Giada unveils Android MiniPC with HDD bay & battery backup

vbimport

I just posted the article Giada unveils Android MiniPC with HDD bay & battery backup.

Giada has announced their ARM based Mini PC, the Giada Q11 which runs Android 4.0, capable of playing Full HD H.264 MPEG4 video, features 1GB RAM, 8GB Flash, 2.5" HDD bay and is battery backed to run when unplugged or during a power outage.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/giada-unveils-android-minipc-with-hdd-bay-battery-backup-66482/](http://www.myce.com/news/giada-unveils-android-minipc-with-hdd-bay-battery-backup-66482/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Nice PC. Too bad they didn’t use the RK3066 dual core CPU. IMO, a single core will be lacking for many purposes.

Playback of 1080p content always seems lacking in single core Android devices.
Some software supports 1080p playback, but not the audio, and programs which Support the audio don’t support hardware accelerated 1080p video, the result being unwatchable videos using many softwares.

Dual core is a definite requirement at these low clock rate chips for 1080p playback, no matter the marketing spiel.

1080p is not really much of a benchmark if that video is low bitrate crap like YouTube. None of these small PCs seem to mention [I]what bitrate they can handle[/I].

The MK808 I have been using that has the RK3066 has played everything I have thrown at it without a stutter. That includes a 27gb MKV file that has a very high bit rate. It does not have the capability to decode DD or DTS audio which might push it past it limits. It also streams HD video from Netflix with no trouble. Heck, it even has great wireless connection even though the router is in our basement and the MK808 is connected to a TV on the second floor.

If they would put the RK3066 in this box I would buy one in a minute since it has great output options like S/PDIF audio.

[QUOTE=UTR;2681244]The MK808 I have been using that has the RK3066 has played everything I have thrown at it without a stutter. That includes a 27gb MKV file that has a very high bit rate. It does not have the capability to decode DD or DTS audio which might push it past it limits. It also streams HD video from Netflix with no trouble. Heck, it even has great wireless connection even though the router is in our basement and the MK808 is connected to a TV on the second floor.

If they would put the RK3066 in this box I would buy one in a minute since it has great output options like S/PDIF audio.[/QUOTE]

Some softwares use the 1080p hardware playback capabilities of the Mali Chips … XBMC is not currently there yet, although hardware decoding of H264 is supported and works flawlessly for 720p. Somehow XBMC can’t quite handle 1080p … although other video software can … might be something to do with buffering …

When I have multiple torrents running in the background, the 1080p is sluggish on my quad core Asus tablet. Well, perhaps I shouldn’t complain… after all it wasn’t designed to torrent while watching 1080p.

BTW, I think you meant to say it uses 85% less power… a typical 3 - 4ghz quad core system at IDLE (& lite use, such as web browsing) uses about 60 - 70 watts of power… during active use that number easily multiples 2 -5x depending on what your doing-- such as overclocking, burning a blu ray, encoding video, running a server, gaming, etc.