Gmail plans to double space to 2GB

vbimport

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/showstory.jsp?storyid=66784&s=ln

Google has revealed plans of increasing its mail storage, calling it their ‘top secret Infinity+1 storage plan’. The announcement comes on the first anniversary of the company’s email service - Gmail.

A post on the site said, “To celebrate our one-year birthday, we’re giving everyone one more gigabyte. But why stop the party there? Our plan is to continue growing your storage beyond 2GBs by giving you more space as we are able.”

The Gmail homepage says, “The gift that keeps on giving,” and there is a timer along side that ticks away increasing mail storage for users every second.

According to Marissa Mayer, director of consumer web products - Google, the company aims to upgrade their service to a stage where storage space is not an issue for its users. She also said that it was possible for the company to provide such a huge amount of space due to the way the company has setup up its computer infrastructure.

Incidentally, Yahoo announced that it is upgrading its email storage space to 1 GB last week.

Google started offering their email service in April last year, stoking competition among rival companies like Microsoft and Yahoo and pushed them to upgrade their service.

Yahoo and Microsoft initially upgraded their free email storage space to 250 MB. In a constant battle to broaden their reach to the maximum number of desktop computers, these software giant are churning out newer services on a regular basis.

Interestingly, even though Gmail has announced this upgrade it still remains in the beta stage and subscription to their service is through invitation. In March Google had started offering invitations to Gmail on its site.

The company is also reportedly testing a phishing protection solution for its email service.

2GB of email? Even with a 10MB attachment on each one how would I ever find what I’m looking for?

Google upgraded from 1->2 because Yahoo! mail goes also to 1GB.
So people will choose for google cause the 2.

My mailbox is now 1705MB… By monday it should be 2GB

Man, this is great :slight_smile:

Um guys… Do you remember what day it was yesterday…? And do consider that their “top secret Infinity+1 storage plan” looks like this.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Wasn’t it more because Microsoft increased MSN mail to 2GB? Of course, not free. (Free MSN mails only up to 250MB yet.)

Mine is up to 2gig now, You are currently using 2 MB (0%) of your 2054 MB.

I also have 50 invites for anyone here, please don’t post in this thread asking for one, IM me with your email address.

Same here, but I can’t seem to fill it.

Cool . . . I’ve got a bunch of invites too.

You know, just in case anyone wants 10 or 15 email addresses.

Somehow last email I got in my Gmail box is dated Dec 24, 2004, but my account also has 2GB space. Better than 250MB, for sure. :slight_smile:

I’m not complaining, you never know when it might get usefull.