GO SLI or NO?

vbimport

I am thinking of getting a second GPU of the same type Palit GTX460OC into the second PCI-e slot. Would I benefit in doing so and it’s gone down in price since that time. So would anyone whom has gone SLI inform me what performance improvement or cons I would get going SLI? Have latest drive 266.58 and have W7x64 Ult SP1 as well.

You can check out the benchmarks for that card in SLI, you can get up to 80% performance increase. If you do go SLI you should re-install the latest drivers after installing the second card.

My GTX460 overclocks like crazy, I haven’t tested the highest clocks yet but I can get into the high 800’s so far. I don’t have a need for SLI yet at the resolutions I use (1600x1200).

I used to be against SLI due to the fact that the performance doesn’t double, but if you need high performance on the cheap SLI is the way to go. Sometimes its cheaper to sell the old card when there are deals on new generation cards but right now the GTX560 is only %10-15 faster than a gtx460 so thats not worth it at all.

How about ATI Crossfire ?

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2574582]How about ATI Crossfire ?

I already have the GTX460OC and what I want to know is adding the same GPU another GTX460OC not spending more or 2x the money for another two new GPU. I did mention I have already a GTX460OC and wanted to add another GTX460OC and would it be worth the extra money. My board is a
Asus M4N72-E quad core and will take a 6-core AMD already and I have 16x for both slots when two GPU are SLI together so what your asking is to spend money for two other GPU when I really need one instead. Maybe if I had another crossfire sure but I don’t have crossfire. Spending money on two new GPU isn’t good planning when you already have a GPU that will match another exact GPU for not much more. So before recommending another GPU one should look at what the OP was asking about in the question and go from there.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2574575]You can check out the benchmarks for that card in SLI, you can get up to 80% performance increase. If you do go SLI you should re-install the latest drivers after installing the second card.

My GTX460 overclocks like crazy, I haven’t tested the highest clocks yet but I can get into the high 800’s so far. I don’t have a need for SLI yet at the resolutions I use (1600x1200).

I used to be against SLI due to the fact that the performance doesn’t double, but if you need high performance on the cheap SLI is the way to go. Sometimes its cheaper to sell the old card when there are deals on new generation cards but right now the GTX560 is only %10-15 faster than a gtx460 so thats not worth it at all.[/QUOTE]

So you think it wouldn’t be more to my advantage to go with another GTX460OC of the same card? I would like to get another Palit GTX460-OC which is the same brand as my first GPU a Palit GTX460-OC card and put those two in SLI. That is what I like to do.

Any GTX460 will work but you can get the same card if you like.

How are your frame rates now with one card? Getting a second card will allow you to run with AA and AF set high as well as high resolution.

If you were to go from a 4 core cpu to a 6 core cpu you would not see any performance difference, few games can use 4 cores as it is.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2574743]Any GTX460 will work but you can get the same card if you like.

How are your frame rates now with one card? Getting a second card will allow you to run with AA and AF set high as well as high resolution.

If you were to go from a 4 core cpu to a 6 core cpu you would not see any performance difference, few games can use 4 cores as it is.[/QUOTE]

The GPU is getting less expensive since I bought it but not by much currently but still less then 230 is now closer to 200 but still high but it is still the upper level for it’s GPU GTX460. Not sure of frame rate but the card is the OC version from Palit the Sonic Platinum version. I know not alot of software or games will go 4 or even 6 core currently so it’s a over kill but it does sounds nice :smiley: to have. If not the CPU upgrade I think most likely I would go for another matching GPU GTX460OC version and go with that setup if the price goes down more after the higher end version of Nvidia comes out and starts selling.

That must be the 1GB version for it to be over $200?

This palit is $165 AR with FS, 1GB version: Palit NE5X460SF1102

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2574498]I am thinking of getting a second GPU of the same type Palit GTX460OC into the second PCI-e slot. Would I benefit in doing so and it’s gone down in price since that time. So would anyone whom has gone SLI inform me what performance improvement or cons I would get going SLI? Have latest drive 266.58 and have W7x64 Ult SP1 as well.[/QUOTE]
W7 SP1 is supposed to increase performance in some games. I went SLI because I like 1920 x 1080 game res with AA and AF full tilt and no stuttering. :eek:

Here is an example of perfomance increase in 3D Mark Vantage

Single GTX 580 OC Card: P35602 3D Marks

SLI GTX 580 OC Cards: P55556 3D Marks.

It does not double the performance but really enhances game perfomance at highest graphic settings… Make sure your PSU is up to snuff, I cheaped out and bought a 1000 W Silverstone Strider and it would not handle O/C’d cards and CPU. For GTX 460’s you probably want a 850W min for peace of mind. But look it up. Keep in mind some games do not work well with SLI and there are some SLI patches out there. Go for it you’ll like it. :wink: