GFX Graphics Card?

hi,

do a lot of video editing/dvd burning and have been advised to go in for a GFX graphics card. i run a dell inspiron 531, vista home, amd x2

the edit program i am currently running is Roxio Creator 2009

any tips please?

thanks

Ric

Use your current, it won’t increase performance anyway.

//Danne

LIke Dizzy said, your cpu is slow thats whats holding you back. Getting a new video card will not help at all. Upgrade you PC to a quad core setup.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2271986]LIke Dizzy said, your cpu is slow thats whats holding you back. [/quote]He didn’t say that :wink:

Getting a new video card will not help at all.
:iagree:
Upgrade you PC to a quad core setup.
This must not necessarily help. If no encoding is involved, then the CPU doesn’t contribute very much either. :slight_smile:

Michael

wow - i’m getting mixed messages - so my 2core is probably ok for my dv projects anyway :-o ?

thanks

R

Video processing is done by the cpu unless the software says it does gpu accelerated encoding.

Which even then is very minimal
//Danne

IF your doing recoding to different formats like redoing HDTV to AVCHD for blu ray players and other things like that then a Quad core will make a huge difference. if your just burning edits of dvd format type things it will be overall a faster machine but it wont do much extra for that sort of work. It’s still going to burn at whatever speed you choose.
If your going to do many things at once more memory will probably help depending on how much you have now and how much the OS can properly recognize.
The video playback will be much improved with a faster video card, especially HD type things but if the rest of the box is slow it depends how much it will help, plus if you get a truly massive up to date card you’ll probably have to get a better power supply to handle all the current and extra power connectors the card will want.
I recently upgraded from a AMD 4600x2 to a 9600 quad with 4 gig of ram and it drops my recodes down about half the time it used to take, but editing and burning once everything is done takes the same amount of time.
Games are very much improved as well but I also have a ATI 3870x2 which helps a lot.:bigsmile:

thanks everyone - i use video edit software to capture ciné footage to dv via Firewire; i also capture old vhs footage to dv via RSA composite; nothing remotely as fancy as HD; i cannot see that my video edit requirements freaked nVidia …

let me get this straight: the motherboard / chipset is - Chipset Type: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE / nForce 430

the actual PCI card is: PCI Express x16 - plug-in card
Graphics Processor / Vendor: ATI Radeon X1300

so it’s[I] not [/I]the graphics card which looped the loop, it was the [I]chipset [/I]- no wonder the pc crashed?! :-o

pc fine now that i have downloaded and installed the official nVidia patch

R