GH10L & GH10N firmware

vbimport

Hello,

I have a GH10L with lightscribe support that was inadvertently flash to a GH10N firmware update …EV03

GH10N appears a similar drive without lightscribe support … unsure how the drives differ … must use similar chipsets …

(trying to install the original GH10L firmware with lightscribe support.)

found one HP\Compaq GH10L update, sp37493.exe, FC0B, for Windows Vista, will not update under Windows XP … may be machine and os specific, updates other software …

Welcome to the forums nebulabn.

Since you have a very specific problem, and it is entirely about an LG drive, I think you will get better answers in the LG subforum. So I’m going to move your thread there.

Merry Xmas!

How did you managed to flash it with the GH10N firmware in the first place? The GH10N flasher should not have allowed that to happen!

What was your original firmware before flashing?

GH10L and GH10N are basically the same drive, but GH10L has some additional hardware components which add support for LightScribe.

Even if the firmware is for the same drive model, you can’t normally just flash a drive with a firmware from a different OEM. The flashers normally check if the models are the same, then if the OEM firmwares match, and only if the answers to both of those checks are yes, they’ll allow flashing to proceed.

In your case, since the drive is a GT10N now, the HP flasher detects the drive model mismatch and refuses to flash your drive. There are ways around this, but before we go there, its important to know what you’ve done in the first place to flash your drive with a GT10N firmware …

Multiple updates were previously downloaded from the Lenovo / IBM web site, stored on a hard drive in order to update a Thinkcentre … one of the updates was for the CD DVD Drive

I think what happened when the user went to install the updates at a later time … did not know the drive had been swapped out for the newer drive … when the update executed it showed only the revision number such as EV02 (or something similar) and appeared to them to be a lower revision number than the update revision number EV03 … the update software only showed the revision numbers, and asked if the user wanted to update to a later revision … apparently the update software did not not check for a model number or it would not have asked the user if it wanted to proceed with the update.

The model number appears to be embedded into the ROM … the drive now shows it to be a GH10N revision EV03 … instead of GH10L revision EV02 (unsure of the exact revision number but appeared to the user as a lower revision)

OK, if you really want to have Lightscribe back then you’ll have to crossflash your drive with the HP firmware, since that’s the only GH10L firmware available as far as I can tell. The downside would be the fact that the GH10L firmware is quite old (21 Apr 2008), so let’s try to do better than that …

Now, bearing in mind that GH10L is in fact an OEM version of the retail LG drive GH20LS10, you can also crossflash it to the latest FL01 firmware for GH20LS10, but that firmware is also quite old (14 Feb 2008).

Furthermore, we know that GH20LS10 drives share the same hardware as GH20LS15 drives, and their own OEM counterparts GH15L drives. Now things start being more interesting. The latest GH20LS15 firmware is dated 30 Apr 2008, so is not much newer than the others, but HP has released firmware FD6E for GH15L which is dated 12 Mar 2009, so 1 year newer than the others …

Now, just to spoil you for even more choice, if you don’t care about Lightscribe, and you’re happy to stick with a GH10N firmware, there’s a NEC OEM firmware out (EF08) dated 23 Feb 2010!

GH10N      EF08 Feb 23 2010
GH15L      FD6E Mar 12 2009
GH20LS15   JL00 Apr 30 2008
GH10L      FC0B Apr 21 2008
GH20LS10   FL01 Feb 14 2008

You could crossflash your drive to any of the above depending on what you want.

The easiest way to crossflash would be to put the drive in safe mode and then flash it with any of the firmwares above.

First put the drive into safe mode:

• power off your PC
  • press the eject button of your drive and keep it pressed
  • power on your PC
  • wait 10 seconds
  • release the eject button

When the drive is in safe mode it will identify in Windows with a different drive ID (something like HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH12L COR0). Once the drive is in safe mode it should allow you to flash it with any of the firmwares named above.

An alternative way of flashing (a bit more complicated) is to use DevilsClaw’s Flasher program http://sourceforge.net/projects/flasher/files/current_stable/. First you would need to extract the main firmware from the LG *.exe firmware update program (with the -r command) and then flash it to your drive using Flasher.

Hello, thanks for the reply …

safe mode … i take this to mean , placing the OS, Windows XP into safe mode?

