Going insane!

vbimport

I need help. I downloaded the trial versions of Anydvd and Clonedvd a while back, and was so impressed that I purchased the license keys. Somewhere along the way things have gotten messed up. Now DVD’s that I create will either not play on other computers/dvd players, or they will play for a bit and lock up. Sometimes they play on the computer they were created on, sometimes not. When I insert a dvd to be copied, in windows explorer the icon for my dvd player changes into a cd player, and the dvd is not displayed. Anydvd is aware that there is something there. In order to get the dvd to show up and the files to appear, I use windows media player classic and select “open dvd”. The dvd starts to play and the files appear. I close the player, open clonedvd and burn the disc. Write successfull message. But the disc is a useless coaster. It is not the media. I am still on the same pack I was using when everything was working flawlessly, and I have tried 3 different kinds, all to the same effect. The firmware of player and burner has been updated to the latest versions. I have uninstalled nero, clonedvd and anydvd, and reinstalled. I am at a loss and am obsessed with fixing this problem. Please help!

Thanks,

Paul.

@ iaintnosaintpaul,

Your problem is cause by cheap, inferior, substandard DVD media. If you would take a look through this Forum you will find numerous reports similar to your problem and you will see it all boils down to cheap, inferior, substandard DVD media. Suggest viewing the below Forum posting and it will provide information on how to correct your problem.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1001588&postcount=3

Best Regards,
bjkg

I have cranked out at least 20 coasters using the same media that worked fine a few weeks ago. Please recommend a media that can narrow down whether it is a software or media problem… or maybe it is a hardware problem. Looking into that too.

@ iaintnosaintpaul,

Your problem is not software related. AnyDVD-CloneDVD software is considered in many circles to be the best DVD coping software available. Manufactures of cheap, inferior, substandard DVD media have extremely poor quality control. One piece of DVD media might be acceptable but the next piece of DVD media fails.

Please view the referenced Forum thread. In that thread there was links to 3 sites that could recommend good reliable DVD media for your particular DVD Burner. Different Bands of DVD Burners prefer different DVD media.

Also did you notice that in the referenced Forum thread that it is highly recommend to insure that your DVD Burner has latest firmware available installed in your DVD Burner. Perchance did you visit the particular DVD Burner Forum and check to ensure that in fact you have latest available firmware instead in your DVD Burner?

Also did you notice that it is recommended to defragment your hard drive, check for Spyware, and slow down your DVD Burning speed? Perchance have you done any of these things?

Best Regards,
bjkg

Try uninstalling Anydvd & Clonedvd, but keep the registration info, then reinstall them again or in anydvd press the Default button, it may help.

This sounds a bit like some software conflicts or registry issues going on in your computer. Did you install or update a piece of software on your machine around the time when you started having dvd burn problems?
Do you have “autorun” disabled for your dvd/cd drives to prevent unauthorized installation of any software off a cd or dvd?
Do you have DVDDeCryptor installed on your machine? Does it see your dvd’s ok in your drive and can it rip them ok?

I cannot believe it, but it looks like bjkg may be right. I just tried it with another media and it seems to be working. If that is the issue I guess I will be glad and mad at the same time. Glad I dont have to reformat my computer and mad that multiple “reputable” companies are producing defective media.

It may not necessarily be “defective” media. It could be an incompatibility between the media and your drive. But it seems weird that media that used to work would suddenly become problematic. And I haven’t experienced a significant variance in quality of media within a single package. But - who knows . . .

Can you tell us which drive you are using and Media with the MID code also…

@ iaintnosaintpaul,

As stated in the referenced Forum link your problem is directly related to DVD media incompatibility between your DVD burner and the particular DVD media you are using. This problem is drastically amplified when cheap, inferior, substandard DVD media is thrown into the mix. Cheap, inferior, substandard DVD media manufactures have poor quality control. One piece of DVD media might be acceptable but the next piece of DVD media fails. This clouds the issue and makes troubleshooting efforts difficult.

