Gigabyte to offer a motherboard with built-in SSD

vbimport

Gigabyte is planning to offer a motherboard with the Intel Express Z68 chipset and include a 20gb Intel 311 series SSD onboard. The motherboard will be called the Z68XP-UD3-iSSD.

Details of the motherboard can be seen here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3896

And Endgaget has a short write-up about the benefits, including use of Intel’s Smart Response. http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/28/gigabyte-bolts-an-ssd-to-a-motherboard-so-you-dont-have-to/

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2590256]Gigabyte is planning to offer a motherboard with the Intel Express Z68 chipset and include a 20gb Intel 311 series SSD onboard. The motherboard will be called the Z68XP-UD3-iSSD.

Details of the motherboard can be seen here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3896

And Endgaget has a short write-up about the benefits, including use of Intel’s Smart Response. http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/28/gigabyte-bolts-an-ssd-to-a-motherboard-so-you-dont-have-to/[/QUOTE]

This has got to be a coincidence, about 24 hours before you posted this I got an e-mail from a friend in Taiwan telling me about these boards, he has a sample already and says he has never seen people respond to a new feature so positively, I think most will use this 20gb SSD to install their OS on, but that will negate the caching feature.

Can you select what you want to do with the 20GB SSD? I was under the impression that it can only be used for cashing data, and improve the response of your OS.

[QUOTE=vroom;2590329]Can you select what you want to do with the 20GB SSD? I was under the impression that it can only be used for cashing data, and improve the response of your OS.[/QUOTE]
I did quite alot of reading on the fine points of having this 20gb SDD onboard and I didn’t read anything that said you couldnt use it as a boot drive. I could be very wrong, but that was my impression.

OK, but 20GB will be very tight for win7

[B]You are correct Vroom, it will not fit, at least I wouldn’t try it.[/B]

Windows 7 system requirements
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here’s what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
[B]16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)[/B]
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

[B]Yet this was posted by ZDNet[/B]

Want to build a fast-booting system without buying and installing a solid state drive? Gigabyte is giving you another option by launching a new motherboard that has a 20GB SSD baked right in.

The Z68XP-UD3-iSSD is based on the new Z68 Express chipset for Intel’s Sandy Bridge processors, and comes with a new m-SATA Intel Solid-State Drive 311 Series unit. The Z68 introduces Intel’s Smart Response Technology to improve system performance through app caching, and 20GB gives you enough space to park your OS and some frequently used programs to take advantage of it. Intel claims that the technology provides a 60-percent speed boost over a pure hard drive-based system, and a fourfold performance improvement over hybrid SSD-hard drive setups.

[QUOTE=vroom;2590377]OK, but 20GB will be very tight for win7[/QUOTE]

Windows 7 32bit will fit and surprising but true, Dabs here sells a tablet PC with a 16GB SSD running Windows 7 and Android. If 20GB seems a little small, I sure wonder how customers of this product will get on with 16GB, not to mention the space taken up by Android. :slight_smile:

For my own curiosity, I have carried out a clean installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit in Virtual PC, installed service pack 1, IE9 and all the patches up to date. To reduce disk usage as much as possible, I disabled the page file, ran the Windows disk cleanup utility and disabled system restore:

With the user documents, pictures, etc. folders redirected to a HDD, that would leave over 10GB of free space for future updates, applications, etc., so a 20GB OS drive is completely useable, but something which will become cramped over time. My current near 2-year old Windows 7 64-bit OS drive is using 45GB of space, so a 20GB or even a 32GB SSD would have reached its capacity a long time ago.

However, as a cache drive, I’d imagine this will be very effective, especially going by the reviews I’ve seen so far of Z68 boards. Unlike the Seagate hybrid HDD, this SSD is used to cache write operations as well. 20GB of cache should be plenty for most users, since even if the OS grows to over 100GB, chances are that less than 20GB of that data would be read no more than once in a month. It’s worth noting that the motherboard chooses which data to store on the SSD for fast reading, unlike an SSD used as an OS drive where it is up to the user to decide what to put or install on the SSD. :wink: