Ghost 2002 - Is this how to use it?

I have Win98 SE, a CD-Rewriter as Drive F and Ghost 2002, which I have used hitherto to clone my hard drive onto CD-R’s. I now believe I have not been doing this properly. I used to do this in Windows, by clicking on the Ghost DOS shortcut, ignoring the question do I want to create a bootable floppy, when Ghost then
created the CD-R’s , but Symantec says this is not recommended. At all events, I now find that the CD-R’s, by this method, no longer always work. Some are shown by the integrity check to be corrupted.

I find this application highly intimidating, not least because of the Symantec Help which some guy here says is excellent, but I find impenetrable at the crucial points (I have 3 degrees, but have to reread it many times, and even then!!). Plain English is not a concept in my experience that Symantec embrace.

For certainty I now wish to make sure I will be doing the cloning properly, so I can restore if I get a drive again.

My burner is not supported by Symantec - a Memorex SixteenMAXX 1040 - but I do not believe this matters.

I have yet to use the following method, which on my interpretation of the Symantec, Radified and other stuff should do a clone the proper way.

As I understand it,

1. To create a clone of Drive C

a. I create in Drive A a DOS system disk, aka a bootable floppy, using the
first of the 3 options in the Boot Wizard - CD-R/RW, LPT and USB - in my
case, CD-R/RW

b. I use this floppy to restart the PC, and Ghost starts

c. When asked by Ghost if I wish to do so, I insert the bootable floppy I
have just created, the contents of which Ghost adds to the CD-R’s (the one
that is in Drive F)

d. Ghost creates however many CD’-R’s it takes to clone Drive C

1. To restore the CD-R’s (i.e. I have a dead Drive C):

I create a floppy using the third of the 3 options - CD-ROM boot disk. I
use this floppy to start the PC (only on a restore) and insert the CD-R’s as required.

Is this correct?

I hate to say it, cause this doesn’t help you with ghost, but Drive Image is so much simpler to use. In either case, I recommend writing your disc image to HD, (requires a separate partition or drive), then burning to CD. Sounds like you wish to make bootable CD’s, which is not required. If you run your imaging program from floppy you can restore the image from CD that way. But if you already have the image on HD, it’s 10 times faster that way. I use CD’s just as a secondary back-up to the HD images.

Thank you for your reply.

You say “Sounds like you wish to make bootable CD’s, which is not required”, in which case I would be grateful if you would comment on the following.

The whole tenor of the Ghost operation is that you must use a bootable floppy. The following is an extract from an article:

"Making boot disks for writing to a CD-R/RW drive
To save an image file directly to a CD-R/RW drive, Ghost requires that you run Ghost in DOS. Depending on your Ghost version, you can run Ghost in DOS by starting the computer from a bootable floppy disk, or by starting Ghost in Windows.

In Norton Ghost 2002 and earlier, and in Symantec Ghost 7.5 and earlier, Ghost requires one or two floppy disks, depending on whether you want to make the CD-R/RW disc bootable.
The first floppy disk is a bootable floppy disk that has the Ghost files on it. Use this disk to start the computer when you want to save an image file directly to a CD-R/RW drive. Note that the floppy disk does not load CD-R/RW driver files.
The second floppy disk is used only when you want to make the CD-R/RW disc bootable. The second floppy disk is not used to boot the computer. Instead, it is used to store the CD-R/RW driver files that will be needed later to make the CD-R/RW disc bootable. While creating an image file and saving it to the CD-R/RW drive, Ghost will prompt for the location of the appropriate CD-R/RW driver files. When prompted, insert the second floppy disk. Ghost will copy the CD-R/RW driver files from the second floppy disk to the CD-R/RW disc. To create this second floppy disk, choose “CD-ROM Boot Disk” in Ghost Boot Wizard.

Norton Ghost 2003 does not require a boot disk. You can start Ghost from Windows by choosing the options Ghost Basic and then Backup. If you choose to use a boot disk, use the Standard Ghost Boot Disk that you create in Ghost Boot Wizard."

End

My comment is that Drive Image is much easier to use. sorry i can’t be more helpfull.
With Drive Image, you just boot to the program floppy and you already have CD support, you can restore or write the image, (whether from CD or HD), from there. No imaging program can run from windows and image the system partition, got to be from DOS. Although, Drive Image is automated, so you set the whole thing up in a Windows interface and the program reboots, runs the image, and reboots back to Windows again. You don’t even have to be there, it can be scheduled.

Ghost 2000, 2001 and 2002 didn’t have too many differences between them, other than the occasional bug fix or adding Windows XP to the mix.

Ghost 2003 is much better. I’d place it above Drive Image now and it can anything, including backing up your hard drive to a USB hard drive from DOS! Yep, DOS USB drivers.

The interface is a lot easier to use now and you don’t need the boot floppy anymore except for disaster recovery. You can run Ghost on a PC with Win2K/XP and back it up without the need for a floppy. It reboots and runs it for you now. 'Very slick.

Robert

Originally posted by valnar
Yep, DOS USB drivers.

Err actually Dos has not anything to do with it. The program executes in Dos , but doesn’t do anything with it. It’s not like it uses Dos drivers , it has internal communications with the USB ports.