DVD media manufactures are constantly updating and tweaking the dye medium that they use in the manufacturing of their DVD media. As stated in the referenced Forum thread if you are experiencing difficulty with your DVD media it is prudent to insure that your DVD burner has the latest firmware.

To keep up with the constantly changing dye medium changes that DVD manufactures introduce into their DVD media DVD Burner manufactures are forced to update their DVD Burner firmware. That is why I have been asking you to insure that you have the latest most up to date firmware installed in your DVD Burner.

The Folks at CD Freaks DVD Burner Forums are working all the time to keep up with DVD Burner firmware updates. The best place to check on the latest firmware for your particular DVD Burner is the CD Freaks DVD Burner Forums located at (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61). The folks at the CD Freaks DVD Burner Forum are very knowledgeable and have developed various firmwares that optimize the full potential of your DVD burner.

I hope you review the information provided in the referenced Forum posting. This information will help you correct your problems and allow you to back up your DVDs with out any problem.

Best Regards,
bjkg

bjkg,

First of all, thank you for your advice. You may in fact be quite right. However, if you actually read my original post, you would have seen that I had already updated all my firmware drivers etc. You do no help to people by automatically assuming that you are right and barfing out the same info. I never insulted anydvd or clonedvd… I stated that they were such great programs that I bought them and then something went wrong. After your post I doublechecked and tried the last two dvds that I had of the ones that had been working: Memorex DVD +R 4*RW. These work well. I am ashamed to admit the media that was failing was compusa branded. But wait kids there is more… TDK DVD-r 8X media is failing as well. Many coasters churned out. On bjkgs advice I searched the forum and sorted the posts by most reliable and found that Maxell DVD-R were the highest rated. Guess what? 1st Disc burned was a coaster. They are supposed to handle 1 to 8x. 6x failed. I burned at 4x and it looks ok but have not double checked. I bought a 100 pack so these better work. The burner I am using is http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=315086&pfp=BROWSE

why advertise disks that are supposed to burn at 8x but only handle 4

What are the MID codes of these DVDR’s. The name on the covers really means nothing, it only gives an idea and depending where they were made.

TDK are known to be RICOH, RITEK’s and even CMC’s
MEMOREX can be RICOH, PRODISC and also can be CMC’s
MAXELL are known to be the best because the MID are YUDEN’s or MXL, but you might buy some that are RITEKS

You have to investigate and find out which is the best for your drive and standalone player.

Me I Buy Verbatim’s and once I get them home, I check to make sure the MID is MCC’s, if not im taking back to the store…

****** EDIT *******

I just looked at your burner. Do you have the lastest USB drivers installed on your machine? Are you using USB 2.0? and make sure that cable is firmly plugged in…

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TTG02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [TDK Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [TTG02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

The Above Media is really problematic

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:AML-001-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Anwell Precision Technology]
Manufacturer ID : [AML]
Media Type ID : [001]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]

The above media is compusa brand do not buy under any circumstances

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MXL RG03]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Hitachi Maxell Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MXL RG03]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

Just bought 100 of above discs, as stated before, burning at 6x produced coaster, burning at 4x succeeded.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:PRODISC-R03-003]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [PRODISC]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [003]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

Above media is the one I have no problems with

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-D01-001]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [D01]
Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8,152.0MB = 7.96GB (8.55GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x]

The above media is obviously super expensive, I hope it is reliable

As far as I know I am using usb 2.0, the latest drivers are installed, and unless there is a ghost messing with my usb cable, I think it is securely plugged in.

@ iaintnosaintpaul,

I am attempting to help you solve your problem. From my ten years of expireance with burning thousands of CDs/DVDs and over two year experience with AnyDVD-CloneDVD I believe your problem is DVD media/DVD Burner incompatibility.

One sign of this is your statement “why advertise disks that are supposed to burn at 8x but only handle 4” If your DVD media and DVD Burner are fully compatible the DVD media will burn successfully at the advertised rated speed. The fact your DVD media will not Burn at the advertised rated speed is a clear indication that there is incompatibility between your DVD media and your DVD Burner. This is either caused by poor DVD media quality or old outdated DVD Burner firmware.

