Gold dye CD-R's, how to buy?

vbimport

Hello!

I’m willing to buy recordable media (CD-R) that have a gold (not golden) dye, but don’t know what brands are affordable.

The reason for this is very simple: I recently bought a Mercedes-Benz C-Class which has a Fujitsu DVD-ROM reader. Mercedes-Benz cars are extremely solid, but are known for their bad optical readers.

Before buying it, I had a VW Passat and I used the optical writer on my MacBook Pro (a HL-DT-ST, i.e. LG) to burn audio disks to be used on the onboard system. The Passat had no problem in reading them, and I always used the maximum allowed speed, mostly 48x or 32x in some cases.

Well, now the C-Class is uncapable of reading them correctly, not even one! Earlier tracks, such as 1-6, are often read correctly. Tracks starting from 7 to the last gets messed up in less than a minute: the CD starts to “jump”, go back, go further, and so on. There are even some tracks where the disk stops playing for more than 30 seconds and then goes back again, and begins playing again. This can happen more than 1 time, even in the same track.

Initially, I thought the disks were scratched so the player had difficulty reading them, but this hypothesis was incorrect. The real reason behind this annoying issue is that there are write errors on the disk that the player cannot handle. The optical reader on the Passat was less sensitive to errors and could handle them, while this one is a very poor reader and can’t do this.

So I did a test: I took the best writer I’ve ever had, my Plextor PX-800A, and started writing identical disks (disks with the same audio tracks) with the same media, but at different speeds. I tried the lowest allowed one (8x) and the highest (48x).

Surprisingly, the test ended with the lowest flaws while using the lowest speed. This contradicts the article in this forum that states low burn speeds with high speed media is no good. I still don’t know why.

Even these disks are not handled perfectly and flaw, so my next attempt is to use high-quality media.

In the past, there were FUJIFILM CD-R’s with a gold dye. Not golden: gold means made of pure gold (99.9995% purity), while golden refers to an electrolythic process of implementing very little gold.

They are really good: I have just one CD-R, burnt in 2001, of this kind. It is a 650-MB CD, but I can read it perfectly even with recent optical readers!

I don’t care about money, at least now. Do you know any online shops where I can buy gold CD-R’s ?

I found these disks from Nierle: http://www.nierle.com/s01.php?shopid=s01&cur=eur&sp=en&ag=1&pp=aa&bnr=12490 . They are Taiyo Yuden gold dye disks branded under JVC Advanced Media Europe. They cost a lot of money, circa 50 EUR for a 100pcs cakebox (while an “ordinary” media cakebox of 100pcs costs less than 20 EUR). But they seem to be real gold, not just plated, and they are also thermal-printable.

Are they affordable for you?

Thanks in advance!

There’s no such thing as gold [I]dye[/I], but some CD-Rs have gold [I]reflective layer[/I].

Gold is not the most reflective material but it is one of the most inert materials and resists oxidation very well - better than e.g. aluminium.

There’s probably no better CD-R media available than JVC Taiyo Yuden, but I’m skeptical that the gold version will be easier to read/play than the normal non-gold version.

Nierle sells both the normal version (in printable and non-printable varieties) as well as the gold version.

The CD-Rs with the gold reflective layer are usually archival grade media and are a lot more expensive.

If write errors are your problem then before you spend a lot of money I’d be inclined to try some high quality normal media first and perhaps lower your burning speed a fraction if necessary.

Try some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim AZO normal CD-Rs first and see what happens.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The gold on the CDs that you linked to is simply a tint on the printing surface. For appearance only.

Real gold CD-R use either one layer of gold or a layer of gold behind a normal silver reflective layer. Neither of these “gold” discs results in better burn quality/lower errors. They just last longer. And you absolutely want to avoid the gold only CD-R, as the reduced reflectivity of the gold results in a CD less likely to be easily read by a finicky player.

As the others have already mentioned, your best bet is most likely a Taiyo Yuden CD-R. Burned at a conservative 16x. I have found that they can be just the thing for a finicky player also :).

A few things to note:

Assuming you used the internal drive of a MacBook Pro, not an external, the maximum write speed to be achieved was 24x–about the normal recommended write speed for a CD-R when using a full sized drive. Using a slim drive at this speed might be comparable to writing at 48x on a half-height drive: some drives do it well, some drives do not.

Another thing, I believe the article here put more emphasis on using a speed that’s neither too low nor too high; 8x vs 48x is a large gap in writing quality, and the results make sense. 10x/12x/16x write speeds, however, will probably be just as good as the 8x, if not slightly better, without taking the full time required for 8x.

The others above have hit on the real benefit to gold CD-R. It is highly likely, in your case, that the early CD-R media happens to have been one that was built with the highest quality in mind (as many early DVD and BD media were equally good in quality even above rated speed). They just don’t make it like they used to. :frowning:

I think what you have to try is
1)To slow down the write speed to 8x.
2)To use a CD-R with Cyanine dye, Gold/Silver reflective layer (Green/Lightblue Color Dye)
Maybe you have to use your current CD-R and try to slow down the write speed to 8x first to see if this improve or not.
Gold CD-R is designed for preservation not compatibility.

For CD-R with GOLD reflective layer,
My experience is to look for CD-R on eBay,
1)MITSUI/MAM-A (With GOLD LOGO).
2)KODAK CD-R with Blue/Purple label (Upper Right Corner).
3)That’s CD-R supports up to 6x write speed.