GH20LS10 (SATA) only works in PIO

Hi!

I have a major problem with this drive:
LG GH20LS10 - SATA SuperMulti
Specs

Connected to this motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3 - nForce 560 chipset
Specs

The mentioned drive is only working in PIO mode. While it switches to UDMA5 after uninstalling the IDE controller, the system freezes as soon as I put any disc in it. The Event viewer shows multiple ID9 atapi errors (didn’t respond in time), and it switches back to PIO.

The motherboard offers SATA2, and the HDD works fine with it (in UDMA6 mode). The discs can be read in PIO mode, but burning isn’t possible. I thought that lowering the access mode to UDMA2 will help (through registry hack “MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed”), but it didn’t. The BIOS is the newest one, and I didn’t find any option to force the lower data rate. Also, I didn’t find new firmware for the burner. Switching to different SATA ports (HDD & burner) didn’t help.

Anyone know what to do to fix the issue? Thanks for reading!

Have you set the SATA controller work in IDE mode in BIOS?

[QUOTE=Skylon;1967439]Have you set the SATA controller work in IDE mode in BIOS?[/QUOTE]I think so, yes.

I have the same drive and have had issues with it so far… I’m dedicated a few hours today to try to fix it.

1. It doesnt like Ritek Inkjet Printable Media and will not burn them with Nero
  2. Burning Verbatim -R at 1x but are detected as 20x

I have 3 SATA Hard Drives + this SATA Drive. I havn’t been pleased thus far but im not giving up hope yet. And there are no firmware updates yet… FL00 is the latest

[QUOTE=Mendes;1968379]I have the same drive and have had issues with it so far… I’m dedicated a few hours today to try to fix it.

1. [B]It doesnt like Ritek Inkjet Printable Media and will not burn them with Nero[/B]
  2. Burning Verbatim -R at 1x but are detected as 20x

I have 3 SATA Hard Drives + this SATA Drive. I havn’t been pleased thus far but im not giving up hope yet. And there are no firmware updates yet… FL00 is the latest[/QUOTE]

This is el cheapo media, not reliable for using.

[QUOTE=Mendes;1968379]I have the same drive and have had issues with it so far… I’m dedicated a few hours today to try to fix it.[/QUOTE]Do you have those timeout reports sitting in the event viewer? Does your drive reads CDs/DVDs in UDMA mode? And could you also post the motherboard model?

Right now, I have no idea if it’s the compatibility issue (well, it works in PIO, right?), or the speed issue (not sure again, but I’d like to somehow force the 1.5Gb/s SATA mode instead of SATA2). Do those even make sense? If the drive works correctly in PIO mode, is it possible that the DMA mode would be messed up by compatibility/speed issues?

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe Motherboard. Have upgraded to the latest firmware available - 1018 002 Beta. I have managed to get the drive to be recognised by placing it on the main SATA connectors. The two extra SATA ports used for RAID would not recognise the drive at all (yes I have the BIOS set to IDE mode for the RAID controller for those two ports).

I have managed to get the lightscribe to work - after much screwing around with Nero - involving a complete uninstall of Nero 7 Ultra which I own, and re-installing the “Nero Essentials” that came with the drive. I have now upgraded THAT installation to Ultra and have upgraded the LightScribe base software using the utililty, and am now about to attempt another Lightscribe to see if that is still working.

However, I am still experiencing system lock ups when I place blank media in the drive. Doesn’t matter if it is CD-R or DVD-R. When I start Nero first and attempt the burn with nothing in the drive, it thinks it already has a CD-R in the drive and opens the tray asking for a disk. I place a DVD-R in, and it promptly spits it out and asks for a disk.

What a headache.

I’m going to retest it all again now with all my latest upgrades. This is quite possibly the worst piece of hardware I have ever owned (other than my soundblaster card back in the 80’s which had manual IRQ sttings).

I hope they firmware upgrade this thing FAST.

(Oh… running Windows Vista Ultimate edition as well. Which only adds to the frustration since it is the worst operating system known to man.)

I am using Ritek very cheap DL+ media with it to back up some games.Isn’t the best burn I have seen but they play back fine. I burn also Verbs at 20x (I prefer 12x-16x) and I haven’t got less than 95% quality rating scaning with both my LiteOn and 203B. I have 20NS10 not LS.

@sverkalo,
which MID does that Ritek DLs have, “S04” maybe?

So it’s only me with that “unable to function in DMA mode” issue?

I gave up on this burner and went with another 112D. it very well could have been my system as i have 3 SATA hard drives on it and it just didnt want a 4th sata device. All my drivers and firmwares were up to date. I just didnt want to fiddle with it too much.

I gave up a 212 for 62N which I rest for this one which I like it as much as 62.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R DL
Book Type : DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: : Ritek
MID : RITEK D01 001 (01h)
Write speeds: : 2.4 X
Blank Capacity : n/a
Extended Information
Layers : 2
Layer break : 3.73 GB
Write strategies : n/a
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - 01 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 FC FF FF 00 20 D1 8F - …2…
0010 - 00 00 00 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 44 30 31 01 40 - …RITEK…D01.@
0020 - 25 25 37 0C 00 28 64 00 28 64 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 - %%7…(d.(d…
0030 - 02 01 01 20 00 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 02 01 01 20 00 - …

Ah, thanks. :flower:

Hi,[QUOTE=MarkToronto;1973949]I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe Motherboard. Have upgraded to the latest firmware available - 1018 002 Beta. I have managed to get the drive to be recognised by placing it on the main SATA connectors. The two extra SATA ports used for RAID would not recognise the drive at all [/QUOTE]The VIA SATA controller and also the onboard Promise controller don’t support SATA optical drives well. I would strongly recommend installing a PCI SATA controller card with Silicon Image 3112 or 3512 chipset (Raid enabled cards have to be flashed to non-RAID BIOS) for your burner.

Michael