Give up on Fuji TY02? Bad burns!

vbimport

I’ve only used one media code - YUDEN000 T02 - since purchasing my 1620 OEM. About 100 were from Rima.com, the other 300-400 were FujiFilm “made in japan”, purchased at Best Buy in the Chicago, IL metro area.

Things started off great - exceptionally low PIE’s & PIF’s, CD Speed tests of 97-99 were normal for me. Lately, I cannot get a quality rating above 95 no matter what speed I burn at.

Often, I might have to try 4-5 times just to produce a halfway decent disc from the same ISO file.

Benq’s QSCAN reports “not recommended” for every burn speed most of the time on nearly all the discs. Once in awhile, I get an OK at 4X, but rarely. I do not give QSCAN much credibility though as even my decent burns have always been reported by QSCAN as “not recommended”

Bad batch of Fuji’s? QC deteriorating at TY? Still have about 150 of these to go, but getting really irked when half, or more, have really lousy test results, or I waste 3-4 discs trying to make a single backup.

Here are some burns from the past few days:

Another…

Another…

I don’t want to clog up this thread with more of the same - most are failing toward the end, but not all.

As noted, I am still running the last G F/W. Have never updated to the retail f/w, and I find it difficult to believe that would make a difference unless someone tells me they experienced the same thing, and it DID make a huge difference.

Any insight would be appreciated. Also, any recommendation on other top-shelf media (I do NOT want to fuss around with marginal media) available in the US that folks are getting virtually no failure on, and flawless playback, would also be appreciated too.

There’s another number on the disk. It’s very hard to see. It’s close to the center and it’s backwards. Starts with TG00. I have both TG001125 and TG001133. Do yours have these numbers on them? Do you defrag very often?

Could it be that those Fujifilm TY02 are fake TY02??
Or is your Benq 1620 dieing? I would buy a small spindle of other media, or maybe you have a friend who has other media, so you can burn a disk to check the result.
The burns you show doesn’t look like TY02, It’s a mad world out there…

Since he bought them from RIMA and bestbuy, I believe they are real TY. My old batch of TY (from rima and bestbuy, bought July 2004) gave me either a small spike at 2GB (2GB syndrome) or high PIEs but acceptable near the end, no high PIFs though. I would suggest to try B7T9 since overall this fw gives me better burns for various MIDs I own.

@rolling56 - current batch is TG001125, but some of my other ones were TG001133.

@cor808 - these are legit.

@zevia - might try different F/W, but have hesitated to do that for fear of warranty issue. Also thought I heard somewhere that defragmentation would have little impact on the burn quality - do you disagree with that? I do, however, keep mine defrag’d as often as I can.

Owen Stubbs…try the B7P9 FW don’t worry about the warranty issue as you can backflash to a previous G version. You are allowed to flash to G versions and your warranty will be fine. I will post a test I just ran in a new thread. I doubt it is the TY02’s since this is some of the best media around.

Let me know what happens.

I really can’t imagine that TY02 is giving such bad burnings. To make sure, could you burn a disk from another spindle. Are you using Nero, updated before the bad burnigs started maybe?. I also defrag my hard drive before burning a disk, it gives me better results.
Are there any programms running in the background maybe, virusscanner, adaware (or such alike program). Have you installed other software just before those bad disk came along?
Or did those bad disks started just with the new spindle?
Try to give us some more info, maybe one of us sees the light then!.

agree with test123. Don’t worry about the warranty issue. These drives (OEM and retail) are from the same company, and the firmwares (G and B) are also from the same company. Is there any statement, in the manual or website, that flashing an OEM drive with retail drive can void the warranty and vise versa?

Zevia…if you flash a G dirve to B then YES you do void the warranty however you can backflash to ANY G version since you are allowed to stay in the G class of FW’s and NOT void your warranty.

I have an unopened spindle of 100 that I am considering returning to BB, even if just to exchange for another since I bought it a few months ago… I have about 50 remaining on a current spindle, and have taken them out both top to bottom, as well as randomly. Cannot find a pattern. Seems like things have gotten progressively worse over time, but that could just be a symptom of a particular spindle.

I never run any other apps while ripping or burning. For burning, I use either DVD Decryptor, or Sonic RecordNow - results do not seem to matter which I use.

My only concern on switching F/W would be if the drive died and I was unable to flash it back to G. It might not matter anyway - these things are what, $60?!

I just find it difficult to believe that switching from the most recent G to the most recent B would make that big a difference, especially since I really doubt they changed any strategies on this MID.

One other thing - if BB will let me exchange this for some other media, what could I pick up that would be on par with TY? I’m happy to pay a premium IF it results in great burns and longevity.

Owen, if you can wait a few days, I can post my results for Fuji TY02 bought from Best Buy in the Chicago area… I’m going to try to get some tomorrow, and I have the latest B firmware…

just my 2 cents…to owen: try using NERO BURN to burn your dvds. i would suggest you try flashing your drive to the “B” firmware by using the WinDXflash.exe and firmware B7P9 cvt.file…boot your pc into safe mode then turn off any programs running in the background like antivirus…then run the flasher then reboot after it’s done…flashing the drive is not hard…i crossed flashed one of my rebadged I/O Magic drives from the “G” firmware to the “B”…no problems at all…I don’t think the problems you’re having are media related…TAIYO YUDEN is the best dvd media out there…if BB has MAXELL you could try those out…Office Depot has 25 pack spindles on sale for $9.99…good luck and keep us informed… :wink:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW:)
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDs

I believe that 100pack of TYs is not the recent batch. I’ve seen those lying around for a while, even with the $39.99 sale sometime ago there are still leftovers. The 50pack and 25pack ones gone fast and thus I believe they are from newer batch. Try the 25pack one which is on sale this week. Secondly, try B7P9 or T9 also… you will be surprise.

What does the number near the hub represent? My current spindle is TG001125, but my unopened one is TG001133. I see the number on the 100 pack I went through from Rima was TG001149.

Digging through some of my older burns, many of which were never scanned. Will see if I can draw any correlation between that code, and the quality of the scan. Might not be reliable though since I really do not have the time to scan dozens of each.

Regardless, I cannot do much until I run through what I already have - I certainly cannot bring myself to throw away 50-150 unused blanks!

BTW, thanks to all for continuing to help me get to the bottom of this.

I think it’s the batch number. I don’t have any TG001149’s. I was curious if you had some new or old batches to avoid. The TG001125 and TG001133’s should be good. I always look for those numbers when i buy Fuji TY02’s. Try different f/w like others have said and see if that helps.

I’ve burned hundreds of these Fuji TY02 discs and have come across discs like yours before. The rest score 98+ consistantly. I could show you scans, but too lazy to look up the name of one of the scans with the hump at the end.:smiley:

Taking the 100 spindle back for another one wouldn’t be a bad idea. When I came across a 25 spindle that was doing it, I took 4 others back and got 4 new ones just to be safe.

Owen, just try B7P9 fw, and if that doesn’t help then it means that something is wrong with your drive. I burn my TY’s at 12X and get quality scores of 97 and 98.