Gigabyte X79S-UP5-Wifi problems or bad reviews or something else?

vbimport

Has anyone on here used this motherboard and did a test on it? I like to upgrade to this board for it’s ports and expansion but since reading reviews in NewEgg had me do a double take?

Here the manufacture link:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011 - GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI (rev. 1.0)

And NewEgg

GIGABYTE GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI Extended ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

I want to degrade the negative reviews on NewEgg. One of the first CONs is “color scheme”. Good grief. Color schemes is his FIRST negative?!! “Oh my - it doesn’t go with my eyes! Oh my, it doesn’t go with my spring outfits!!” Sheesh…

Another one degrades it because of gamer performance.

Uh. It has 8 SAS ports. This is a STORAGE BOARD. It’s designed for MASS HARD DRIVES in large RAID formations. NOT A BLEEPIN’ ANGRY BIRDS board!! Jiminy.

Take a look at Seagate Constellation drives, or any other SAS drive. Plus the cost of SAS cables. Put 8 drives (that’s about $400 each - $2500+, plus cables, another $200 or so). Also, maybe the joys of Rackmounted Cases will be discovered, too (Rosewill has a pretty nice cheapo 4000 line where both cages of 4-drives each can be removed by pulling them thru the facia without disturbing any motherboard or card alignment).

Color scheme should be the LAST consideration but, for that brainiac, it was his first.

Finally, the only comment from my set of experts is, “Gigabyte doesn’t have great RAID support” so if your SAS system fails, Gigabyte may not have the best support. (Uh, when those systems fail, by the way, NO CUSTOMER is happy with their vendor.)

Well I for one own two of the blue GigaByte boards and couldn’t agree more about the colour.

I noticed that a lot of the LGA 2011 boards seem to have 20-30+ % one or two star reveiws in looking through them months ago. I"m surprised the ASUS Rampage board has so many problems. Then again, I’m surprised that some of the EVGA and ASRock boards do too. It almost seems like the manufacturers had problems dealing with the chipset for this board. I do remember someone saying that the 2011 boards were the only ones where you could get true PCI-3.0x16, but that you had to go in and enable it somewhere in the BIOS, otherwise it would be a plain old PCI-2.0 x16 slot.

I do know a guy who highly recommends SuperMicro boards but they are pricey if you don’t need all the functions and RAM slots that come with it.

Besides the color its the actual running and usage of the board I am more concerned with and those reviewing the color isn’t what I was looking for but the implementation and usage of the hardware. It’s not a cheap board and CPU as well so I like to go to this board as it has enough HDD/Sas connections I like to have for my Main/NAS desktop.

CC, I meant to degrade the calibre of the reviewers who start off complaining about board color-coordination. When I see a review with those complaints, that reviewer is usually given a Multiplier Factor about Zero.

These boards - and server boards - require far more user-time and education than I’ve been willing to allot. If I didn’t have guru’s who were well experienced in these, I’d probably never get a 2nd one. (Kind of like Intel’s own motherboards!)

I just hope you’re going to use this board for a LOT of storage. It’s designed for even more than that, but there are other 2011 boards that offer those features but without the SAS connectors and this board has a premium-price based on those features.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2686816]CC, I meant to degrade the calibre of the reviewers who start off complaining about board color-coordination. When I see a review with those complaints, that reviewer is usually given a Multiplier Factor about Zero.

These boards - and server boards - require far more user-time and education than I’ve been willing to allot. If I didn’t have guru’s who were well experienced in these, I’d probably never get a 2nd one. (Kind of like Intel’s own motherboards!)

I just hope you’re going to use this board for a LOT of storage. It’s designed for even more than that, but there are other 2011 boards that offer those features but without the SAS connectors and this board has a premium-price based on those features.[/QUOTE]

I know it was directed toward those reviewers whom has a color bias and not doing a through review instead. Yeah it’s that it has SAS that I can use instead of having PCI-e expansion card controlling my HDD. I have my desktop/NAS that has 7-3TB HDD that stream and having all the connection on the board and not other card saves me space and wiring mess. If that eATX board will fit in my midATX case I will save up and get it and do a complete redo setup and hopefully clear up my rats nest in my case. I read that reviews and those talking about the color and I was like do you have something of value that you can contribute to the reviews so others looking can get a insight as to how others have done their setup and what their experiences are using it. Talking about color reviews in my mind is a no-starter to begin with. They should talk about how the rig was pieced together and what they did and how they make it work for them and if not why and what was the problem. Now that would help me know what to expect.

I recently have been moving my mid-tower cases into rackmounted 4U units that give me two 4 or 5-bay 3.5s and then a 3-set of 5.25 drive bays. It’s rather a standard Desktop Case layout except the cases are DEEP - 25 inches is WAY TOO DEEP but 23 or 22 is really great. That way, my motherboard sits at one end and all my cabling is easily manipulated, identified and re-routed when any part is added or changed.

This Rosewill RSV R4000 is ideal for me because it’s only 23" deep. There’s an L4000 case that’s an inch deeper and I don’t need 4 inches between drives and motherboard - 3 inches is fine!

This case’s drive cages pull forward, one cage or the other, so shifting drives around means “Pull out a cage of them” but adding a drive is a simpler “insert from front, connect in back”. No skinned knuckled, no dark shaded areas hidden by other devices. VERY nice. Then, shove the thing back under the sewing tables or into a rack, and let 'er rip.

Oh - the bigger negative is “No Motherboard Cut-out For Easy CPU Cooler Replacement”. If I was testing CPU Coolers, this might not be ideal - HOWEVER - considering that I don’t really need to remove much BUT the cards and motherboard stand-off screws, it’s really easy to get a motherboard in and out.

And I really like having the motherboard out, on my table, so I can eyeball and ‘feel’ the leveling of all the attachments. I can’t ever do that with a motherboard still in a case.