I will consider the alternatives you have provided … The date on the drive label is from 2009 … …

The latest update i found from the firmwarehq.com site shows the currently installed update for the

GH10N … EV03 11th March, 2008 appears to be the same update on the Lenovo web site (listed as an update for a Thinkcentre computer.)

http://www.firmwarehq.com/LG/GH10N/files.html

Do you have a link to another site with other revisions?

With this update for the GH10N the GH10L seems to function ok, however, after trying to burn to an old blank CD with scratches the drive started wirrring and did not stop until after i powered down the computer … perhaps it did not like the cd … I will first find some new cds and DVDs and make sure everything is burning ok …

Apparently there is no documentation provided with the firmware revisions making decisions to update seems to be more problematic … as there also appears there is no method provided to revert back to the previous firmware … software drivers as well as hardware bios revision usually have methods to revert to a previous or alternative code / driver … such as saving the old bios / firmware… not sure why this is so for these CD/DVD drives …

Ok, i see what you mean by Safe Mode … the drive itself is put into a safe mode … after pushing the buttons, the device ID is recognized by the operating system …

Perhaps there is a hardware and/or coding reason … is this unique for LG drives ? … i think it would be much less difficult to save the previous bios that could then be reflashed in case something goes wrong, not compatible, etc. this is standard practice for some types of hardware and peripherals.

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2565979]
safe mode … i take this to mean , placing the OS, Windows XP into safe mode?[/QUOTE]

No, its nothing to do with Windows’ Safe Mode … you don’t need to use safe mode in windows … you only need to put the drive into its ‘safe mode’ … based on your later reply I guess you understood what I meant, but I though I should clarify it nevertheless …

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2565979]The date on the drive label is from 2009 … …

The latest update i found from the firmwarehq.com site shows the currently installed update for the GH10N … EV03 11th March, 2008 appears to be the same update on the Lenovo web site (listed as an update for a Thinkcentre computer.)[/QUOTE]

The EV03 firmware is a Fujitsu OEM firmware, not Lenovo/IBM …

The EF08 firmware is also a Fujitsu OEM one (not NEC OEM as I wrongly stated in my previous post :o).

http://www.firmwarehq.com/LG/GH10N/files.html

Do you have a link to another site with other revisions?[/QUOTE]

Other sources of firmwares are the RPC1 database (http://files.rpc1.org/) and the firmware announcement threads here and at RPC1.org

Regarding other firmwares for GH10N/L and GH15L there aren’t any other out there except those I already mentioned + the EV03 one.

With this update for the GH10N the GH10L seems to function ok, however, after trying to burn to an old blank CD with scratches the drive started wirrring and did not stop until after i powered down the computer … perhaps it did not like the cd … I will first find some new cds and DVDs and make sure everything is burning ok …[/QUOTE]

It should work OK, as the hardware of the two drives is identical (except the missing Lightscribe sensor in GT10N drives, but this has nothing to do with normal operation … its only used when writing Lightscribe discs) … I doubt the CD issue you had is firmware related …

Apparently there is no documentation provided with the firmware revisions making decisions to update seems to be more problematic … as there also appears there is no method provided to revert back to the previous firmware … software drivers as well as hardware bios revision usually have methods to revert to a previous or alternative code / driver … such as saving the old bios / firmware… not sure why this is so for these CD/DVD drives …[/QUOTE]

As your drive uses a Renesas chipset, you can use Flasher to dump the main and the core parts of the firmware already present in the drive. In your case though there’s no point in dumping the EV03 firmware since it already exists as a download anyway.

Most official flashers unfortunately don’t have the option of creating a backup of the current firmware before flashing the new one. In fact most official flashers won’t even let you to go back to an older firmware if they detect that the firmware already on the drive is newer.

Documentation provided with new firmware releases is typically quite scarce, and sometimes non-existent, but again, as a general rule newer is better … newer firmwares correct issues in older firmwares (bugfixes), add support for newer media, and improve support for already supported media (by tweaking the existing writing strategies stored in the firmwares). In the large majority of cases you would want the newest firmware available really.

