Gigabit or 10/100?

Today I found an article at Tom’s hardware that made me think about the question in the title :doh:

If what is reported there is true, for a mean user is basically useless to get a gigabit equipment, because even the fastest HDD cannot use fully the bandwidth :doh:

Only with a SSD drive maybe is possible to move data through a network connection fast enough to use a gigabit speed.

So what are your opinions? Is it really better to have a (more costly) gigabit connection compared to a 10/100 equipment if the full gigabit speed will be never reached?

There will be anyway an advantage getting a gigabit equipment over a 10/100 one even if the full bandwidth will be never used?

Hmm.

I get ~35-40 MByte/s via GB-Ethernet (the usual Realtek onboard-chips). That’s roughly four times the speed of a good 100 Mbps network.

GBe is not interesting if the only device you connect your computer to is your internet router.

Apart from that, the price difference for onboard GBe vs. 100 Mbps can be neglected.

Michael

At the moment I don’t have a couple of gigabit net cards to run a test by myself. After reading that article I am in doubt that I can have a real advantage (i.e. a shorter time needed) using a gigabit connection over a 10/100 to move files between two computers :doh:

I can invest some money to get a couple of PCIe net cards if I am sure that I’ll get a real advantage. But I don’t want waste money if even with a gigabit connection the time needed to move files will be the same than a 10/100 connection :frowning:

I honestly don’t see why you shouldn’t, about any motherboard nowdays comes with gbit NICs and switches or whatever you need are only slightly more expensive in general. Have in mind that you can mix 100mbit and 1gbit devices on the same switch. If you need NICs you can find cheap ones (Broadcom for instance) on eBay.

FWIW I get around 50mbyte/s to my HTPC (old T7K500 320GB SATA HDD) when writing and reading files (faster if it’s pure network traffic)

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-8390MT-PRO-1000-MT-Gigabit-PCI-NETWORK-CARD-NEW_W0QQitemZ350211721163QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518a3ec7cb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.com/Broadcom-Gigabit-Desktop-PCI-E-Network-Card-BCM5751-NIC_W0QQitemZ140325900255QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ac134fdf&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
//Danne

So what is reported in the above article is not true?

I can find Intel gigabit cards (both PCI and PCIe) in a local store here (I can save shipping costs :bigsmile:) but I was in doubt that I could get a real advantage over a 10/100 connection :slight_smile:

There is no shipping cost… :wink:
You’ll see at least twice as fast network performance in worst case
//Danne

Thanks to both for your answers :slight_smile:

I’ll get a nice gigabit switch too then :bigsmile:

I found a 5 port version (instead of 8 ports) of the Allied Telesis you suggested me in the other thread :bow: The price is about half and 5 ports are sufficient for me :bigsmile:

Strangely, however, the ALLIED TELESIS - AT-GS900/5E is not mentioned on the AT website :doh:

[QUOTE=geno888;2445978]So what is reported in the above article is not true?[/quote]The article is true, indeed. The transfer speed is determined by the slowest component, which often seems to be the HDD of one computer that is involved in the transfer.

I can find Intel gigabit cards (both PCI and PCIe) in a local store here (I can save shipping costs :bigsmile:) but I was in doubt that I could get a real advantage over a 10/100 connection :slight_smile:
With 10/100 you can expect roughly 10MByte/s at best. GBe in real world application with average computers offer about 4 times that speed.

Intel LAN cards have an excellent reputation, but I doubt there is a significant performance gain compared to a Realtek/Broadcom/whatever for half the price.
Perhaps similar to Fiat vs. Audi or something like that :slight_smile:

Michael

http://www.alliedtelesis.com/media/datasheets/gs900-8e_eco_ds.pdf
"Available in 5 and 8 port models"
//Danne

My choice is on an Intel card not only because of reputation, but also because is the one I can find in the store :bigsmile:

I still prefer to buy locally if prices are equivalent to an online store :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link DiiZzY :bigsmile: