Gh82n

vbimport

I have a SATA DVD-RW drive that identifies itself as " hp DVD-RAM GH82N" with firmware “R204”.

I have attached image capture of the the Nero InfoTool 4.03 window showing the drive’s details (with serial number removed).

I am looking for firmware for firmware, but I have not been able to find firmware for this drive.

Should this drive be able to be crossflashed successfully to something else?

Is there firmware available for the drive?

The GH82N should be a GH80N I think … which is a Renesas chipset based drive, but to be absolutely sure, please dump both the main and the core firmware of your drive using DevilsClaw’s Flasher, and post a link here. I’ll have a look and check against the GH80N for which I have a firmware available and if they have the same core, then we know they are one and the same drive …

Speaking by the GH80N, according to the SATA Integrators List, the GH80N is basically a GH24NS70, and yes a crossflash should be doable, if as I suspect your drive is indeed a GH80N …

[QUOTE=cvs;2673897]The GH82N should be a GH80N I think … which is a Renesas chipset based drive, but to be absolutely sure, please dump both the main and the core firmware of your drive using DevilsClaw’s Flasher, and post a link here. I’ll have a look and check against the GH80N for which I have a firmware available and if they have the same core, then we know they are one and the same drive …

Speaking by the GH80N, according to the SATA Integrators List, the GH80N is basically a GH24NS70, and yes a crossflash should be doable, if as I suspect your drive is indeed a GH80N …[/QUOTE]I tried using the Win32 version of Devilsclaw’s LG Renesas Drive Utility (file date 10/25/2010 1143PM, but the firmware, neither core nor main, would not dump.

[QUOTE=Ascii2;2673904]I tried using the Win32 version of Devilsclaw’s LG Renesas Drive Utility (file date 10/25/2010 1143PM, but the firmware, neither core nor main, would not dump.[/QUOTE]

What error message are you getting? Can you do a copy/paste of the command window or take a screenshot?

Please read here carefully.

[QUOTE=cvs;2673925]What error message are you getting? Can you do a copy/paste of the command window or take a screenshot?[/QUOTE]I have attached an image capture of the command window showing the attempt to dump the GH82N firmware.

You’re doing everything correctly, but unfortunately as 2601 said, it turns out that Flasher doesn’t support these drives, and it seems that unlike previous models LG has also taken the rather unusual step to use different hardware between some of these models, so a crossflash is not possible.

Even if Flasher would support this drive, you would need to open the drive to find out exactly to which model it belongs to before attempting a crossflash, so things are a bit more complicated with this family of drives… and on top of that Flasher doesn’t work with them either…

Unfortunately, for the time being it looks like you’re stuck with the current firmware until HP releases a firmware update (if they ever do), or more information comes to light about which exact model these drives are and someone comes up with a method allowing a crossflash…

Based on LG’s behaviour mentioned by 2601 in relation to these drives, it is also possible that these drives might intentionally use a different hardware than the rest of the NS70 family, in which case a crossflash would be impossible.

[QUOTE=Ascii2;2674064]I have attached an image capture of the command window showing the attempt to dump the GH82N firmware.[/QUOTE]

Same result as GH24NS70.

Although other method(s) can complete crossflashing, you are warned not to do before you can verify your Drive has the same tray’s PCB. Since crossflashing with different tray’s command firmware, your Drive will be bricked and not to recognise any disc, even you can flash back with the original firmware.

[QUOTE=2601;2674080]Although other method(s) can complete crossflashing[/QUOTE]Are these methods documented. I am curious to see what are the moethods (though I might not use them).

[QUOTE=2601;2674080]Since crossflashing with different tray’s command firmware, your Drive will be bricked and not to recognise any disc, even you can flash back with the original firmware.[/QUOTE]This seems odd. I would have thought that flashing the original firmware to the drive after an initial crossflash should restore original function.

[QUOTE=cvs;2674079]Unfortunately, for the time being it looks like you’re stuck with the current firmware until HP releases a firmware update (if they ever do)…[/QUOTE]This is unfortunate. I was hoping to at least be able to dump the firmware and try to patch it with MediaCodeSpeedEdit to RPC1 (preferably) or to auto-reset region before using any DVD (before a region is set).

[QUOTE=Ascii2;2674103]Are these methods documented. I am curious to see what are the moethods (though I might not use them)…[/QUOTE]

One of the method is to get the drive into safe mode. Please read #1336 of here.

This seems odd. I would have thought that flashing the original firmware to the drive after an initial crossflash should restore original function

I know some people still own their bricked Drives here and other forum.

Thanks for the assistance. So for now I shall just wait.