Getting the best audio quality from DVD rip

vbimport

Hi,

I am just delving into digital audio facts and such. I have the IMTOO Dvd Audio ripper. I have some questions I cannot seem to answer anywhere and hoping some of you pros out there can help. Here are my questions:

1. When ripping the audio from the DVD, should I rip the 2ch or 6ch track? If I rip the 2ch track, it seem that there would be less conversion going on in a rip, but if the 6ch track is more diverse, am I missing anything by ignoring it? (I have ripped wil various codecs and bit rates to compare (lossy and lossless) and the file sizes are identical.

2. If I rip a track to a wav file, why are there settings under the wav settings for highest, lowest and bit rate options? Shouldnt it all rip to 1411bps? It appears it does not effect anything when I tried it various ways but I wanted to be sure I am getting the best rip.

3. IMTOO gives me downsampling options. I think I want to choose “no downsampling” but some of the options I cannot think with. They are: “44.1 no conversion”, “48 to 44.1 high quality”. Since I am ripping from a DVD why would I want to convert it? (in my comparisions there seems to be no difference in any setting). If I am ripping from a DVD, wouldnt “no downsampling” and “44.1 no conversion” be the same. Why are these options at all? It stumped me.

4. I want a lossless rip for archive, but for practical purposes (ipod, etc.) I will have to go lossy. What do you recommend ?(I will rip using 320bps on what ever codec I end up going with). My choices I narrowed it down to are: MP3, AAC, AC3 or M4A. Rip time is not a concern, I will be ripping WAV to listen to when I want lossless. But I wanted the best lossy rip I can make (highest bitrate, best quality, etc.).

5. Lastly, some DVDs I rip at 3.0 normalization are so low, I am raising it to 8.0 or 9.0 to get it to almost a normal level. The auto sensing thing gives me vales of 2.1 or 1.9 usually which are way to low. Should I pump it up to 9.0 to get the sound up or rip it at the recommended level and use another program to normalize. I am looking to the best quality and my guess is if I normalize after the initial rip, I am losing quality? I wrote this up to tech support numerous times and they have no idea how to (or why its tweaking) fix it.

The end results will play in my new Harmon Kardon Logic 7 surround car audio system I just got and I have many concert DVD I want to experience the best sound I can manage.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the novel)!!!

The end results will play in my new Harmon Kardon Logic 7 surround car audio system I just got and I have many concert DVD I want to experience the best sound I can manage.

RTFM and see what format your player prefers…