Global software piracy cost $53B in 2008

I just posted the article Global software piracy cost $53B in 2008.

Even though major copyright groups continue to try and combat piracy, a new joint report released by the Business Software Alliance (BSA) and IDC indicates piracy reached a record high last year,…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15931-Global-software-piracy-cost-53B-in-2008.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15931-Global-software-piracy-cost-53B-in-2008.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

And if my HDD is any indicator, I’m personally responsible for 200 million dollars of that figure.

@Duke, too funny. But that would mean that if they had developed anti-piracy measures that were 100% effective, you would have purchased EVERY item on your hard drive. :slight_smile: I think that’s the weak point of the piracy arguement, the belief that people who “pirate” would otherwise buy if they could not “steal” it. I seriously doubt the loss figures because I seriously doubt “pirates” would buy everything if they couldn’t get it for free. And then if you take into account the other BS published claims that 60% of the “pirates” ended up buying what they “pirated” I find it hard to expect the other 40% to make up such a huge $ claim for the losses.

These moronic corporations need to make better products at better prices and they might see better sales. Just look at the Left 4 Dead sales figures for when they offered it for half price. But, sadly, greed trumps sense any day.

Well, I suppose I would have purchased about 10% of what I have, so I guess that would make it $20 Million. Let me go check the sofa and see how much of that I can rummage up for them.

On a serious note, you’re correct. Most people would not have spent the $200 on Vista or Office 2007. Why? Because both of those programs aren’t worth the media they’re burned on. The last program I paid for was Windows 98 SE Upgrade. I was at the store at midnight when it came out. I think it cost me $130. By the time I got to work the next day I had 5 burned copies in my hand and was selling them for $20 a pop. I made my money back rather quickly.

What’s the moral of the story? Duke is handsome and popular with the ladies.

The corps have a choices we buy hardware or software, computer software is WAY to expensive, i can barley afford Hardware, softwware is impossible. $600 and up for photoshop rediculous! And the stripped stuff is crap. businesses should pay $200 a copy and the personal use consumer should pay $50 or less. thats fare, other then that no way, unless your bringing in the dough from the app.

I wish I would’ve taken accounting in grade school like these fools who come up with these numbers.

I work for 300€ a month, if id have to pay for every peice of software on my comp id go completly open source and freeware. Just consider how fast would open source community then develop.

And i agree with Chuckwagon.