Getting Windows to recognize the full space of my hard drive

vbimport

I have a 320 GB Seagate SATA hard drive. However, windows only shows 127 GB available. I was fine with this for a while, but now this available space is almost full. How do I unlock the rest of the space, without risking damage to my files?

What version of windows are you using? If xp, go into control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management and see if you have more than one partition on your hard drive. If yes, be sure you know why there is another partition before youi delete it and reclaim the space for ntfs file system.

Im running XP with service pack 3

Heres a screen capture of what disk management shows:

So theres 170 GB of unallocated space. How do I go about unlocking this space in the safest way possible, and does the system treat it as a second partition or just add it on to the existing one?

I’m not a windows guru but I think resizing a partition, in this case your C: drive isn’t something windows handles well, if at all. You could just create another patition of 170GB, it will show up as another drive. probably D:, or you can download one of the free partition managers, I use Gparted, and resize the C: partition to use all of your hard drive. It’s up to you, two logical drives, or just one. Some people see an advantage in having two partitions, one for the OS and programs, the other for data.

[QUOTE=eviltoast499;2156052]Im running XP with service pack 3

Heres a screen capture of what disk management shows:

So theres 170 GB of unallocated space. How do I go about unlocking this space in the safest way possible, and does the system treat it as a second partition or just add it on to the existing one?[/QUOTE]

My advice would’ve been to slipstream SP3 onto XP making it XP SP3. And use the newly made cd to reformat your HDD so that it will recognize the full 320G HDD formatted to NTFS format. That what I would do. Granted you have to backup all your data files but in the end you will just only reinstall the softwares that you installed in the previous XP before going SP3. This will eliminate any future problems that would arise cause of the Service pack update. To allocated that 170G space you now found would be to use the XP SP3 cd and boot from it and tell it to allocate that 170G space for use. This is something you first must do if your going to go this way so that you can then use Windows to format the drive and get back the remaining space that wasn’t previously available to you before.

If you do not want to loose your files, you can simple create a second partition that will be 170 GB in size.

If you are not interested in having 2 partitions, then an application like Partition Magic will easily resize your C: partition to the size of the entire volume.

[QUOTE=bjd223;2156542]If you do not want to loose your files, you can simple create a second partition that will be 170 GB in size.

If you are not interested in having 2 partitions, then an application like Partition Magic will easily resize your C: partition to the size of the entire volume.[/QUOTE]

My take on patition magic it stinks. It lost my two partitions and had to use recovery software to retrieve my files after that experience I delete all traces of partition magic and use xp os disc to make it into one partition and never looked back.

I had the same problem as the OP, and using the info on here managed to get Windows 7 to recognise the other partition, brilliant.

Now I am wondering, I only want the Windows folders in the C drive, and everything else in the larger D drive, however I already have a lot of stuff installed on C. Is it simply a case of dragging the Program Files folder over to the D drive?

Can’t remember whether XP has the feature but in Windows 7 when you are in “Disk Management” and it shows “Unallocated Space” on the HDD just Right Click on the HDD , select “Expand Volume” and just drag it to “Allocate” the rest of the drive. I did this when I changed from a 60G SSD to a 120G SDD and transferred my Image to it…Worked a dream.

If there is another partition on the drive, then it’s a whole different ballgame.