Gigabyte 965P-DS3 overclocking problems. HELP please!

I have a new Gigabyte 965P-DS3 /rev.3.3/ motherboard with P4 D930 cpu which I want to overclosk but I cannot.

I’ve used the manual which said I should ajust in the BIOs under the M.I.T. and enable CPU Host Clock Control then I can change the CPU Host Frequency /from 200 MHz to anything I want it to, say 250 MHz/. But if I do that I should set the System Voltage Control to Auto from Manual.

If I do that I won’t get any picture /so I’ll have to clear CMOs/ at restart or if it does then it reset the settings I’ve made /though I did not clear CMOS/. If I do not set the System Voltage Control to Auto then I’ll defenetly won’t get picture and I’ll have to clear CMOS.

this happens with both the original BIOS /version F10/ and the updated one too /F11/.

Gigabyte Support told me that it will make the computer instable if I overclock the CPU and the memory /but I didn’t overclock the memory at all/. Also if System Voltage Control is on Auto then the memory voltage is set to Normal by BIOS.

What am I doing wrong? Could someone help?

Thanx in advance!

When you overclock the FSB (CPU Host Frequency) the memory speed will go up accordingly. According to your sig, you have ddr533 memory which should at least allow your FSB to run at 266mhz. In the "System Memory Muliplier option, if you choose “2.0” then the ram/cpu will run at a 1:1 ratio, which means your cpu and ram will run at the same speed.

You may also need to turn up the vcore (System Voltage Control) up a bit when you raise the frequency. All chips are different and some may overclock on stock voltage and others may need more. I suggest trying 210 mhz first, and if it doesn’t boot add a bit of voltage. Keep repeating and stress test your setup with orthos.

Okay. Now I’ve seen it how it overclocked the memory /I’ve looked for that option you said/ and tried 210 MHz for cpu and “2.0” for memory. Suprisingly I’ve got picture and the system IS overclocked so I’ve checked in Windows if Orthos will find the system stable and it seems it’s okay /no errors though by the end it slowed down but after I’ve closed it everything went back to normal/.

I think I’ll try a little higher now right? But I don’t know what to set for memory, since “2.0” is already the lowest I can set. Though I think I’m wrong about my memory /the sig said ddr 533 MHz, but based on my bios and my motherboard/ it should be ddr2 and 667MHz /when the system is not overclocked after setting the multiplyer to “2.0” it was 490 MHz/.

Okay. I’ve tried 220 MHz with every posible multiplyer for the memory /anything that did not push it over 667 Mhz also with Auto/ eveytime no picture. :sad:

Also I’ve checked and Lavalys’ Everest tells me too that the memory iss 667 MHz. Now I wonder why would I have had wrote smaller MHz in the signature if I did not buy that type. Guess I’ll have to find my papers for it.

PS: found my papers. Yes it’s 667 MHz /so I’ve changed my signature/. Guess my previous mobo could not see it well 'cause I remember the Asus board always told me it’s 533 MHz. Oh well, at least that’s not a problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve read it somewhere that Corsair memories won’t run on 3V /or actually any V higher than their original/ if they are “Value Select” /a.k.a if I want to overclock it won’t work/. Is this true? Does it effect the fact that I can overclock this system till 3.15MHi but not higher?

Also aint that a problem that in CPU-Z under the memory tab I can not see the data for Bank Cycle /a.k.a it’s greyed out/?

Have you tried raising the cpu voltage (System Voltage Control)? The stock voltage is enough for 210mhz but since it won’t boot with 220mhz, try bumping up the vcore the next increment up and try again. If it still doesn’t boot up and you have no picture, keep adding more voltage until it finally does boot up, then you can check stability with Orthos. If Orthos crashes, freezes or reboots then add more vcore until it’s stable. I’m not sure what’s the max safe vcore is with your cpu, but for Core 2 Duos usually it’s around 1.5v. Just keep an eye on the temperature.

Keep the memory at 2.0 since running at 1:1 is best. At 220mhz your memory frequency should be 440hz, which is way under ddr667. You should not require to adjust the memory voltage at all since you’re running less than the rated speed. Technically you’re not overclocking the memory at all, so don’t worry about them. Just make sure you’re running the stock timings on them.

On my cpu-z those options are also grayed out as well. That’s normal.

Just remember to take small steps and be patient. Jumping from 200mhz to 250mhz all at once usually doesn’t work too well unless you’re lucky. Good luck.

Okay, now I’ve tried every vcore option from 1.28 till 2V /it went up with only 0.005 V per option/ and nothing. Above 210 it gives no picture /not at 220 nor at 215 not even at 212/. :frowning: I’m just wondering what makes this. It gives picture if I have my replacement vga in it /that’s a PCI card and the current new one is PCI-Ex/.

I’ve just solved my own problem. All I had to do is set (G)MCH from Normal to +0.1V :doh: and everything is working /no memory downclocking or anything/ and do the usuall change /CPU Host Clock Control to Enabled and change CPU Host Frequency to the prefered MHz/.

Sorry for posting again after my own post but I’ve thought that just in case someone else will have the same problem they might want to know how to solve it.