Gnutella, G2 or Multi-network P2P programs needed

I currently use eMule and BitSpirit, but I want to use the G and G2 network. I tried Shareazza, it sucked. Does anyone know a good (preferably free) program that can connect to those networks? Thanks.

I installed Shareaza angain and when I tried to search something, I get this messege. Is there a default filter (like adult material) on? How do I disable it? Do I need some kind of patch for it? Thanks.

By default, Shareaza only connects to the Gnutella2 network, however as the majority of popular file sharing networks mainly work on the Gnutella, eMule or BitTorrent networks, you will need to configure Shareaza to make use of these to improve its search results and performance. Also, as the network is decentralised, when searching for rare / difficult to find content, I would recommend leaving the search to run for a few minutes. You’ll know if it is still searching by watching the hub & leave count as this keeps rising the more hubs and leaves it locates.

To connect Shareaza to Gnutella1 and eDonkey2000 (the network eMule uses), follow these steps:

[ol]
[li]Click the Tools menu and go into ‘Shareaza Settings…’
[/li][li]Go to the Gnutella section within Networks on the left column.
[/li][li]In the ‘Gnutella1 Network’ section, tick both ‘Always connect to Gnutella1’ and ‘Connect to Gnutella1 today’ and then click ‘Apply’.
[/li][li]Go to the eDonkey2000 section within the Networks on the left column.
[/li][li]In the ‘eDonkey2000 Network’ section, tick both ‘Connect to eDonkey2000 today’ and ‘Auto-connect every session’.
[/li][li]In the ‘eDonkey2000 Tools’ section below, click the ‘Download…’ button and click ‘OK’ to the pop-up dialogue. Once complete, click ‘OK’ to close off the ‘Shareaza Settings’ dialogue.
[/li][/ol]
Once you enable Shareaza to connect to the Gnutella1 and eDonkey2000 networks, give it a minute or so for it to establish a connection to these networks.

While most file sharing networks give options to filter out common fake file types such as files containing VBS, EXE, SCR and other common extensions used by viruses and Trojan, Shareaza does not seem to provide such a filter in its settings. However, as you show that it does filter out some results; chances are that it does filter out known extensions that are generally only ever used by viruses and Trojans. Shareaza does have a filter to hide adult content. This option can be found by going into the Tools menu -> ‘Shareaza Settings…’, then go to the General section -> General and this option is located within the ‘Search:’ section towards the bottom.

Unfortunately, unlike eMule, when I gave a shot at searching for items in Shareaza, I get quite a lot of fake results. The majority of fakes can be easily spotted as the title matches the search terms exactly (with any ‘-’, etc. for music) and these are often <100KB in size.

From my experience with using various file sharing networks, I seem to have the best experience between eMule and Limewire. Limewire seems to offer the fastest downloads when it comes to common content. eMule on the other hand is very good at tracking down rare content, especially when connected to the ‘Sonny Boy 1’ or ‘Razorback 2.0’ eD2K servers. However, in order to download from eMule, it may need to run for several hours in order to reach the front of the queue at those providing the content. This means that if you are in a hurry to get content, I would recommend Limewire, otherwise if you need to get a rare item, initiate the download, leave eMule running overnight and hopefully it should be downloaded by the morning. :wink:

Finally, if you have problems getting downloads to start, make sure that you have both the listening UDP and TCP ports used by the file sharing program mapped on your NAT firewall, as well as allowed in the Windows firewall.

Edit: As you are interested in trying out other applications that make use of the Gnutella2 network, have a look at this Wikipedia article, which explains how the network works as well as lists various clients that use it along with the original Gnutella network.

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. I’m already using eMule, and from what I’ve read on the eMule forums, Shareaza doesn’t have some kinda of thing, it makes the waiting time on the ed2k network 25% longer. And also, doesn’t LimeWire uses the Gnutella network, so theoretically I will get more source if I enable Gnutella and Gnutella 2 network on Shareaza? Is LimeWire easier to use that Shareaza? I’ve opened the ports for Shareaza, so that’s not a problem. Also on the eMule servers, all the Sonny Boy servers are fakes, they are set up by the RIAA or MPAA, so I wouldn’t connect to them.