You can use MCSE to give you some more information about the firmwares and the supported media in each. You can also use it to patch the firmware in various useful ways :wink:

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2565993]Ok, i see what you mean by Safe Mode … the drive itself is put into a safe mode … after pushing the buttons, the device ID is recognized by the operating system …

Perhaps there is a hardware and/or coding reason … is this unique for LG drives ? … i think it would be much less difficult to save the previous bios that could then be reflashed in case something goes wrong, not compatible, etc. this is standard practice for some types of hardware and peripherals.[/QUOTE]

Yes this method of putting the drive into ‘safe mode’ is unique to LG drives. Pretty much all drives have a safe mode, but the difference is you can’t put them in safe mode in this easy way … it needs to be done the hard way by sending some dedicated ASPI/SPTI commands to the drive instead.

Regarding the FW backup, see my previous post. Unfortunately for optical drives this is far from being standard practice. There are third party tools written by enthusiasts which allow the users to backup their firmware, but this depends on the manufacturer of the drive. It is doable for some LG drives (only those using a Renesas chipset) thanks to DevilsClaw, for most Matshita drives thanks to ala42, for most NEC/Sony Optiarc drives thanks to Liggy and for virtually all LiteOn drives thanks to C0deKing … but when it comes to drives from manufacturers such as Pioneer and Samsung - just to name the most striking examples - its been (so far) impossible to dump the onboard firmware because the commands to do so are unknown. This is a major pain in the backside, but such is life :frowning:

I tried all of the updates you suggested, plus the flasher software … none of them were able to update this particular OEM drive while in safe mode … appears the programming is able to recognize this drive in safe mode but unable to complete the update tasks involved …

HP’s OEM update software (which provides a brief description for each update, critical or recommended and for a particular os such as Vista and Windows 7) displays an error to the effect that the current system does not meet min. requirements.

The retail programming produced errors (two errors - i believe may have been access errors, forgot to write them down) … the update program just hung and wasn’t able to either initialize or complete the update.

The flasher software was able to see the device ID using the -D switch but was unable to dump any of the memory from the drive while in safe mode GH12N or when flashed to GH10N.

Safe Mode works for this drive … ID showed to be GH12L … (appears to have erased the main firmware memory leaving the core (COR O) memory intact … essentially disabling the drive’s functions, only the drive’s ID is available for processing)

From the behavior of the update softwares it appears that the programming is only able to read the device ID … something seems to be prohibiting it from accessing the entire device memory or perhaps where the main memory is stored for the firmware’s update.

The GH10N firmware (I remember being downloaded from Lenovo’s web site as an update for one of their Thinkcentre computers, uncertain whether the update software is written OEM specific for their OE drive? did not try any of the other GH10N updates found on other sites) … the updated firmware used EV0-00, has no problem flashing this drive to a GH10N either as a GH10L or while in safe mode … GH12L.

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2566126]I tried all of the updates you suggested, plus the flasher software … none of them were able to update this particular OEM drive while in safe mode … appears the programming is able to recognize this drive in safe mode but unable to complete the update tasks involved …
[/QUOTE]

OK, that is not normal … the process I described should work … or in the worst case scenario Flasher should work - at least it should dump your firmware without any problem! We need to know what the error messages are so we can see what’s wrong …

Also some details about your computer would be useful (which controller is your drive connected to, which drivers is your controller using and if the drive is set up in AHCI or IDE mode …

If its AHCI, this sometimes can cause problems…

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2566126]
HP’s OEM update software (which provides a brief description for each update, critical or recommended and for a particular os such as Vista and Windows 7) displays an error to the effect that the current system does not meet min. requirements.
[/QUOTE]

Right, that sounds like the LG update program has been compiled specifically for Vista/Seven and its not working in XP. In this case what you can do is to extract the main and the core part of the firmware with Flasher (option -r) and then flash the main firmware with Flasher. Flashing the core is not necessary.

The retail programming produced errors (two errors - i believe may have been access errors, forgot to write them down) … the update program just hung and wasn’t able to either initialize or complete the update.
[/QUOTE]

Again we need the exact error messages …

The flasher software was able to see the device ID using the -D switch but was unable to dump any of the memory from the drive while in safe mode GH12N or when flashed to GH10N.
[/QUOTE]

First, the drive doesn’t need to be in safe mode for Flasher to work.
Secondly, just to make sure, this is what you did, right?:

flasher -D

Assuming the drive ID was 1, then you attempted to dump the firmware using:

flasher -d 1 -m main_firmware.bin
flasher -d 1 -c core_firmware.bin

Try it again, with the drive in normal operation mode, and post the log here so we can see the error message.

