Global boom in Internet TV sales means 100 million sold by 2014

vbimport

Global boom in Internet TV sales means 100 million sold by 2014.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/04/4jsh22.jpg[/newsimage]The 3D TV craze may not be spreading as quickly as content providers and hardware manufacturers would like, but according to a new report the global consumption of similarly high-brow web-connected TVs have not been met with buyer apathy. And surprisingly, it's not the U.S. leading the charge into the realm of internet couch surfing.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/global-boom-in-internet-tv-sales-means-100-million-sold-by-2014-43693/](http://www.myce.com/news/global-boom-in-internet-tv-sales-means-100-million-sold-by-2014-43693/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

That’s really not too much of a surprise as Europe has always featured strongly in the uptake of new digital entertainment technology.

I remember my wife’s cousin coming back home from Kansas about four years ago and marvelling at the developments in satellite TV in the UK since he’d left about 20 years ago.

I showed him the American football coverage here with the interactive options (ability to choose camera angles, view stats, watch the best of what you’d missed so far, follow player cams etc.) together with what we’d now regard as all the usual TiVo style functionality and we’ve had all this here since 2001.

The uptake of flat panel TVs in their various guises has been very swift here too and satellite and digital TV transmissions continue to be the driving forces for the increasing demand for HD content and HD capable equipment.

Internet TV is also a big thing here now with all the major broadcasters now providing ‘catch up TV’, new programmes, and other content via their own online services so I suppose it’s only natural that the demand for Internet connected TVs is escalating.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It was only about a week after we got the big screen that I got an ION based PC to connect to it. Much more flexible and adaptable than the included ‘internet’ options.

I was about two days after we got an HDTV that I connected a laptop to it and was hooked. Quickly built a HTPC and have never looked back.

This is good news as it will accelerate the decline of the cable TV providers by more and more content being available online. Cable TV is a ripoff of enormous proportions and it is about time they had some serious competition. IMO, the only home related entertainment bill a person should [B][I]have[/I][/B] to pay is for Internet service. That day is quickly approaching.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2586053]It was only about a week after we got the big screen that I got an ION based PC to connect to it. Much more flexible and adaptable than the included ‘internet’ options.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree but I can still understand the attraction of having additional functionality built in to the TV.

I already have an Internet capable TV but never use it for exactly the reasons you mention as I have all the facilities I need elsewhere.

Some people aren’t too technically minded though and might prefer to have this as standard out of the box or may even just want to avoid additional clutter/boxes.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yeah, I’d rather buy a device that serves one purpose well than one that ‘does it all’ not so well. Hence the separate TV and Internet ‘Appliance’.

I see this as an introduction to show people how HDTV and the Internet can work together. If it takes off, look for HDTVs to get full blown computers built into them. It wouldn’t take much and the components are certainly small/cheap enough now to make this a reality.

[QUOTE=UTR;2586182]I see this as an introduction to show people how HDTV and the Internet can work together. If it takes off, look for HDTVs to get full blown computers built into them. It wouldn’t take much and the components are certainly small/cheap enough now to make this a reality.[/QUOTE]

That’s a very likely occurrence as once people have had a taster of what’s available it’s only natural for them to query what else is possible and to want any of those additional features they would consider useful as well.

[B]Wombler[/B]