GGW-H20L PC freeze when playing HD-DVD

Hello All,

I happened across this forum when searching about my problem… Seems like a good place for HD drive knowledge!

Anyway. I’ve recently purchased the above combo drive from LG, installation was fine and got the latest firmware and PowerDVD software. All seems good and I played my first HD title (Die Hard 4 on blu-ray) without issue.

However when trying to play my first HD-DVD title (Bourne Ultimatum) I have two problems:

1. When the disc first loads, it comes up with a screen showing “Loading” and a little animated bar beneath making it look like something’s actually happening. But nothing ever does. There’s a “Cancel” button, so I just click on that and it takes me to the main menu. Not a big deal, but does anyone know what it’s trying to do?

2. More serious, after 20-60 mins or so (the time can vary) the screen freezes. It’s a complete system hang, neither mouse nor keyboard respond to any commands and I have to reboot. If I restart the movie and fast-forward to the point where it crashed before, it’s fine. It will play back without issue for another period of time.
    I’ve run CPU stress tests and played some fairly demanding games for much longer periods of time, so it doesn’t appear to be a hardware or heat problem.

I guess I need some more movies to play to gauge how serious the problem is, but does anyone have any pointers on where to look? Is it the drive, or PowerDVD or the OS?

Quick specs:

E6600 @ 2.4GHz
2GB RAM
Nvidia 8800 GTS
LG GGW-H20L
PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra (OEM came with the drive)
All software and drivers are up to date

Which version of PowerDVD is installed?

Hi, just a quick update. It seems reinstalling PowerDVD (Ultra) from the OEM disk supplied with the LG drive and then pulling down an update from Cyberlink did the trick.

If anyone else has the same problems, check that you’re running the 3516 verion of PowerDVD Ultra.

Thanks for the updates Dabbles.

But just to let you know, version 3516 of PowerDVD Ultra does not allow playback from your harddrive. :wink: The older versions (up to 3319a) do.

Hi All,

I am having the same problem, I also tried reinstalling the software that came with the drive(GGC-H20L). Nothing works, I have Powerdvd 7 & 8 and tried using them both.

With 7 the HD DVD loads and gives me error that my mouse will not work and blue screens.

With 8 all it does is load and do nothing, I read that is there are some files needed for v8 too work. I did that and still nothing works.

Thanks for the help!

What are the exact versions of 7 and 8 that you’re using? And what firmware are you using on the LG drive? Does this happen with all HD DVD’s? Are you able to play BD’s at all? Sorry for all the questions, but, we need more info.

(Hint: To get the exact version of PowerDVD, go to the about screen and click on your name. It’ll take you to the version information page)

[QUOTE=SamuriHL;2114400]What are the exact versions of 7 and 8 that you’re using? And what firmware are you using on the LG drive? Does this happen with all HD DVD’s? Are you able to play BD’s at all? Sorry for all the questions, but, we need more info.

(Hint: To get the exact version of PowerDVD, go to the about screen and click on your name. It’ll take you to the version information page)[/QUOTE]

I am using Ultra 8.01 for v8. I am also trying Windvd 9 plus and it blue screens with HD, but with blu ray, it seems to work fine. The strange thing is, it seems to only happen with I play Transformers??? When I try 300 or Anchorman…it plays fine?

Firmware on the drive is 1.03…

EDIT-right after I posted this, I tried too play 300…and windvd blue screened. man this is frustrating…

Thanks!

Can anyone help me out by reading some of my .dmp files? I can email a few to anyone that is willing?

That should give me a better idea as to why it keeps crashing, right?

Thanks!

Jason

WinDVD needs fixes, just try with vlc or powerdvd.

[QUOTE=chef;2115726]WinDVD needs fixes, just try with vlc or powerdvd.[/QUOTE]

Already have that version with Blu ray and HD DVD support. After some research, I read .dmp files and it turns out the Blue Screen is caused by an Nvidia driver(nv4_disp). I D/L driver cleaner and installed the latest driver, gonna try it now…hopefully it will work…

That’s not the exact version of PowerDVD 8, btw. :slight_smile: I’m looking for a build like 1830 or something. But yes, I’m also suspecting your video drivers as a possible issue. Make sure to get the latest nVidia drivers and see if that works for you.