Getting unusual results on playback

vbimport

Hi, all,

I’m new to the forum. Just edited my first DVD using DvdReMake Pro 3.6.3 and burned it to disc, and I’m getting some unusual results on playback, depending on what player I use.

On my Sony DVD-N570H player hooked to my home theater system, at two places in the disc it “stutters” as it starts a new chapter. It plays a few seconds of the chapter, then returns to the beginning of the chapter and then plays straight through. In other words, it doesn’t “loop” continuously, it just “hiccups” then returns to normal play. This is the first DVD the Sony has ever had problems with.

In Nero 9 Showtime it hangs the first time it encounters a hidden block. That’s probably more a reflection of what a piece of crap Nero 9 is than whether there’s anything wrong with the disc, but the original disc plays fine on Showtime.

Windows Media Player plays the disc normally.

All in all, a pretty slick piece of software, if the “stutter” problem can be addressed. Most of my DVD viewing will be on the Sony.

Any help or insight would be welcomed. Thanks!

What kind of edit are you doing? Please be specific. Are you hiding a block in the middle of the movie?

To narrow down the stuttering problem, try to export the whole disc with no modifications and play in the software player.

Sony player is known to be very picky. The stuttering could be due to media quality, firmware not up-to-date, the burn speed, and the burning software used.

[QUOTE=toaddub;2171351]What kind of edit are you doing? Please be specific. Are you hiding a block in the middle of the movie?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply, toaddub. The two edits that the Sony stumbles on were “cut to here” edits. However, there are other “cut to here” edits that the Sony handles with no problem. Plenty of hidden blocks, but no problems with the Sony handling them.

[QUOTE=toaddub;2171351]To narrow down the stuttering problem, try to export the whole disc with no modifications and play in the software player. [/QUOTE]

Hmmm… not exactly sure what you mean. By “software player,” do you mean software player on the computer, like ShowTime or Windows Media Player, vs. the Sony dedicated player? The disc already plays fine in WMP, and ShowTime is so buggy I don’t trust it.

As far as the Sony goes, I would have to burn the exported files to a disc to play them. The original disc is a DVD9 disc, and without editing, it won’t fit onto a DVD5 disc. So I don’t think I can play the exported whole disc with no modifications on the Sony player.

[QUOTE=toaddub;2171351]Sony player is known to be very picky. The stuttering could be due to media quality, firmware not up-to-date, the burn speed, and the burning software used.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I’ll look into this. I’m using Maxell DVD+R media, burning with Nero Burning ROM 9.04d, at “fastest” burn speed. Maybe I’ll slow it down and try with a different brand of media. Also I’ll check the firmware version on the Sony.

Thanks again.

Do you cut to here in the beginning of block sequence or somewhere in the middle of the block sequence in the PGC?

Software player means players that are on the PC. I don’t like WMP and Showtime. I use PowerDVD, WinDVD, Media Player Classic, and other freeware players like KMPlayer, VLC.

Use Imgburn (most recommended and reliable freeware burning software) to burn, and choose half the rated speed of the media.