GH22LS30 vs GH22NS30...chipset question!

Hi all :slight_smile:

As the tray on my Optiarc 5170S is getting a bit temperamental (keeps closing as I’m putting a disc in, and at some point I’m worried one of my discs will suffer), I’m looking to buy a new LG drive to replace it with - SATA, obviously.

Just seen both of these on SVP, and wondered if anyone could tell me which one of them (if any, LG model names confuse me now!) has a Renesas chipset, as opposed to Panasonic?

Both are in stock, the NS30 being a tad bit cheaper.

Thanks in advance :flower:

Hi,

if the firmware name convention (numbers only = Panasonic, Letters and numbers = Renesas) still applies, then both are with Panasonic chipset. They should be the same drives apart from the Lightscribe.

If you want Renesas, then look for GH-22NS40/GH-22LS40.

Michael

Aha! Told you I get confused with the new model names :slight_smile:

Thanks Michael, for the quick answer :flower:…now to see if either of the ones you mentioned are in stock :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2307390]…now to see if either of the ones you mentioned are in stock ;)[/QUOTE]I guess, vendors are confused also, so they advertise “GH22NS”, and you don’t know what you get.
Same with TSST drives.

Michael

Hehe, yeah…neither are in stock at the main two online stores I use, BTW :sad:

So I guess I’ll be trying out a Panny chipset one…I have two Renesas LGs sitting here so it’s not all bad. :slight_smile:

There’s also the NS/LS50 series out now, but not sure what chipset it has. Unfortunately, people have reported it having some sort of “Bluebirds” software, claimed to be an adware, in its firwmare, but can be disabled as found here.

Thanks, one to keep an eye on maybe :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, people have reported it having some sort of “Bluebirds” software, claimed to be an adware, in its firwmare, but can be disabled as found here.

Yikes, really? :eek:…interesting stuff, I’ll have a good read of the link.

[QUOTE=KTL;2307416]There’s also the NS/LS50 series out now, but not sure what chipset it has. Unfortunately, people have reported it having some sort of “Bluebirds” software, claimed to be an adware, in its firwmare, but can be disabled as found here.[/QUOTE]
The GH22NS50 uses a Renesas chipset. The firmware has an imbedded cd image that appears when no real disk is inserted. This virtual cd supplies the Bluebirds installer, which is a simple burn tool.

Nice one ala42, thanks for the info. My local PC store tends to stock mainly LG drives (though none of the ones already mentioned to my knowledge), so perhaps they’ll get that one in stock.

I think I can hang on to the Optiarc til then. :wink:

Thanks for the info ala42, yet allegedly, LG has no clue how it got into the firmware, may be it was a disgruntled employee.

[QUOTE=KTL;2307486]yet allegedly, LG has no clue how it got into the firmware, may be it was a disgruntled employee.[/QUOTE]
This is a burning tool made by LG having LG copyright notices in various languages. The mechanism to activate the cd image was added officially by LG without any doubt and it is a new firmware feature not available in previous firmwares. You can not overlook the disk icon, so there is no way “a disgruntled employee” could have added this tool without development and test department knowing about it. Just dump this rumor.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2307390]Aha! Told you I get confused with the new model names :slight_smile:

Thanks Michael, for the quick answer :flower:…now to see if either of the ones you mentioned are in stock ;)[/QUOTE]

Not very confusing,

GH22LS30 = lightscribe & sata
GH22NS30 = no lightscribe & sata
GH22LP30 = lightscribe & IDE
GH22NP30 = no lightscribe & IDE

and all this are in theory because lg love to change the last numbers, hust to confuse us:bigsmile:.

[QUOTE=vroom;2307626]Not very confusing,

GH22LS30 = lightscribe & sata
GH22NS30 = no lightscribe & sata
GH22LP30 = lightscribe & IDE
GH22NP30 = no lightscribe & IDE

and all this are in theory because lg love to change the last numbers, hust to confuse us:bigsmile:.[/QUOTE]

Still hard to remember off the top of your head (remember, I’m easily confused to start with :bigsmile: ).

So I’ll agree with your last sentence :bigsmile:

Dont worry Kitty you are not the only one, and btw i am tempted to get one of this drives with a panasonic chipset, i must be the only one that has a laptop with an non Matsushita (or what ever they are named) drive :(.

[QUOTE=vroom;2307662]i must be the only one that has a laptop with an non Matsushita (or what ever they are named) drive :(.[/QUOTE]No, you are not :smiley:

Mich- TSSTcorp TS-L632H -ael

[QUOTE=KTL;2307486]Thanks for the info ala42, yet allegedly, LG has no clue how it got into the firmware, may be it was a disgruntled employee.[/QUOTE]

drives are made in different country, no one probably send them a memo

[QUOTE=vroom;2307662]Dont worry Kitty you are not the only one, and btw i am tempted to get one of this drives with a panasonic chipset, i must be the only one that has a laptop with an non Matsushita (or what ever they are named) drive :(.[/QUOTE]

Cool :D…I’m just sitting around waiting for my local PC store (who, as I said, stock mainly LG anyway) gets either the Panny or Renesas ones mentioned in this thread in stock. I might have a long wait though haha :slight_smile:

Oh BTW. My step-dad has a TSST-something drive in his Tosh Satellite lappy. I’d count yourself lucky you don’t have a Matshita drive in your lappy. :wink:

lucky in the laptop part, but very unlucky at other things, no more ice tea:sad:.

/me foresees Kitty doing exclusively 22x burns on media that shouldn’t be written at 22x in the near future. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=vroom;2307662][…] i must be the only one that has a laptop with an non Matsushita (or what ever they are named) drive :(.[/QUOTE]Don’t let my scans fool you; the Matshitas are not what they seem to be. :disagree: :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Albert;2308193]/me foresees Kitty doing exclusively 22x burns on media that shouldn’t be written at 22x in the near future. :bigsmile:

Don’t let my scans fool you; the Matshitas are not what they seem to be. :disagree: :p[/QUOTE]

Ok Albert;), but as pepst is having issues with crappy media, i am having some issues with crappy burners, starting with the 4570 :bigsmile:.