I often use my 5170S - but only as long as the disc’s in pristine condition.

Thanks for the comparisons! :cool: