GH20NS15 sata + XP Sp2 = Problems

vbimport

Hey guys, Im having a problem with this drive I just bought replacing my Pioneer dvr108d. When I install the thing and boot the comp, when it gets to the Win XP logo, stays in the back kinda faded, never fully appearing, and it just stays there. When I remove the drive, the comp starts just fine.

I just have 2 serial ata ports on my mobo (MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR) and I swapped the hdd and the drive just to see if it helped but no. The damn thing wont start no matter what if the drive is connected.

comp stats:

Barton 2500+
MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
1GB ram ddr400
Hdd Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120Gb

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :iagree:

Hi and Welcome,

this mainboard has an old Promise controller, that does not very well with optical Sata drives.
I’d suggest to install a Silicon Image 3x12 or 3x14 based Sata controller card with non-Raid Bios (“Base Bios”) applied.

Michael

Is there anything else other than to buy a controller card? Those have a pretty steep price down here… It aint worth next to what I’ve paid for the drive…

Thanks for the advice.

Hmmm.

I paid 11 Euro for my controller card - a DVD burner costs about 30 Euro here.

Your other option would just be to return the burner and get one with the Pata interface.

Michael

I tried that already and guess what? They said no.

I paid 27 US Dollars for the driver and one could get the controller card for about 35-40 USD.

Thanks for the help.

[QUOTE=Mugabi;2091966]
I paid 27 US Dollars for the driver and one could get the controller card for about 35-40 USD.[/quote]Ouch! :eek: Where are you located? If in US, this card would do fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020 (20 USD)

Thanks for the help.
You’re welcome!

Michael

Argentina. And havent found any decent price in the last 12 Hrs I spent searching…

I wonder, had my old mobo never died on me, I could use this without a problem, since the Asus A7N8X Dlx 2.0 used a Silicon Image driver, right?

Tell me, if I just play with the nforce drivers, do I have a chance to make this work? it is possible to force the old Silicon Image 3114 driver I used on this mobo? I’d hate to have to shove this drive up my rear end… Too many pointy corners :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi,[QUOTE=Mugabi;2091993]Argentina. And havent found any decent price in the last 12 Hrs I spent searching…[/quote]That’s bad :frowning:

I wonder, had my old mobo never died on me, I could use this without a problem, since the Asus A7N8X Dlx 2.0 used a Silicon Image driver, right?
This mainboard had a Silicon Image 3112A onboard, indeed. But unfortunately, these onboard versions were different from the PCI add-on cards mostly only supporting Raid, which is what you don’t want with optical drives. I found a document on Samsung ODD website about Sata DVD burner support, and mostly these 3112 variants weren’t considered compatible with optical drives.

Tell me, if I just play with the nforce drivers, do I have a chance to make this work?
Since your Sata connection is provided by the Promise controller, Nforce drivers won’t have any effect. But It is still a good idea to have the latest drivers installed apart from the IDE drivers - Windows built-in drivers are more stable.
There is one chance to get the Promise working with your drive:
What options are present in Bios for this controller? I do have a Promise PDC20579, and I am offered “Disabled/Sata/Raid”. With the Sata setting, I got my Samsung SH-S203B working.

it is possible to force the old Silicon Image 3114 driver I used on this mobo?
No. The chip is soldered onto the mainboard, and the controller Bios is part of the mainboard Bios.
And of course, the 311x drivers from SiI won’t work without corresponding hardware.

Michael

Well, I guess that one chance is better than none at all…

Thanks a million.