Gigastone to develop NAND flash controller ICs

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Gigastone to compete with SandForce, Marvel and Phison[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/09/myce-gigastone-logo-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/gigastone-to-compete-with-sandforce-marvel-and-phison-68867/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

To whom it may concerned,

This news is totally coming from no where. Gigastone does not have a plan of building SSD controller yet.

Michael Wang, CEO, Gigastone.

[QUOTE=MichaelWang;2701074]To whom it may concerned,

This news is totally coming from no where. Gigastone does not have a plan of building SSD controller yet.

Michael Wang, CEO, Gigastone.[/QUOTE]

So is the following news on DigiTimes based on nothing? The source seems to be your chairman, Wang Li-Min.

@Michael Wang, thank you for your comment, much appreciated, would you be able to elaborate what the plans regarding NAND controllers Digitimes reports about are? Or is the entire article incorrect?

Dear MyCE,

1. Gigastone offers controllers of SD cards and USB flash drives. NOT SSD controllers.
  2. Gigastone is not in SSD controller business. Gigastone has no plan to get in SSD controller business.
  3. In nand flash industry, everyone knows that Gigastone is not doing any thing related to SSD. It makes your report looks like a funny joke, when you put a title saying Gigastone is to compete Marvel or Sandforce. Marvel and Sanforce are both a much much bigger company then Gigastone. They are great companies.
  4. Gigastone is actually looking for the opportunity to cowork with Marvel and Sandforce. Your title: Gigastone to compete with Marvel, Sanforce…, is actually hurting Gigastone business plan.
  5. Personally, I get along with Sandforce people very much. We work together very close. Your report hurts our relationship.

Hello Mr Wang,

I’ve sent you an e-mail this afternoon to discuss this. Thank you for the clarification here anyway!

Mr. Keshih,

When people see Gigastone is going to compete with Marvel and Sanforce in SSD controllers, it is as funny as when people seeing a news saying Asus is going to compete Intel and AMD in PC CPUs. The title you put on this article makes Gigastone and myself looks like a fool in the nand flash industry.

I believe Asus does not have a plan to compete Intel and AMD. It is a true fact that Gigastone does not have a plan to compete Marvel and Sandforce.

Michael Wang, CEO, Gigastone

Here’s the article out of DIGITIMES that Ken is referring to.

Mr Wang, I’ve adapted the title of the article as I agree on what you say.

Dear MyCE,

Thank you very much. I am very happy with the result! Appreciated!
If you come to Taipei, please pay me a visit. It is my great honor to nuy you a cup of coffee and to present Gigastone’s story to you.

Michael Wang, CEO, Gigastone

Domi - Taipei has some of my favorite cafés in the world. Make him give you the names of his favorites instead of coffee! ha ha.

Keelung (north port city) or Kaohsiung (south-central), and travel in between. At least one time, drive down the east coast - very scenic in places. Rocky cliffs at times, sandy beaches others.

The best food per mile in the world.

Oh. And get a driver - don’t think about driving yourself. Rome driving is EASY by comparison!

EDIT: actually, there is a market in Keelung - kind of a big, sprawling open place that has THE BEST seafood in the world. Truly “right off the boat”. Point to some fish, point to the kettle or wok, and enjoy sauces and taste treats.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2701371]Mr Wang, I’ve adapted the title of the article as I agree on what you say.[/QUOTE] The title of this forum thread remains unchanged, however, in case you forgot.

^Fixed

[QUOTE=MichaelWang;2701361]Dear MyCE,

1. Gigastone offers controllers of SD cards and USB flash drives. NOT SSD controllers.
  2. Gigastone is not in SSD controller business. Gigastone has no plan to get in SSD controller business.

…[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your clear answer.

So the original DigiTimes article only meant something related to “NAND” controllers. Since the chips inside SD cards and USB drives are also NAND, the DigiTimes article is correct. I’ve seen thousands of such articles at DigiTimes, not explaining enough, not providing enough details.

I think part of the problem is due to translation. A very small percentage of DigiTimes articles in Chinese are translated to English and very few of those translators must be sufficiently proficient in English. But there’s no South Korean media that’s as good as DigiTimes.

This thread also needs to be moved to another forum since this is only for independent drives and NAS of SSD and HDD. The contents of the first post also needs to be edited since it implies Gigastone’s trying to make controllers for SSD drives so that it it’ll compete directly against SandForce and Marvell.