Getting sued by RIAA means dropping out of college?

vbimport

I just posted the article Getting sued by RIAA means dropping out of college?.

RTV71 and shimman used our news submit to tell us that RIAA is proposing sued students to drop out of  college. shimman added 

"I just don’t know what to say. Piracy is a bad…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11706-Getting-sued-by-RIAA-means-dropping-out-of-college.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11706-Getting-sued-by-RIAA-means-dropping-out-of-college.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Personally if the issue ever came up… I would just ignore them like I have done with some many in the past, present, or future. There is no such thing as open season with my wallet. Nobody has ever seen a dime and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I agree with your ideas, but it’s not that easy to fight against RIAA. Imagine the amount of resources you need to do that. I’d probably prefer to pay the amount they ask, rather then having a job proposal denied due to “court fight” against RIAA.
[edited by nOBeLium on 07.04.2006 18:42]
[edited by nOBeLium on 07.04.2006 18:42]

And, all these poor slobs sued by the music industry immediately ran out and started buying all that music right after being sued, right? I expect the music industry is driving more customers away with their storm trooper tactics than anything else.

I agree with your ideas, but it’s not that easy to fight against RIAA. Imagine the amount of resources you need to do that. I’d probably prefer to pay the amount they ask, rather then having a job proposal denied due to “court fight” against RIAA. Who said fight? Make them work for the $$$$. Im at an interesting point in my life. I never have to work again so that don’t enter into the picture. job proposal denied ?? What kind of place you looking to work for. Last time I checked it was ability to produce for a company. Anybody looking at my history (outside of the job requirments) is a place I do not want to be anywhere near. post made with all respect to your thoughts:)

Extra thought: They are no better or worse then a credit card company or a collection agency. But each has very limited means of actually extorting dollars out of anybody. There are rules to this game. Rules they must follow or they can end up being the payee. People who caved into this support the way its going. 18,000 people X minimum one year each to produce nothing more then a judgment sounds a little expensive. But I understand the fear they try to create. I do not own any music device so I think the music industry is sort of safe. The stinkers the movie industry has been putting out as of lately has them pretty secure as well. Think about this for a minute. They send you a letter telling you to contact a collection agency. I think it’s kind of funny. Through my many years I have gotten many of those yet to this day no one ever seen a dime. Actually in the early years when they broke the rules I ended up collecting from them. Don’t cave in, play dumb. Make them do all the work.

I agree with your opinion, but it is a known fact that companies search our history everywhere. For example, some companies search in health databases to exclude people that have health problems (like diabetes…). Imagine that a company wants to hire a system administrator and they find out you’ve been charged for illegal content download. The company could say “hmm, this guy might use our resources for illegal stuff”. It doesn’t mean others can’t do the same, but the fact that they know you did it with your own resources makes them think again.

It’s time to turn dropouts into soldiers and BURN the RIAA and the Entertainment Industry elitists along with the rest of the corrupt business elitists before it’s too late. But don’t worry. If the RIAA thinks that dropouts will buy their SHIT, they’re gonna BURN in HELL as their profits nosedrive to a jumbojet CRASH !!!

Just a thought and I’m sorry if I am wrong. As I understand it the RIAA do not “charge you” it is a civil action not a criminal one. In a civil action you have no jury, unless you ask for one. To me this is exactly what you do want because the jury decides the penalty, with a bunch of moms and dads fearing to be sued how much are the actually going to award them.

A Pirate is a Pirate, it matters not which side of the desk he is standing!