Thanks for the eMule tip. I was not aware of the Sonny Boy servers being fake and after having a quick browse about, the same applies for Razorback servers other than 2.0 and 2.1. However, as I don’t download movies and have very rarely used eMule for songs, chances are that this was not an issue. Interestingly, I never got a single fake, but then again the only time I use eMule is to get difficult to find content, such as classic Guinness ads, video clips of scientific experiments (where the link is down on the website), etc. :stuck_out_tongue: However, I have never downloaded a chart song, let alone an album from eMule, so chances are that these are the ones along with modern movies the RIAA and MPAA are keeping an eye on.

While I do know that Limewire uses the Gnutella network, I am not fully sure why Shareaza does so poorly compared with it for downloading. From my experience, Shareaza finds quite a lot of results from the G1 network some some from the G2 network, however the majority of them are fake, even if I search for uncommon items. Then again, I have not spent much time trying to tweak Shareaza or Limewire to use specific networks (if that is possible). For example, chances are that as Limewire is a more popular application, the networks it connects to by default would have more clients than the networks Shareaza uses by default. If this is the case, if you perform a search on Shareaza, its search would need to propagate through several hubs before it reaches many of the hubs that Limewire uses.

From my experience, Limewire is simpler to initially configure than Shareaza since it is mostly preconfigured after it’s set up. Limewire also connects to the Network much quicker Shareaza on my system. When it comes to usage, I don’t seem to find anyone more user-friendly or ackward than the other in terms of launching it, connecting, performing a search, managing downloads, etc. When searching, Limewire is very quick to provide results, however the search quickly dies out after 15 to 30 seconds. Shareaza seems to keep providing more and more results the long it runs, even after several minutes of searching. For downloading however, Limewire seems to provide the quickest download rates, often even if I choose a file which has less sources than on Shareaza.

The one thing I don’t like about Limewire is its aim to go fully legitimate by blocking off content it cannot find a license for. As most users would not be bothered trying to set up a license for the content to share, even if the content is freely available (such as shareware software), this will likely kill off the amount of content shared out by Limewire clients if the majority of consumers update their clients. See this news article for more info. :rolleyes:

What is the last version of LimeWire without any filtering? Is the version currently on LimeWire’s site already implimented with the filter? Also, is LimeWire Pro really better than LimeWire? Also, I would recommend not connecting to the fake servers even if you’re not downloading any newer songs, you never know what the RIAA will do with the evidence. I use the server list on this website, http://www.gruk.org/list.php , the servers on there are considered trustworthy by many users. And thanks for the reply.

I’m using the latest version of Limewire as far as I’m aware of, however as I’m at work at this time of writing, I cannot fully confirm that. I do know that some work on licensing is already implemented in Limewire, although I cannot remember which was the last version to not feature this. However it only affects downloading and is not enforced, at least in the version I’m using. For example, if I download content which does not carry a license with it (that pretty much covers every search result :p), I will get a warning dialogue box mentioning this, with the options to proceed with the download or cancel the download.

Chances are that like iMesh, Limewire will likely fully enforce the licensing scheme in its next major version, especially since it has been at version 4.x for a long time now (version 4.9.37 at this time of writing).

I have not tried the Pro version of Limewire, so I can’t really comment on that, although hopefully someone else reading this message can. :slight_smile: Going by the features, the Pro version connects to more hubs than the basic version. Interestingly though, I have periodically seen the standard version of Limewire show ‘Turbo Charged’ as the connection status with the ‘signal meter’ type graph going blue, but have not noticed anything all that special with this status being shown in terms of download speed and search results. The main thing that puts me off purchasing the Pro version is the company’s plan to enforce licensing later on.

I just tried LimeWire 4.9.30, it doesn’t seem to return any more results than Shareaza for the content that I’m looking for. So for now I’ll keep using Shareaza since it can connect to Gnutella 1 & 2 (after some configuration). Thanks for the reply.