Glitch with network drive as source

annoying glith today - has now cleared but I am puzzled as to cause & whether it will return.

DVDfab is on my XP machine.

I have 2 shared dvd folders on networked vista PC.

I wanted to convert an extract from 1 dvd in one of the shared folders -

dvdfab navigated to the folder ,OK, but then when I clicked OK to analyse it, dvdfab just “forgot” that choice of source & reverted to revious source settings.
after more testing I ascertained that ther problem applied to all dvds in that folder, and to all dvdfab modes, but that dvdfab woudl happiliy open DVds in the other shared folder on the target PC.

So I checked but did not change the sharing settings on the vista PC ( both were set so that everyone could read), opened the problem dvd across the same network in powerdvd which worked ok. then retried in dvdfab & this time it worked ???

very strange -
any one else experiance any similar glitches or have any explanations ?

could the choice of source folder be influencing dvdfab’s choice of temp & log folders & thus causing the problem, as it does not have write access on the target PC ?

anyway - it is working now but what should I check or record if it happens again ?

update;

still happening - definite problem with folders on remove vista PC.

did some extra tests. took one problem file - found the origina DVD - read it from DVD drive with fab on vista PC - OK - copies it again to HD on vista PC - read it from HD with fab - still OK- tried to read it across nework with dvdfab on my other PC - no joy.
fillped between various local & remote folders, soemtimes a remote folder will read ok - sometimes dvdfab reverts to a previously used remote folder , not the one I want to open.
have turned off pathfinder so it’s not that.
the exact fault sequence is ;select the remote folder, click OK - the blue bar( analyzing) flashes up for less than 1 second then vanishes & the source folder selction reverts to a previous used setting.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2449387]annoying glith today - has now cleared but I am puzzled as to cause & whether it will return.

DVDfab is on my XP machine.

I have 2 shared dvd folders on networked vista PC.

I wanted to convert an extract from 1 dvd in one of the shared folders -

dvdfab navigated to the folder ,OK, but then when I clicked OK to analyse it, dvdfab just “forgot” that choice of source & reverted to revious source settings.
after more testing I ascertained that ther problem applied to all dvds in that folder, and to all dvdfab modes, but that dvdfab woudl happiliy open DVds in the other shared folder on the target PC.

So I checked but did not change the sharing settings on the vista PC ( both were set so that everyone could read), opened the problem dvd across the same network in powerdvd which worked ok. then retried in dvdfab & this time it worked ???

very strange -
any one else experiance any similar glitches or have any explanations ?

could the choice of source folder be influencing dvdfab’s choice of temp & log folders & thus causing the problem, as it does not have write access on the target PC ?

anyway - it is working now but what should I check or record if it happens again ?[/QUOTE]

Hi cybmole

If I understand you right this issue your having is related to "2 shared dvd folders on a network between a vista system and a XP system, I am glad that it is now working for you :clap:

However this glitch as you will is not a DVDFab issue or problem because it is not a problem caused by DVDFab but rather how you have it set up on the network or how Vista is handling the network, so as far as checking or record if it happens again is up to you.

Also as far as “the choice of source folder be influencing dvdfab’s choice of temp & log folders”…I don’t think this is the issue or cause, however the source PC not having write access on the target PC…is again related how you have the network set up or how Vista is handling the network.

SJ

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2449400]Hi cybmole

If I understand you right this issue your having is related to "2 shared dvd folders on a network between a vista system and a XP system, I am glad that it is now working for you :clap:

However this glitch as you will is not a DVDFab issue or problem because it is not a problem caused by DVDFab but rather how you have it set up on the network or how Vista is handling the network, so as far as checking or record if it happens again is up to you.

Also as far as “the choice of source folder be influencing dvdfab’s choice of temp & log folders”…I don’t think this is the issue or cause, however the source PC not having write access on the target PC…is again related how you have the network set up or how Vista is handling the network.

SJ[/QUOTE]

Hmm, not convinced - dvdfab is the only progam I have which cannot read consistently from that remote shared folder. I can open that same folder across the network with a competitor dvd ripper program, and with powerdvd ,and with VLC , so the sharing & network config is ok for all other software ! note also the dvdfab will happily browse the remote PC shared files and allow me to select a DVD folder, but it will not then analyse and allow processing.

needs testing by someone else with a similar setup, I reckon

[QUOTE=cybmole;2449406]Hmm, not convinced - dvdfab is the only progam I have which cannot read consistently from that remote shared folder. I can open that same folder across the network with a competitor dvd ripper program, and with powerdvd ,and with VLC , so the sharing & network config is ok for all other software ! note also the dvdfab will happily browse the remote PC shared files and allow me to select a DVD folder, but it will not then analyse and allow processing.

needs testing by someone else with a similar setup, I reckon[/QUOTE]

You could be right :slight_smile: was just tossing my .02 cents in :bigsmile:

I went back after a 3 hour break & selected the previous problem dvd in that remote folder and this time it opened OK, but when I then asked for a different dvd from that same PC, then fab would not co-operate.

took 5 mins out to type this, relauched dvdfab selectesd a 3rd dvd - OK, selected the 1st one i.e. the one that worked 5 minutes ago - no joy. closed dvdfab

opened dvdfab again after typing the previous sentence, tried fro DVd1 - OK again.

so a workaround seems to be to close + re-open dvdfab between remote selections, so that it loses all memory of recent openings in the drop down bar for source