Giganews usenet: giganews vpn free?

vbimport

I’m considering using giganews usenet, and now I heard that giganews usenet is offering a free VPN service. Is this correct and when should I use the VPN service? I’m sorry if I ask dump questions :o

Thread moved from the hardware forum, because it is not hardware related :slight_smile:

Why wouldn’t you go with Astraweb? Unlimited DSL - US$ 11 every month

Many ISPs apply some sort of traffic shaping to give some types of applications priority over others. For example, some ISPs will heavily throttle P2P and Usenet traffic due to the amount of bandwidth they use.

A VPN is a secure encrypted connection used to connect to a network, typically by employees to connect to the corporate network without risking their data being eavesdropped upon, especially when on public Wi-Fi hotspots, which are generally not secure.

A side-effect with VPN is that an ISP has no way of monitoring what is being sent over the VPN connection, as the data is encrypted. Generally ISPs don’t throttle VPN traffic as they risk slowing down legitimate traffic transfers, especially workers who are dialling in from home by VPN. So if you are using an ISP that throttles Usenet traffic, the VPN is a simple way to overcome the restriction, as it will appear just like any other VPN connection to the ISP monitoring equipment. :slight_smile:

As Giganwes provides a 14-day trial of the VPN, I would suggest giving it a try and see what the speed is like with and without the VPN. The VPN is a separate connection, so even if you get this package, it is up to you whether you want to connect with the VPN or directly.

Their VPN can also be used as a privacy feature, especially if you use it on a laptop and travel, as it will encrypt your Internet connection once connected to the VPN, which is useful for public Wi-Fi hotspots (including pay-to-use) where it is quite easy to eavesdrop on traffic.

Thank you for your quick responses!

@Geno: thnx, sorry for posting in the wrong forum I used the ask-a-question-button at the frontpage, but my question was not hardware related

@MegaDETH: thnx, I’ll consider Astraweb too, do you have good experience with them? I’ll have a look and see what they offer.

@Seán: great and informative post, and a great anwser to my question. You provide information the way Giganews is not able to make it clear to me on their website!!

No problem at all ZappZapp :flower:

My close friend uses Astraweb and I use Usenetnow, we chose different providers in case we had incomplete files that couldn’t be fixed. But yes I did use them and was very happy.

If you don’t need (or won’t ever use) any of the advanced features that giganews offers don’t spend 2x as much is all I am saying :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ZappZapp;2500290]Thank you for your quick responses!

@Geno: thnx, sorry for posting in the wrong forum I used the ask-a-question-button at the frontpage, but my question was not hardware related

@MegaDETH: thnx, I’ll consider Astraweb too, do you have good experience with them? I’ll have a look and see what they offer.

@Seán: great and informative post, and a great anwser to my question. You provide information the way Giganews is not able to make it clear to me on their website!![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Seán;2500287]

A VPN is a secure encrypted connection used to connect to a network, typically by employees to connect to the corporate network without risking their data being eavesdropped upon, especially when on public Wi-Fi hotspots, which are generally not secure…[/QUOTE]

Hey Seán, I always thought that VPN encrypts web traffic and SSL encrypts the Usenet traffic? I always use SSL when downloading from newsgroups; should I use VPN too then? :slight_smile:

VPN actually encrypts everything over the connection :slight_smile:

If you seem to get one fine with SSL, I don’t think there is any benefit of going with VPN other than to take advantage of the other privacy features, such as secure Internet access at Wi-Fi points and hiding your IP (e.g. to get access to websites restricted to US users). However, if you would like to use a usenet client that doesn’t support SSL, the VPN would transparently encrypt the traffic.