Ghosting HDD

vbimport

:confused:

ok so i got a stupid question to ask…is it possible to clone an ide to a sata?
(try not to laugh at me too hard :sad:)

Yes it is, as long as you can either 1) attach both disks to the same system at the same time, or alternatively 2) make an “image” of the old drive to another storage location (e.g. on the network or on a USB drive) and then restore that “image” from the storage location to the new drive.

You will need harddrive cloning or “imaging” software, of course.

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2533572]Yes it is, as long as you can either 1) attach both disks to the same system at the same time, or alternatively 2) make an “image” of the old drive to another storage location (e.g. on the network or on a USB drive) and then restore that “image” from the storage location to the new drive.

You will need harddrive cloning or “imaging” software, of course.

Welcome to the forum! :)[/QUOTE]

I would go a step further and make sure your new motherboard from what it sounds like will be sata has the right drivers as you can’t just move a HDD from a older motherboard to new motherboard and expect it to work correctly because of the older drivers. So what the MODs is right but a little more info as to what prior motherboard was and the new motherboard is. Otherwise you will have to reinstall your O/S on the new sata HDD since the new motherboard will require it’s own driver and software.

I was assuming that the system would stay the same and only the disk would be swapped.

If you want to clone a disk from one computer to a whole new computer, there are many things that might prevent the cloned disk from booting properly. The main pitfall would be Windows Activation, if you are running Windows XP/Vista/7. If you have an OEM (i.e. pre-installed) version of Windows, you will not be able to re-activate Windows on a new computer. If you have a retail version of Windows, you might be able to (I haven’t tried).

[I]Thread moved to General Software.[/I]

Michael

IF you are moving a working Operating system drive from one Dell to another it will USUALLY work,
though you will likely have to download and install the appropriate drivers to get it to do so…

Some computers, for an example HP/Compaq will let you do so proveded that the computers in
question are similar.

Often on identical models from the same mfg it won’t ask for the product code.
IF it doesn’t ask? don’t worry about it.

On my Fujitsu ST-Series tablet computer even moving the OS to a new physical HDD
(say like when you are upgrading your HDD? and then installing that “Cloned copy” back
into the computer the OS came from it will ask you to “Reactivate” windows.
(entering the product code on the CoA)

“Recent hardware changes make it necissary for you to reactive windows”

You enter the product code…If this works you have nothing to worry about.

If it doesn’t there are other things you can do…

AD