Safe Mode works for this drive … ID showed to be GH12L … (appears to have erased the main firmware memory leaving the core (COR O) memory intact … essentially disabling the drive’s functions, only the drive’s ID is available for processing)
[/QUOTE]

Putting the drive in safe mode does not erase the main firmware. The main firmware is still there and once you reboot the machine the drive goes back to its usual self…

By the way, one important thing with LG drives: once you flash the firmware you need to power down completely (shot down rather than reboot, as a reboot doesn’t always cut the power to the drive completely, and this is necessary for the flash to succeed).

The GH10N firmware (I remember being downloaded from Lenovo’s web site as an update for one of their Thinkcentre computers, uncertain whether the update software is written OEM specific for their OE drive? did not try any of the other GH10N updates found on other sites) … the updated firmware used EV0-00, has no problem flashing this drive to a GH10N either as a GH10L or while in safe mode … GH12L.[/QUOTE]

Can you let me have a copy of this firmware please (you can upload it to mediafire.com) or post a link to it if you have it? I’ll have a look at it …

I suggest you try to dump your firmware with Flasher first and post the log here, along with some details about your computer (as requested above) and then we’ll take it from there…

Ok, will report back with some more details as soon as i am able …

(the computer connected to the GH10L currently does not have any internet access or a landline … … need to travel around ~10 miles in one direction between the desktop computer and public internet access using a laptop …may take a while longer to produce some test results … normally i use i-net access a few times a week or less, but will test the drive again today or tonight)

Hello,

Tried again the various bios firmware updates for this drive … with same results.

Haven’t yet tired extracting firmware from update and applying using flasher.exe

However, it appears flasher.exe is unable obtain complete bios access

Flasher.exe (while drive ID is GH10N and GH12L, there are no other CD drives installed on this system)

C:>flasher -d 1 -m main_firmware.bin
Devilsclaw’s LG Renesas Drive Utility
cmd_drive: Opening Drive: 1.
cmd_dumpmain: Starting dumping process
get_firminfo_drive: failed to get firmware info 1
cmd_dumpmain: failed to get firmware info

C:>flasher -d 1 -c core_firmware.bin
cmd_dumpcore: Starting dumping process
cmd_dumpcore: failed to get firmware info

=========

• Note also tried installing updates while in Windows XP safe mode …

HP updates for Vista and Windows 7, under XP sp3, report that os does not meet min. system requirements to apply software update …

One update (written for a GH40L) did produce some errors … essentially the update was unable to initialize the drive and just hung … required to be ended through the task manager.

GH40L-RB0E-HP.EXE produced “Please wait update in progress”

and some other errors … . unsure where these came from … an old version of Winbatch may have once been installed once on this system … currently there is no Winbatch installed … … there is no Drive W: … could not fined anything from the os related to these error messages … something in the update programming must have triggered it …

WBT - install.exe

Error: pft1a.trace
1258: Ole: Unknown name
On Line 315 of W:\Patches\IP\sp44462\install.wbt
WinBatch 32 2009B
WIL Version.: 6.09bib

OSArchitecture=obj.OSArchitecture

============

Retail update …

Failed to recognize CD/DVD drive and obtain bios information in order to perform the update to another version.

==================

Controller — information

Intel® ICH8 Serial ATA Storage Controller
primary and secondary ide channels set to
auto detection, DMA if available …

DVD drive information … while in safe mode …

IDE Channel : #2 - Master Drive
Manufacturer : HL-DT-ST
Model : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH12L
Revision : COR0
Serial ATA : Yes
Serial ATA version : 2.0
IORDY : Yes
LBA Mode : Yes
DMA Mode : Yes
TCQ Mode : No
NCQ Mode : No
CFA Power Mode : No
SCT Mode : No
NV Cache : No
Multiword DMA Mode : 2
PIO Mode : PIO 4
UDMA Mode max. : 5 (ATA-100)
UDMA Mode Enabled : 5 (ATA-100)
Rotation Control : CLV

