Going from 2gb ddr400 ram to 3gb ddr400 ram - any known problems?

Yo-

I currently have 2gb of ddr400 ram in my work computer (two 1gb sticks) and have two more slots available and two 512mb sticks of ddr400 ram available (all cl3)-

Has anybody experienced any problems with 3gb of ram in a XP Media Edition based computer with SATA hard drives?

Any and all advice would be welcomed-eh!!

TIA-

Mike

Hi,

Using all memory slots [I]can[/I] make the system less stable and depending on the mobo you won’t be able to run it at the 1T-timing any more. Do you believe you need more RAM, 2GB should be sufficient by all means for a PC? You can go ahead and try it anyway.

Yo-

Thanks for the info-

I will try it-eh!

Mike

You have a good chance of loosing 1t timings and dual channel running three unmatched sticks. You will losse about 10-15 percent on the speed of your ram so I wouldn’t do it unless you have something that can actually use that much ram. Many things cannot even use more than 1 gig unless you are doing some serious multi-tasking.

[QUOTE=ripit;1475969]You have a good chance of loosing 1t timings and dual channel running three unmatched sticks. You will losse about 10-15 percent on the speed of your ram so I wouldn’t do it unless you have something that can actually use that much ram. Many things cannot even use more than 1 gig unless you are doing some serious multi-tasking.[/QUOTE]

When i do serious multi-tasking, my timings seems about the same with my 3GB RAMs(3 sticks of 1
GB) and my 512MB of ram. Is something wrong? because the only difference is playing music
and stuff like that.

That seems to indicate 512MB of ram is sufficient for the tasks being run, and more ram isn’t needed unless you were to add things that require more memory.

Nice bump :D[QUOTE=bigmike7;1472472]I currently have 2gb of ddr400 ram in my work computer (two 1gb sticks) and have two more slots available and two 512mb sticks of ddr400 ram available (all cl3)-

Has anybody experienced any problems with 3gb of ram [/QUOTE]Yes. :frowning:
Yesterday I added 2x1GB DDR400 CL3 to my existing 2x512MB sticks. Windows heavily crashed upon boot.

Motherboard is MSI K8T Neo2-FIR with Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester core).

Michael

The most likely suspect is obviously faulty memory. Try memtest86+ or memtest86. If they indicate faults, try removinging all memory sticks bar one of the 1GB sticks and run it again, followed by a run with the other one.
If it:
*Fails with either, that one seems bad
*Fails with both, either the motherboard thinks that type of memory is yucky in general, or you have bad timings in the BIOS. Try clearing the CMOS memory (the friendly manual for the motherboard will tell you how)
*Fails with neither, I’d recommend the following three steps: 1)Get confused 2)Clear the CMOS (refer to the motherboard manual) and try again 3)Ask here again, with the memory modules manufacturer name and part number.

If it does pass memory test, post again with a description of what happens when windows crashes (for instance, what it says on the screen).

A long shot is that you might have a bad power supply which is barely enough to run the computer without the new memory (keeping in mind that early during bootup power management hasn’t been started) but is just pushed over the edge by the extra memory. Not that likely though!

Hi,

Memtest is without errors for both pairs of RAM.
Also, checked timings in Bios, reset CMOS. No success.

Either I am facing some limitation of the memory controller that is integrated in my Winchester CPU.

Also on my ToDo list is to find the data sheets of my modules in order to see if I have to increase RAM voltage.

The 2x512MB pair is Infineon, the new 2x1GB pair is Kingston, both DDR 400 CL3. Will report the entire, lenghty model# if required.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2295905]Hi,

Memtest is without errors for both pairs of RAM.
Also, checked timings in Bios, reset CMOS. No success.

Either I am facing some limitation of the memory controller that is integrated in my Winchester CPU.

Also on my ToDo list is to find the data sheets of my modules in order to see if I have to increase RAM voltage.

The 2x512MB pair is Infineon, the new 2x1GB pair is Kingston, both DDR 400 CL3. Will report the entire, lenghty model# if required.

Michael[/QUOTE]

The Winchester core’s memory controller cannot run more than two sticks of memory at full DDR400 speed. You will need to drop your memory speed down to DDR333 speed in order to run stably with four sticks of memory.

Hi,[QUOTE=RJL65;2297485]The Winchester core’s memory controller cannot run more than two sticks of memory at full DDR400 speed. You will need to drop your memory speed down to DDR333 speed in order to run stably with four sticks of memory.[/QUOTE]I know (I even read the manual :bigsmile: ). Bios is so clever to drop the speed automagically.
I set RAM voltage manually to 2.6V and DDR333, 3-3-3-8 which is supported by all modules. Motherboard boots, but XP hangs showing the progress bar. At the moment I am running Memtest with all 4 modules - looks good so far. Should this just be a Windows issue? :confused: Hard to believe.

Memory modules:
2x Infineon HYS64D64320GU-5-C (512 MB DDR400 CL3)
2x Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/2G (1024 MB DDR400 CL3)

Michael