At least two of the DVD medias that you list the quality is suspect (PRODISC-R03-003 & AML-001-000).

You state that through a Web Link that you have an I/O Magic 16x4x16 External USB 2.0 DL DVD+/-RW Drive. I/O Magic does not manufacture DVD Burners. They buy DVD Burners from various other manufactures and then re-box them in an I/O Magic box. This practice is referred to as “Re-Badged”. I am unfamiliar with which actual DVD manufacture made the I/O Magic 16x4x16 External USB 2.0 DL DVD+/-RW Drive. If you use a software utility similar to DVDInf Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) you will be able to determine the actual DVD manufacture that made your I/O Magic 16x4x16 External USB 2.0 DL DVD+/-RW Drive. I don’t doubt that you believe you have the latest firmware installed on your I/O Magic DVD Burner. Folks that Re-Badged DVD Burners are noted for not having the latest DVD Burner Firmware posted at their Web Sites. In seeing that you have a Re-Badged DVD Burner I think that there might be a newer firmware issued by the actual manufacturer of your I/O Magic DVD Burner that will correct your incompatibility problem.

I encourage you to use DVDInfo Pro or one of the similar software utilities to determine the actual DVD manufacture that made your I/O Magic 16x4x16 External USB 2.0 DL DVD+/-RW Drive. If you and post that information (DVD Manufacture/Model Number/Firmware Version) here I believe we will be able to point you in the right direction on were to get the latest available firmware for your I/O Magic DVD Burner. Also once you determine the actual DVD manufacture of your I/O Magic DVD Burner you could do the legwork yourself by visiting the particular CD Freaks DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)

In closing I have never suggested that you have said anything unflattering concerning AnyDVD/SlySoft. I am also not “barfing out the same info”. I am attempting to provide you with valid information to help correct your problem.

PS- I would suggest not buying large quantities of any particular DVD media until you get this problem resolved.

Best Regards,
bjkg

I did a little poking around the net on this - and found a dialog string from someone with one of these apart - looking at a BTC oem drive inside.

BTC Model 1016UI - look here: http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-2-dvd_rw.htm#drw1016ui

Unfortunately, I do not see a list of compatible media on the BTC site for this drive - maybe it is too new. I looked in videohelp.com and found a reference there also saying this IOMagic drive is actually the BTC 1016U, but again there was not much useful info about compatible media.

If we have correctly identified what the oem drive is of this IOMagic rebadged drive, there is also a bit setting tool sitting on the BTC site which would be very useful.

The most current firmware for this drive on the BTC site looks to be A087.

If I was in this situation, I would:
. confirm that this is in fact the BTC 1016U drive
. make sure my firmware is up to date (apply the A087 firmware if appropriate)
. try using middle of the road speed (ie. 8x) media by Maxell, TDK, and/or Ritek - burning at 4x for a while. I’ve always done well with these brand name media, and generally care more about quality than speed - hence choosing speeds in the middle of the drive/media ratings.

I would also try burning with a different program than CloneDVD2 for a bit, as I don’t believe CloneDVD2 does a good job of testing for calibration errors and providing warning messages when the media/drive combo is not a good one.

@ Rich86,

Thank you your legwork in helping to identifying the Brand/Model of Forum member’s iaintnosaintpaul I/O Magic 16x4x16 External USB 2.0 DL DVD+/-RW Drive.

Hopefully Forum member iaintnosaintpaul will stop by the Forum shortly and confirm the actual true manufacture of his drive.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried the DVDinfo program, but it didnt seem to retrieve any info about the manufacturer. However, on the front of the drive is instructions to go to www.drvupdate.com. There I downloaded a tool called Live update, which I have been running periodically to update the firmware. I did it again today and indeed the current firmware is A087. I wish I had come here and learned a little bit more about the world of dvd burning before I went out and blindly bought all this stuff. I didnt realize it was so complicated.