Getting XP

vbimport

I will preface by pointing out that I’m a student and that I need a valid and legal copy of XP to test out various networking gubbins.

Ideally I’d like a genuine copy of XP that I can use with Virtual box for practice.

Having searched various generic sellers all I can seem to find are OEM copies of XP, often sold with COA, some mention a product key and most come with the obligatory chunk of hardware.

Simply put, are these OEM copies valid and can the be used to create a full working VM or two with full functionality of the XP operating system.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

[QUOTE=Pagru;2642989]I will preface by pointing out that I’m a student and that I need a valid and legal copy of XP to test out various networking gubbins.

Ideally I’d like a genuine copy of XP that I can use with Virtual box for practice.

Having searched various generic sellers all I can seem to find are OEM copies of XP, often sold with COA, some mention a product key and most come with the obligatory chunk of hardware.

Simply put, are these OEM copies valid and can the be used to create a full working VM or two with full functionality of the XP operating system.

Any help is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it isnot available to buy anymore that I know of if your wanting a copy you need to contact M$ support to buy a license for XP. We here unfortunately don’t help getting license or COA.

Can you provide any advice as to the general validity of OEM CDs?

Home computer builders have been buying OEM versions of XP for many years. By the terms of the software EULA, the license for an OEM copy of XP is tied to the hardware of the first computer it is put in. People get around this by telling Microsoft that the motherboard has died, and they’ve had to replace it. Microsoft very rarely contests this argument, and so the same software gets used over and over again.

To be free and clear from these maneuvers, you need a retail version of the operating system, which can be used many times, just so long as it is only used in one computer at a time.

So, to answer your question, the OEM version will work, with a bit of prevarication, but it is not legal in strict terms if you are not using the original hardware.

There should be some retail copies of XP floating around Craigslist, or Ebay. The only English hardware forum I visit is called Hexus.net
They have a subforum called Wanted. You might join their forum and post a thread there asking to buy a retail copy of the operating system.

And by the way, asking for clarification on the legality of the OEM versions of Windows XP is in [B]no [/B]way a violation of our forum rules. Pagru has asked a valid question and is welcome to continue the discussion.

most of the OEMs sold on ebay tend to be advertised as unopened unused and with COA and product key, does the same caveat of original machine only still apply? I’ve so far only found one copy advertised as retail which was 4 times the price from a seller with lower feedback :-s To be honest I’m looking for a bargain but I don’t know the product well enough or understand Microsoft’s near labyrinthine licensing to risk breaking copy protection laws :o

You’ll need to be certain that the OEM copy is not tied to a specific vendor, like Dell or HP. If it is free from these restrictions, and the copy is unopened, you should be able to use it on your machine. I’m not sure how you will determine if it has been used previously though. Unscrupulous sellers can shrink wrap the box and cd to make it appear new.

I still think your best bet is to find a used retail copy, which can be transferred between machines with no legal issues. Talk to the people at Hexus.net, since they are in England, and see if there is some local source for you to find a retail copy.

:owhen you said “English” I assumed you meant “not French or German language” not geographically. I was suspicious enough of the OEMs already, believe I’ll be giving them a miss.
I’ll look hexus up,
Thanks

As that’s answered my query can I close this thread down or mark it complete etc?

We don’t close threads here at MyCE, so there is no need for you to do anything else.

Good luck with your search, and come back to the forums anytime.

[QUOTE=Pagru;2643006]:owhen you said “English” I assumed you meant “not French or German language” not geographically. I was suspicious enough of the OEMs already, believe I’ll be giving them a miss.
I’ll look hexus up,
Thanks[/QUOTE]

An OEM copy is just a version intended to be bundled by system builders so you can get some great bargains that way.

They tend to be sold without the bulky packaging or manuals and may have less support options but that’s not an issue if you’re technically aware or rely on the experts here for advice.

So if you can find and OEM version for a decent price from a reliable supplier then I’d go for it.

How much were the ones you were looking at on eBay?

[B]Wombler[/B]

As an alternative, you might consider getting the Professional version of Windows 7, which allows you to download, install, and use a licensed version of Windows XP in a virtual machine; this is also known as Windows XP Mode. It doesn’t run in VirtualBox, but it runs in Microsoft Virtual PC.

Windows XP Mode is not available for the Home versions of Windows 7.

You might be able to purchase an XP upgrade .
I think these are more available .

If you have any older MS OS installed that should work. I think all you actually need is the bootable CD for Windows 98 or maybe another OS . As long as the upgrade package detects a previous MS presence it will install . I’ve only read this & I haven’t tried it.
I’m sure someone here will have some additional information on this .
This is a site where you can download the bootable CD . This is not the OS but just the bootable CD.
http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html

Walk into a computer store and ask for the crappiest computer there is, as long as there is a readable RETAIL (not oem) XP license sticker on it.

Transferring OEM licenses is illegal.
They totally work. But it is illegal.
Nobody will ever notice if you never tell someone. But it is illegal.

Remember, i said transferring OEM licenses is illegal. Don’t do it, because it is illegal, even if nobody will ever find out.

Capice?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2643051]As an alternative, you might consider getting the Professional version of Windows 7, which allows you to download, install, and use a licensed version of Windows XP in a virtual machine; this is also known as Windows XP Mode. It doesn’t run in VirtualBox, but it runs in Microsoft Virtual PC.

Windows XP Mode is not available for the Home versions of Windows 7.[/QUOTE] The correct link is:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
(no slash at the end)

You might also look into MSDN. They offer almost every piece of software M$oft ever wrote. As a student you might be able to get a license from your academie’s IT department.