CD-R Read : No
CD-RW Reading : No
DVD-Rom Reading : No
DVD-RAM Reading : No
DVD-R Reading : No
DVD-RW Reading : No
DVD+R Reading : No
DVD+RW Reading : No
DVD+R DL Reading : No
DVD BD Reading : No
DVD BD-RE Reading : No
DVD BD-R Reading : No
DVD BD-Rom Reading : No
DVD HD Reading : No

CD-R Writing : No
CD-RW Writing : No
DVD-RAM Writing : No
DVD-R Writing : No
DVD+R Writing : No
DVD-RW Writing : No
DVD+RW Writing : No
DVD+R DL Writing : No
DVD BD Writing : No
DVD BD-RE Writing : No
DVD BD-R Wrting : No
DVD HD Writing : No
DVD HD-RW Writing : No

SMART : No
DVD CSS : No
DVD CPRM : No
AACS : No
VCPS : No
Mount Rainier (MRW) : No
Buffer Underrun : No

Method 2 : No
CD-Audio Support : No
MultiSession or Photo-CD : No
Side Change Capable : No

Reading CD-Rom : 0x (0 KB/s)

Advices :
The symbol indicate : Approximate Information
The symbol indicate : Information may be inaccurate

Strange … there must be something interfering with both the official flashers and DevilsClaw’s Flasher on this system …

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2566570]
Flasher.exe (while drive ID is GH10N and GH12L, there are no other CD drives installed on this system)

C:>flasher -d 1 -m main_firmware.bin
cmd_dumpmain: Starting dumping process
cmd_dumpmain: failed to get firmware info

C:>flasher -d 1 -c core_firmware.bin
cmd_dumpcore: Starting dumping process
cmd_dumpcore: failed to get firmware info [/QUOTE]

I don’t know exactly what would produce that error message, I would suggest you ask DevilsClaw in the Flasher thread at RPC1.org: http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46137

That should give some idea about where the problem might be …

Also when you run the ‘flasher -D’ command, does that work?

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2566570]=========

• Note also tried installing updates while in Windows XP safe mode …

One update (written for a GH40L) did produce some errors … essentially the update was unable to initialize the drive and just hung … required to be ended through the task manager.

GH40L-RB0E-HP.EXE produced “Please wait update in progress”

and some other errors … . unsure where these came from … an old version of Winbatch may have once been installed once on this system … currently there is no Winbatch installed … … there is no Drive W: … could not fined anything from the os related to these error messages … something in the update programming must have triggered it …[/QUOTE]

OK, now I’m confused :confused:

Why are you trying to flash your GH10L drive with a GH40L firmware? The two drives are not the same! The two drives have different cores so any attempt to update the firmware with this one will be rejected by the drive …

Also, this error about a drive W: which doesn’t exist, implies there might be some problem somewhere … have you got (or had) any virtual drive software installed or any other software which would install such a thing? This sort of program is known to interfere with and create all sorts of issues … perhaps even a failed uninstallation which has left some unwanted stuff behind which is messing with the upper/lower filters (see this: http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/post-49438.html).

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2566570]==================

Controller — information

Intel® ICH8 Serial ATA Storage Controller
primary and secondary ide channels set to
auto detection, DMA if available …

DVD drive information … while in safe mode …

IDE Channel : #2 - Master Drive
Manufacturer : HL-DT-ST
Model : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH12L
Revision : COR0
Serial ATA : Yes
Serial ATA version : 2.0
IORDY : Yes
LBA Mode : Yes
DMA Mode : Yes
TCQ Mode : No
NCQ Mode : No
CFA Power Mode : No
SCT Mode : No
NV Cache : No
Multiword DMA Mode : 2
PIO Mode : PIO 4
UDMA Mode max. : 5 (ATA-100)
UDMA Mode Enabled : 5 (ATA-100)
[/QUOTE]

OK, that tells us that your drives are set up in IDE mode rather than AHCI … this is far less likely to create problems with Flashing programs, so the problem is probably not linked with this …

Also can you please upload a copy of the Lenovo firmware you mentioned in your earlier post, and a copy of the the GH10N firmware you’ve successfully flashed on your GH10L drive? I’ll have a look at them to see what’s going on …

Its strange that that one works but no others seem to be able to access the drive, and having a look at these firmwares might shed some light at what’s going on :confused:

One way to remove any possible computer related issue from the equation would be to try flashing the drive in another computer if you can …

I will have to double check the firmware versions for the GH10N and find the original one used . … appeared to be the same LG firmware update …

I found two older TC updates from 2006/7 for the GSA-10N and GSA-10L unsure what differences there are between GSA GH series … GSA appears to be an older drive predating the GH series ?

