GH24 Inferior burns or other problem?

vbimport

Hello frnds,

I have two burners, New LG GH24 & old Sony 830A.

I use same file with exact same media written with same software under same conditions…

Now, with DVD burned with Sony i am getting Quality score of 77 and fairly low PIF… whereas when burned with LG getting score of 0 & very high PIF.

So what shall i conclude frm this, tht LG burns are inferior ?

LG
](http://img211.imageshack.us/i/ghajinilgtest.png/)[/IMG]

Sony
](http://img545.imageshack.us/i/ghajinisonytest.png/)[/IMG]

The LG has no real support for those average DL media…

The media that you are using is a crap shoot from disc to disc. Get you some verbatims for dl burning.

hmmm… okay the media maybe crap but using for the past 3years never got a single dead disk, all still working great…

Next, all disk i burned is having high scores and very low PIF, But only when i burn with this LG burner i am getting poor performance so i really believe tht burner is in question here… wht u say now?

I am really thinking abt selling this drive and buying another sony/samsung drive…

PS: I am not getting to the firmware page frm LG website, so if you guys know if i am using the latest firmware and if not, pls post the link frm where i can download… (official site)

[QUOTE=craige4u;2573757]Next, all disk i burned is having high scores and very low PIF, But only when i burn with this LG burner i am getting poor performance so i really believe tht burner is in question here… wht u say now?[/quote]In the dark ages, when DVD burners weren’t that bad, there had been an issue reported with bad looking scans if the disc had been made with an LG drive. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the details.
Additionally, the scanning capabilities of the Sony firmware is unknown.

A transfer rate test might be better suited here. Also maybe a real world test and see if there are readability problems.

PS: I am not getting to the firmware page frm LG website, so if you guys know if i am using the latest firmware and if not, pls post the link frm where i can download… (official site)
Perhaps here: http://club.myce.com/f91/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210819/index4.html#post2546690
The last link directs to a search engine on LG Korea website.

Michael

Mciahel,

Thanks for the link, the last link is in korean so cant navigate it. but it seems XP02 is the latest firmware tht i am using.

Next, As you said there have been bad scan issues with LG which you cant remember… I refered to thread below

ppl seems to be getting gud results… so now i am confused.

PS: What u think of Samsung S223, a gud DL burner?

[QUOTE=craige4u;2573802]Thanks for the link, the last link is in korean so cant navigate it. [/quote]Works for me. No, I have no idea what these korean characters mean, either :slight_smile:

Next, As you said there have been bad scan issues with LG which you cant remember… I refered to thread below
http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-gh24ns-ls50-302269/

That’s not what I was thinking of.

ppl seems to be getting gud results…
With the same media and write speed? I had the impression this drive slaughtered more than one top notch MCC004.

PS: What u think of Samsung S223, a gud DL burner?
I do not want to comment these drives. We have several “Results and Discussions” threads there.

Michael

Buddy, by [B]" I had the impression this drive slaughtered more than one top notch MCC004"[/B] what you mean by that.

In the Results and Discussions thread about these drive, there were many really ugly scans shown for Verbatim DVD+R (MCC004). Such shouldn’t happen with good media.

Michael

i just burned same content as above to a Sony Single layer DVD, here is the scan… doesnt look much good, whts ur take.

](http://img189.imageshack.us/i/lgtestghajinidvd5.png/)[/IMG]

Ugly.
Do a transfer rate test (Benchmark tab in CD/DVD Speed). With both drives.

Michael

There’s a reason why I got rid of my 24NS50: it CANNOT even burn MCC004 well at 16x compared to other drives on the market. LG seemed to have taken a step backwards compared with their previous 20x drives.

As for Samsung, I’d prefer the SH-S243. There were about 10 variations of the S223’s and perhaps only the “first” drive from the series, S223F, was good, the later ones seem to have dropped off in quality.

Okay here are the Benchmark tests.

[B]Sony[/B]

[B]LG[/B]

And two out of three times when scanning with LG drive, i got Error (See last line)

You guys think tht i should get rid of these drive? If yes, which can be better Asus 24x or Samsung 22x (these r the only two available here)

Asus 24x :slight_smile:

This Sony 880A is made by whom - Liteon OR samsung ?

Sry got double post…

There is no 880A, perhaps you meant 880S. My guess it’s an Optiarc AD-7260S.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2573798]In the dark ages, when DVD burners weren’t that bad,[/QUOTE]

So Liteon and Asus drives scratch disks (from what I read here), Nec/Optiarc drives have strange disappearing issues (not reporting in windows at all), LG drives have poor burn qualities, and I don’t know anything about the Samsung.

So is there any drive out there that is of better quality than the average bunch? Are external drives better even though they may be a lot slower at burning and reading?

External drives are not better since they are the same hardware as internal drives.

Michael