GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $107 shipped

vbimport

Link

great board for OC at super low price

Model
Brand GIGABYTE
Model GA-965P-S3
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium
FSB 1066/800MHz
Supported CPU Technologies Hyper-Threading Technology
Chipsets
North Bridge Intel P965 Express
South Bridge Intel ICH8
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Dual Channel Supported Yes
Expansion Slots
PCI Express x16 1
PCI Express x1 3
PCI Slots 3
Storage Devices
PATA 1 x ATA100 up to 2 Devices
SATA 3Gb/s 6
Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset None
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC883
Audio Channels 8 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Marvell 8056
Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
COM 1
LPT 1
USB 4 x USB 2.0
S/PDIF Out 1x Optical and 1x Coaxial
Audio Ports 6 Ports
Onboard USB
Onboard USB 4x USB 2.0
Physical Spec
Form Factor ATX
Dimensions 12.0" x 8.3"
Features
Power Pin 24 Pin
Features This product does not support Win9X/ME
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

Good deal, but be warned – I just bought two of these, and they shipped Rev 1.0 boards rather than Rev 3.3. Weird boot problems w/ a C2D E6600 & 2 x 1GB Mushkin 1.8V PC6400 DDR2 5-5-5-15. The CPU fan would not spin after shorting the power switch jumper, and the machine would restart when it detected 0 RPM. If I let it continue for a while, the CPU would heat up enough for the Auto Fan settings to give some voltage to the CPU fan and the board would post. However, even after disabling Auto Fan in the BIOS (or setting it to Legacy) it would do the same thing whenever I tried a cold boot.

Tried it with Kingston RAM, different PSU, etc., and ended up returning the boards for a refund. If you like Gigabyte and the 965P Express chipset, you might consider the GA-965P-DS3 at Newegg–solid caps, great overclocker, and affordable. I think they’re mostly shipping Rev 3.3 on the DS3 right now, too, so that means native support for a 1333MHz FSB as well as better memory compatibility, especially with D9 chips.

Just my recent experience with the S3 rev 1.0. YMMV. Sorry if I sound like I’m flaming a good bargain.

This looks good deal with good brand name MB my Son used to have this MB until 3 months ago when he upgraded to Pentium Due Daul processor and Asus MB.

The DS3 is exactly the same as this board except it uses better quality caps, thus OC a bit better, but the S3 OC pretty well for those just want to OC a bit to make the system a bit faster.

Running my E6400 @ 3.2 GHz with the S3 board…

In the motherboard forum over at Anandtech, the consensus of opinion seems to be that the S3 overclocks every bit as well as the DS3. They believe that the solid state caps on the DS3 only increase the service life of the motherboard, and have no other effect.

The boards are EXACTLY the same except for the caps… the reason I’d go with the DS3 is because Newegg doesn’t seem to be trying to move a bunch of rev 1.0 DS3’s right now.