Also when you run the ‘flasher -D’ command, does that work?

Originally it worked just fine, however the first time a virtual scsi cd drive was installed … after removing it … -D worked again with only the GH10N installed …

sometime later after several reboots and trying to install the other firmware updates the flasher.exe -D command now fails … produces some of critical OS related error that the application must terminate … i saved the internal error log file … the other command line switches -c and - do not produce any errors …

I am not at the computer where the original TC updates are stored … the only updates i am able to find online are for the GSA-10N and GSA-10L drive.

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2566593]I will have to double check the firmware versions for the GH10N and find the original one used . … appeared to be the same LG firmware update …

I found two older TC updates from 2006/7 for the GSA-10N and GSA-10L unsure what differences there are between GSA GH series … GSA appears to be an older drive predating the GH series ?[/QUOTE]

Indeed, the GSA-H10x (desktop drives), GSA-T10x (laptop drives) and GT10x are all completely different drives, with the GSA-H10x/GSA-T10x series being far older than the current GT10x drives. They have different hardware and aside of the ‘similar’ model numbers they share nothing in common with the GT10x series … therefore never use any GSA firmwares on GT drives … you might end up killing your drive!

QUOTE=cvs;2565967
Now, just to spoil you for even more choice, if you don’t care about Lightscribe, and you’re happy to stick with a GH10N firmware, there’s a NEC OEM firmware out (EF08) dated 23 Feb 2010!

GH10N      EF08 Feb 23 2010
GH15L      FD6E Mar 12 2009
GH20LS15   JL00 Apr 30 2008
GH10L      FC0B Apr 21 2008
GH20LS10   FL01 Feb 14 2008

[/QUOTE]I might add these firmwares based on GH12L Core also:
GE20LU10 FE06 23-Oct-2008
GE20NU10 EE06 23-Oct-2008

:slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=nebulalbn;2566595]
Originally it worked just fine, [/QUOTE]Please check this:

1. Sata controller configured as “IDE” in Bios setup
  2. Use MS default drivers instead of Intel’s Sata/AHCI drivers.

Michael

[QUOTE=cvs;2566670]Indeed, the GSA-H10x (desktop drives), GSA-T10x (laptop drives) and GT10x are all completely different drives, with the GSA-H10x/GSA-T10x series being far older than the current GT10x drives. They have different hardware and aside of the ‘similar’ model numbers they share nothing in common with the GT10x series … therefore never use any GSA firmwares on GT drives … you might end up killing your drive![/QUOTE]

The original firmware update installed, appears to have been mixed in with the machine specific update files … is the …

GH10N EV03

this is the only update tried that has worked …

(two older updates for the GSA-10N and GSA-10L drives are able to recognize this drive and bios while in safe mode)

None of the other updates tried so far … have been to be able to recognize the drive’s bios … (while in safe or non-safe mode)

The flasher -D command now works without any operating system errors in either mode produces …

drive_inquiry: failed to inquiry drive info

AVAILABLE DRIVES AND IDs:
Drive ID: 1 Name: DVDRAM GH10N

Appears the device ID info can be gathered from the OS … leads me to believe something is blocking reading of the device bios information or other.

==============

… i appreciate all of the input …

Will look at some of the other updates mentioned … (does not appear any of the newer update softwares is able to initialize the drive and prepare it for an update … under the current os configuration)

… as you said … could be something with the computer’s hardware and/or operating system that is conflicting or an incompatibility

My experience in years past has been mostly with older Plextor SCSI optical drives … where most issues are with cabling, cable lengths, termination, placement of the drives, etc … …

the Sata hard and optical drives are much easier to install into the computer …