Gigabyte 240GB SSD GP-GSTFS31240GNTD

A quick look on the GP-GSTFS31240GNTD SSD from gigabyte, no info on whats inside also no testing on power consumption.

Lest start with the drive, a like the clean look.

Here is the write test on HD Tune pro,

Also a few more results

cdm

Not much info on Crystal Disk Info, in a way this was expected.

The performance of this small drive looks promising, nothing impressive but it did not expect that from a 25 euros SSD.
This drive will be replacing an ancient 1TB WD hard drive and its main use will be for office tasks, so for me its a very good upgrade for those that just want to place the spinning rust inside their old PC.

3 Likes

I know, I´m maybe the only one who is interested in this, but how fast it is if writing the whole capacity on the row?

Because all these Pseudo-SLC-Turbo-writing-speeds are hiding the weak points if you only write some GB.

Pretty good performance for a 25 Euro SSD.

It would be great to see what is inside (as your post title suggests)

PHISON 3111-S11-13 SSD controller.
Toshiba 64 layer BiCS3 TLC NAND.

So, a decent controller and good quality TLC NAND.

The question is: Support

Some of the cheapest SSDs in Germany are:

Mediarange
Emtec
Gigabyte
Verbatim

Seems to be none of them deliver a SSD-Toolbox. And I doubt Updates will be available.

The GigaByte has an SSD toolbox, which was last updated on Nov 2019.
It also has a 3 year warranty.
I’m not sure what more you could expect from a 25 euro SSD.

1 Like

Here is a full write test.

Also a qucik test with the latest version of CDM and set it to real world performance, numbers look where they should be for a cheap drive.
cdm%20real%20world%20perfoamance

I dont expect Gigabyte, and any of the other cheap SSD’s manufacturers to provide any firmware support, if we are lucky and there is some kind of a toolbox then we might be able to get a new version from the manufacturer of the controller.
I personally dont care that much about firmware support on drive that cost 25 euros, and has a three year warranty, plus it going to be installed on an office PC, and its more than enough to handle word, and youtube.

However I will give this toolbox a quick look later today.

Well the tools is very basic, and should be fine for novice users, or if its pre-installed on your system.

1 Like

Are you sure it´s a full write test in HD Tune? This would mean it´s much fast than almost all other SATA-SSDs.

Here is a Silicon Power A55 256GB. Most actual Low-capacity-SSDs perform like that, only difference is the capacity of the SLC-cache.

Here is also the hd tach test run on full bench, the result is the same, I dont know if i got lucky with this ssd, but there is no point trying to push it any further, I need to put this drive on a pc ASAP.

1 Like

Thank you for these tests :slight_smile:

That´s strange. I remember my older SSDs with a similar capacity have similar results because of more flash modules which can be written in parallel. But this were high price SSDs like my Corsair Neutron. And all those SSDs with full capacity fast writes were MLC

I agree most affordable SSD’s have very low write performance, and sometimes even the ones that came from reputable brands also suffer from very low write speeds.
I have no idea how this drive appears to be the exception to the rule, but I wont be advising anyone to go and buy this SSD if he/she does some serious work to do, now for an office use, well then things change and its a good drive, well priced (for what I paid) also its nice to have the three year warranty.

Even the better series of low capacity SSDs have weak points in sequential writing because it have only a few NAND-chips. The performance of this SSD in sequential writing is really good.

Now have fun with your new SSD :wink: